Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ZacMan
Device ID: 10115FF2, 1033A485, 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Re: Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Postby ZacMan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I wouldn't have known Hallmark was missing if I hadn't read it here. I'm not a fan of Christmas movies, although "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was pretty good. But for me, the best Christmas movie of all time was "Die Hard."
The Nightmare Before Christmas and Die Hard are the best of all the Christmas movies.

I never watch Hallmark but definitely a bummer for those who do this time of year. Hopefully they can get it all worked out soon.

TeleFragger

Postby TeleFragger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 pm

This thread is interesting... ontop of a few others...

my wife requires CMT and Hallmark... point blank.. REQUIRES
so this service wont work for me...

don't bash me as im not bashing the product here BUT...
TAB BOOT THE COST!! $35/m... you are kidding right? another nix....
so many other options with more channels for that price

long reply coming that you can read or not... hah..

so I went to cut the cord - well cut Xfinity's cord... and I did.. dropped their TV service and only have internet.

I have an HD Homerun Connect Quatro and have it working. el cheapo $30 antenna in my attic and I get all channels (locally) except 1... channel 6 - ABC. That channel is hard to get and I could get a better antenna, etc but that is another topic.

during my evaluation of getting rid of cable tv... I did extensive testing.
OTA/Sony PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now...

OTA - cheap as its free... but limited on small channel set.. does not have CMT or Hallmark but can be obtained for $5/m each on their site..
Sony - 2 neighbors have it, love it, dvr, etc.. but pay $45/m... Has Hallmark and CMT and my local OTA channels!!!!
DTV Now - well im an at&t unlimited customer and get a $15 credit when it was $30/m so with tax $22/m.... and has hallmark and CMT and my local OTA channels!!!!

I went with DTV Now and love it.. has its quirks and all. but works. I have thought of getting rid of it and going with something else and when I just fired up my hd homerun connect quatro card right now... did an update, etc and saw all these channels down in 1xxx I was like.. whats this? looks good and sharp but im not gonna pay that price for those few channels...

just my input...

after cutting the cord and going streaming wife doesn't really watch CMT anymore but does Hallmark.. she loves all that mushy xmas stuff, valentines movies, etc... but still I can get Hallmark channel on their site for $5/m... gotta see if I can use roku or apple 4k tv as that is what we use for DTV Now...

on a side note... I may go back to xfinity as a new customer for a 2y deal if in the end it is cheaper...

we will see if this post gets deleted. im not bashing silicon dust.. I have their hd homerun prime and loved it when I used it, hd homerun quatro and heck.. if I go back to xfinity on a 2y deal, im gonna get the new hdhomerun prime 6 so they still getting my money!!!!!!

ive got tutorials on all this OTA stuff and cable tv when I started.. check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLRSRF ... X2g/videos

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm

This thread is interesting... ontop of a few others...
Sony - 2 neighbors have it, love it, dvr, etc.. but pay $45/m... Has Hallmark and CMT and my local OTA channels!!!!
DTV Now - well im an at&t unlimited customer and get a $15 credit when it was $30/m so with tax $22/m.... and has hallmark and CMT and my local OTA channels!!!!

I went with DTV Now and love it.. has its quirks and all. but works. I have thought of getting rid of it and going with something else and when I just fired up my hd homerun connect quatro card right now... did an update, etc and saw all these channels down in 1xxx I was like.. whats this? looks good and sharp but im not gonna pay that price for those few channels...
In my opinion the total amount of channels isn't the issue. I realized I really only watched about 12 channels out of any cable lineup. It is just a matter of what channels are missing, and if those missing channels are worth the tradeoffs or the extra cost.

All the cloud DVRs so far automatically delete your shows after a preset time, which makes it hard to binge watch something after the season is over. So that is the main benefit of HDHR PTV for me. However, Hallmark going offline during the Christmas season is a show stopper for at least one person in my family.

Unless Silicon Dust gives us a really good explanation that convinces me it won't happen again, then we'll probably never be back. Sadly.

TeleFragger

Postby TeleFragger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm

I agree with you... 700 channels with xfinity and I watched 20...

for me.. to "Cut the cord" … an app that has my local channels.. abc, cbs, fox adds as then I don't need an ota piece.

like I said.. you can get hallmark cheap but it isn't the "Live" tv and haven't tried it yet. I may try the 7d trial to actually see to know what im talking about :lol:
https://www.hmnow.com/prices-membership

im in it for the savings... if you go to my youtube I posted.. I even had with cable tv... dvr, commercial removal, change to mp4 and move to plex... also stream via nextpvr, hdhomerun, plex... can still do with OTA...
so yeah I still gotta see more of what does PTV give you that makes it worth it.. ill be digging more.. thanks!

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm

for me.. to "Cut the cord" … an app that has my local channels.. abc, cbs, fox adds as then I don't need an ota piece.

like I said.. you can get hallmark cheap but it isn't the "Live" tv and haven't tried it yet. I may try the 7d trial to actually see to know what im talking about :lol:

im in it for the savings... if you go to my youtube I posted.. I even had with cable tv... dvr, commercial removal, change to mp4 and move to plex... also stream via nextpvr, hdhomerun, plex... can still do with OTA...
so yeah I still gotta see more of what does PTV give you that makes it worth it.. ill be digging more.. thanks!
The 'big draw' is that PTV stuff that gets recorded is stored locally and you can do anything you want with it. Some fat corporate executive and his 40 lawyers will try to explain that I don't really own anything, and he may be right, but if I steal his Limo, it's mine and he's calling an Uber - so possession is 9/10 of the law even when it's illegal.

:D

As for the channels, yea, they could be a bit different for me and since no Broadcast Network guys make it into this canyon via an antenna that represents a giant hole in the plan. Right now, however I'm more concerned with quality rather than content. Content can change, but the quality needs to go up several notches or it won't matter if it's the best lineup in the universe.

Zig

Postby Zig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:36 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

TeleFragger

Postby TeleFragger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:44 pm

how big are the dvr recordings???
per 1h show?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:47 pm

how big are the dvr recordings???
per 1h show?
Approximately 1GB for 1h.

TeleFragger

Postby TeleFragger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:05 pm

interesting... same as plex dvr….
they are .ts files.. I will setup mcebuddy to cut commercials, re-encode into another format and move to plex.. then size should be 400mb...

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:39 pm

When we tried the Hallmark Now app the movie selection was limited and seemed to be months behind. It wasn't a substitute for the live channel if you were previously caught up and wanted new movies instead of movies you had already seen and during the season they were designed around.

If it had been more like Hulu or the CW where content from the live channel is only a day (or even a week) behind, that is probably what we'd be doing. It is nothing like the HBO app.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Kinda sounds like Hallmark likes to screw with customers?

Wildcat_1

Postby Wildcat_1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Anyone seen an update on this @nickk any light you can shed on this ? Thanks

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Anyone seen an update on this @nickk any light you can shed on this ? Thanks
Well nick did edit his his post on the Health/Status thread saying:
"edit from Nate 11/27: Unfortunately, not much to report. We are continuing to work with Hallmark to resolve. If service does not return by Friday, will provide a new update then."

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:33 am

Sounds like this is a contract dispute if SD is in talks with Hallmark directly?

If that is true, why couldn't this just be made public from the beginning? It would save a lot of discontent and board posts to just admit it's a contractual issue and not a technical problem. Heck, it might even help SD's position with Hallmark. I've had DirecTV, Dish, & my local cable when all have had disputes with various content providers over the years and they usually run a ticker on the affected channel(s) to tell folks to complain to the provider. Not sure why SD wouldn't do the same. Focus your gripey-customers' frustration elsewhere. ;)

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am

I'm beginning to hate Hallmark and I'm not even a subscriber! :lol:

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”