PTV Micro Pauses

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
johnluber

PTV Micro Pauses

Postby johnluber » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 am

First, PTV is the answer that our family has been searching for since we began our cord cutting experience a few years back. We absolutely love having our favorite "cable" channels integrated into a single interface along with our OTA channels. And, the Channels DVR experience in our Apple ecosystem is just plain simple to manage and use. Great job!

That said, we've been seeing, since inception of PTV, very short (ie; sub-second to a second or 2) pauses in the PTV stream. They normally happen within the first few minutes of tuning a PTV channel, but do persist, less frequently, throughout the stream duration. Pausing the channel normally creates enough buffer to eliminate them altogether. Diagnostics seem to indicate that he cause is an empty buffer.

We don't have difficulty with any other streaming services - Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, or NFL Sunday Ticket. Nor do we have any other ISP related issues. The majority of the setup is hardwired though the problem does not discriminate as to hardwire or wireless.

I've seen suggestion that this might be a known PTV issue on these forums but, honestly, have not seen, that I recall, a direct admission of this. The evidence does seem to suggest strongly that it is PTV at the source. Can anyone from SD comment and suggest either 1) how to mitigate or 2) what's being done on the SD side to mitigate?

Absolutely love the additional channels with PTV; great progress on the quality the far. Fixing the micro pauses and the addition of the Velocity channel would wrap this offering up for us.

Thanks for such a great experience!

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: PTV Micro Pauses

Postby ACraigo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 am

Hi,

Which client app/device are you using?

Nick

johnluber

Postby johnluber » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi Nick

I am using the Channels DVR app v3.2.10 on the AppleTV4 & 4K

John

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm

The symptom could suggest a problem with the rate adaption in the Channels app.

Nick

johnluber

Postby johnluber » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Thank you. I'll pass this along to the Channels folks.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Thank you. I'll pass this along to the Channels folks.
Did you ever hear back on this?

johnluber

Postby johnluber » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes. Channels built a beta that increased the buffer to 2s at the start of a stream. It helps but the problem still persists some.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”