Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Zorg

Re: Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Postby Zorg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:49 am

I'm beginning to hate Hallmark and I'm not even a subscriber! :lol:
I agree, but they're a business like any other and can price their product as they see fit. They probably want to extort more money from smaller distributors like SD who don't have huge subscriber bases like Comcast or DirecTV. If you don't like it, start your own media company and produce Christmas movies. ;). Oh, hello Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

I can't wait to see Nate & Nick star in "A Connect Quatro Christmas" on the SD Holiday channel. :lol:

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:14 am

I can't wait to see Nate & Nick star in "A Connect Quatro Christmas" on the SD Holiday channel. :lol:
:lol:

Speaking of Christmas movies: The Christmas Chronicles, on Netflix, my wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed. We have all the major, well-known Christmas movies on DVD or BD, so it was nice to see something new that isn't syrupy, sappy, poorly-acted B-grade pap.

I would never have imagined Kurt Russell as Santa Clause :lol:

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 am

Sounds like this is a contract dispute if SD is in talks with Hallmark directly?

If that is true, why couldn't this just be made public from the beginning? It would save a lot of discontent and board posts to just admit it's a contractual issue and not a technical problem. Heck, it might even help SD's position with Hallmark. I've had DirecTV, Dish, & my local cable when all have had disputes with various content providers over the years and they usually run a ticker on the affected channel(s) to tell folks to complain to the provider. Not sure why SD wouldn't do the same. Focus your gripey-customers' frustration elsewhere. ;)
It might not be a contract dispute. It might be a "caught with their pants down" type of moment with some specialized hardware coming from China that they didn't have a backup unit for, or some such. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

GAHomeRunner

Postby GAHomeRunner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm

My wife is hopefull Hallmark returns.
Since starting the premium service about a month ago, I've been wondering what the carrier of the signal is we enjoy. I think I stumbled on the answer when a station our Nanny watches went offline. It was BET. The channel was broadcasting the screensaver with an AT&T DirectTV logo floating around. I'm not a consumer nor business fan of AT&T. I wonder if the saga of the missing Hallmark Channel is more about AT&T's business practices than it is Silicon Dust and Hallmark.

Also, I know AT&T is going to roll out its TV streaming service. I wonder if that is going to use SD HDHR hardware.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 pm

My wife is hopefull Hallmark returns.
Since starting the premium service about a month ago, I've been wondering what the carrier of the signal is we enjoy. I think I stumbled on the answer when a station our Nanny watches went offline. It was BET. The channel was broadcasting the screensaver with an AT&T DirectTV logo floating around. I'm not a consumer nor business fan of AT&T. I wonder if the saga of the missing Hallmark Channel is more about AT&T's business practices than it is Silicon Dust and Hallmark.

Also, I know AT&T is going to roll out its TV streaming service. I wonder if that is going to use SD HDHR hardware.
It isn't AT&T. It is Omniverse One World Television, Inc., or some such.

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 pm

See this article for insight on the backend service SD and other smaller providers are using:

https://www.techhive.com/article/330943 ... vices.html

Form your own opinions.

Birkholze

Postby Birkholze » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:58 am

It might not be a contract dispute. It might be a "caught with their pants down" type of moment with some specialized hardware coming from China that they didn't have a backup unit for, or some such. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.
I would've agreed with you if this outage was only a few days old. It doesn't take that long to get something from China, unless it's literally a custom part - I really doubt that could be the case.

I work in manufacturing and we have parts overnighted from China almost routinely. Even custom fabricated parts for our tooling that breaks is replaced in less than a week.

Also, if it's that vital to your service and hard to replace, you keep an extra.

The silence on this is becoming incredibily frustrating.

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 am

The silence is because they don't know what the problem is other than Omniverse is having problems, and because there's apparently nothing they can do about it.

Which doesn't get them off the hook in my book, to be clear.

mikeg26

Postby mikeg26 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:39 am

SD said that they would let us know the issue by yesterday and have NOT.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 am

I would've agreed with you if this outage was only a few days old. It doesn't take that long to get something from China, unless it's literally a custom part - I really doubt that could be the case.

I work in manufacturing and we have parts overnighted from China almost routinely. Even custom fabricated parts for our tooling that breaks is replaced in less than a week.

Also, if it's that vital to your service and hard to replace, you keep an extra.

The silence on this is becoming incredibly frustrating.
The reason I considered that as a potential scenario is because I had a similar instance with my ISP a few years ago. A major switch went out or something (according to one of their employees) and the replacement had to ship from China. They installed in an old switch as a backup which couldn't handle the bandwidth during prime time. It took about two weeks before everything was fixed.

I agree that it's not the most likely scenario though.

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:22 pm

The silence on this is becoming incredibly frustrating.
The reason I considered that as a potential scenario is because I had a similar instance with my ISP a few years ago. A major switch went out or something (according to one of their employees) and the replacement had to ship from China. They installed in an old switch as a backup which couldn't handle the bandwidth during prime time. It took about two weeks before everything was fixed.

I agree that it's not the most likely scenario though.
It's not likely at all. Omniverse is having a problem with Hallmark, and nothing I have read about the former is filling me with confidence that they are in a good position to fix it. Their business providing channels downstream is based on an old cable distribution agreement the owner has. Which is why the channels they have are what they have, and why many are limited to a particular time zone/distributor.

Who knows what happens when they have a problem with one of the channels. Other than the end users don't get it, of course. As the reseller for said service Silicon Dust apparently can't do much either, or if they can they aren't discussing it. Not a great showing for this service as a whole. [removed by moderator - see forum rules]

alexander7567

Postby alexander7567 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Just chiming in to see if there is any kind of an update?

mike3

Postby mike3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 pm

So I decided to let my service renew even though it’s missing hallmark. I had to pay to add ***** into the mic to please the wife.

Overall im happy with the service and stage 2 that’s around the corner. Plus the mention of additional channels and providers coming into the mix.

boozcruz81

Postby boozcruz81 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:50 am

SD said that they would let us know the issue by yesterday and have NOT.
I just saw this and wanted to correct it. I said that I would update on Friday with whatever news I could. I have done this. See the health thread. I never promised more than that. I hate that the the update I gave wasn’t especially substantial, but that’s how it is sometimes. My next promise is to update again on Monday. It’s possible that update will be just as frustrating. I am sorry there wasn’t more to say.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”