Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
pixelstuff

Re: Hallmark Offline - and missing on the tuner

Postby pixelstuff » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Almost a full week offline.

Boggles .... the .... mind.

On another note, in lieu of a credit (which I don't expect, because I still think of this as a beta test), I hope we get a detailed and technical explanation of what happened.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Hopefully this gets fixed soon...or actually hopefully DRM works soon.

lsawyer

Postby lsawyer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:37 am

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 am

Seems like at the very lease we should get some type of credit.
At 2½¢ per day per channel, you're up to 18¢.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Seems like at the very lease we should get some type of credit.
At 2½¢ per day per channel, you're up to 18¢.
Well except the value of entertainment isn't always calculated like that. Often in the entertainment industry if you are late or fail to provide you get penalty fees at rates that would quickly cause you to lose money in just a few hours or days. Depends on the contract of course and how much value the lateness detracted from the money the company could make.

I wonder if SiliconDust has an uptime contract with their provider. How many subscribers have they lost from this outage who won't be back for 3 to 6 months or even never? I'm waiting for an explanation before I just cancel the renewal. I have 6 more days.

lsawyer

Postby lsawyer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:06 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

PlanetIX

Postby PlanetIX » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Just adding to the chorus that losing the Hallmark channel during the Thanksgiving-Christmas period is incredibly bad, whatever the reason, and some communication beyond "we gave support a few days off for Thanksgiving" would be nice.

If it is some rights/price war issue (which wouldn't surprise me, given this is the only time of year that channel has any real leverage) that's one thing, but if it is just some technical foul-up....not a great sign for the future of this service if it just stays offline with no updates.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 pm

My month is coming to an end.

Please don’t force me to go with another service because of this channel.

raygu303

Postby raygu303 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Well... If one channel is gone, shouldn't our bill go down a $1 :lol: ? Obviously if it's a rights issue, it would be nice to know! My wife just came back from seeing her family in TX, and she was bummed that Hallmark was gone! I'm assuming that SD (or whoever they get their channels from) doesn't have the muscle to negotiate their prices like Dish, DirecTV, or Comcrap. I've been a Premium sub since late August or Early September. In my opinion, they shouldn't have started advertising their OTT service yet and should've kept it in beta until at least Stage 2 is ready to go! And let us early adopters be the guinea pigs until then. But what do I know? Just my two cents!

Jbpete

Postby Jbpete » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Just adding to the chorus that losing the Hallmark channel during the Thanksgiving-Christmas period is incredibly bad, whatever the reason, and some communication beyond "we gave support a few days off for Thanksgiving" would be nice.

If it is some rights/price war issue (which wouldn't surprise me, given this is the only time of year that channel has any real leverage) that's one thing, but if it is just some technical foul-up....not a great sign for the future of this service if it just stays offline with no updates.
I think you nailed it on the head. Hallmark must want more money. This really is literally the only time my wife watches hallmark channel and the only time they would have any leverage. This is the only explanation that seems to make sense to me for the channel to just go down for a week + especially around the time they are releasing all their new holiday movies.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 am

9 day outage seems too impossible to be a hardware issue. At this point, should be just plan on Hallmark not coming back until January once the new Christmas movies have finished airing?

Even if it comes back, I think the problem I have now is whether I can depend on it in the future. I currently have DirecTV Now alongside the test run for HDHR PTV, so having Hallmark go out during their Christmas lineup wasn't too big of a deal. But, after this kind of "glitch" what guarantee can I have that it won't happen again next year around Christmas.

I'm not going to subscribe to two services forever, so I have to decide which one has the least risk. Since Hallmark is one of the channels my family considers "mandatory" then I'm wondering whether I can ever depend on PTV to work when it should, and when it's most important.
Last edited by pixelstuff on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am

No Hallmark channel...? No risk of being forced to watch their Christmas specials or any of their programming at all? OMG, I'll pay an extra $5 a month if you leave it off! My poor nephew and his wife were visiting for Thanksgiving and she was on her phone scheduling their DVR at home to record EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of the Christmas movies. :o Unimaginable...
But, ya know, to each his own. Just glad my wife doesn't like that kind of entertainment and actually likes SciFi.

Jim

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am

Just glad my wife doesn't like that kind of entertainment and actually likes SciFi.
So does mine. And, after being married to me, lo these many years, she's even grown to like action/adventure movies. Well, some of 'em. But she still likes stuff like Hallmark probably has. The other night she had four "I've never heard of these before" Christmas movies lined up on Netflix. And, yeah: The first one was every bit as horrible as I figured it would be. She liked it, though :)

The scary part is that was the most highly-rated one Image

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm

I wouldn't have known Hallmark was missing if I hadn't read it here. I'm not a fan of Christmas movies, although "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was pretty good. But for me, the best Christmas movie of all time was "Die Hard."

drmargarit

Postby drmargarit » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm

I wouldn't have known Hallmark was missing if I hadn't read it here. I'm not a fan of Christmas movies, although "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was pretty good. But for me, the best Christmas movie of all time was "Die Hard."
DH is one of the very few movies, like Terminator 2, Star Wars 4, etc that I will watch until the end if I happen across it flipping through channels. Notice that you can't find it on any of the streaming services this time of year but you can in the summertime. Hallmark is just following DH's lead.

JLM

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”