Hallmark Channel - screw ups

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
spencer777

Re: Hallmark Channel - screw ups

Postby spencer777 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:41 pm

I actually like the fact that NickK gave his support staff the holiday weekend off. Holidays are meant to be with family, ...
Indeed. I recall a kinder, gentler time when everything except essential services were closed on holidays. I look at how society is today, and remember what it was like back then, and cannot help but feel we've taken a Wrong Turn.

I wish more companies would follow SD's example in this case.
+2
I remember when everything was closed on Sundays and stores were only open 2 nights a week. We got buy.

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:58 pm

I actually like the fact that NickK gave his support staff the holiday weekend off. Holidays are meant to be with family, ...
Indeed. I recall a kinder, gentler time when everything except essential services were closed on holidays. I look at how society is today, and remember what it was like back then, and cannot help but feel we've taken a Wrong Turn.

+2
I remember when everything was closed on Sundays and stores were only open 2 nights a week. We got buy.
Welcome the Age of Instant AND EXPECTED Gratification...future historians will write
about it as the "Facebook Age"

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:21 pm

+2
Welcome the Age of Instant AND EXPECTED Gratification...future historians will write
about it as the "Facebook Age"
And this is why our children have a melt down at 24 years old when things do not go their way and they riot

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Seriously? In my business support staff is always on call during holidays. We should expect any future holiday problems to be ignored? Not sure I want to stay signed up for this level of service.

Considering this problem and the "pixelation on a strong signal" problem, I'm glad I have a return window on most of the hardware I've invested in for this experiment. It would be so perfect if SD actually provided what they advertise.

In both these problems, there is no real comment from SD suggesting they are getting close to a resolution. Customer communication goes a long way to keeping the peace.
2.2% of the services not working does not constitute an emergency. 97.8% of the services provided are working. SiliconDust just entered into a service business, and their services are not a critical service. So there is no need for the staff to work a holiday weekend. I'm sure the staff is on call if something major happens, but 2.2% of the services I would not constitute as major. Give the guys who worked so hard for this to happen a break. If they have family, let them enjoy that time. We are supposed to work to live, not live to work.

This of course is a different story for those who work in critical services, such as medical, police, and fire. Streaming TV is not a critical service. Shut off your TV on the holiday and spend it with your family talking.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:59 am

Hopefully today we will see a fix for this channel.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:16 am

Shouldn't we, like, stick to the tech support here and not begrudge others because they're upset the service isn't working for them?

The real value of a missing channel is impossible to gauge. Everyone's needs are different. My household doesn't care about Hallmark (especially this time of year) so its existence is largely irrelevant to me. But that would *not* be the case for some of my in-laws family, for example. They'd regard the loss of Hallmark during this holiday weekend, as a serious failure because part of their family traditions are to bake, cook, chat, and watch those sappy Christmas Hallmark movies together. *That* is their nostalgia; watching the same old cynical-lawyer-move-to-the-country-and-find-true-love-and-a-dog movie. In fact, I'm glad I hadn't sold them on ditching their cable and going with HDP because *my* phone would have been ringing. ;)

Others (me!) gripe about the lack of PQ and intermittent buffering issues. Many don't see it or have no problems.

Point is, everyone has different values that need to be respected, and I think it's pretty curmudgeonly to tell that guy to just go light some candles and tell stories about the blizzard of '52 rather than griping that Hallmark is offline.

SD is absolutely welcome to chose whether to offer support over a holiday weekend. And I agree; their folks deserve time off with their families too! If their infrastructure (or their provider's infrastructure) is solid enough to handle a few days on its own, great. But if not, tthen the risk is exactly this thread. Ultimately it's quite simple. If you don't like their policies, product, or service, we're in a golden age of OTT providers. No one is stopping you from switching.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:50 am, edited 9 times in total.

mcrommert

Postby mcrommert » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:27 am

If its a matter of it being down its one thing

If it is gone than i need money back as that channel is the single reason i have premium right now

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:14 am

Shouldn't we, like, stick to the tech support here and not begrudge others because they're upset the service isn't working for them?

The real value of a missing channel is impossible to gauge. Everyone's needs are different. My household doesn't care about Hallmark (especially this time of year) so its existence is largely irrelevant to me. But that would *not* be the case for some of my in-laws family, for example. They'd regard the loss of Hallmark during this holiday weekend, as a serious failure because part of their family traditions are to bake, cook, chat, and watch those sappy Christmas Hallmark movies together. *That* is their nostalgia; watching the same old cynical-lawyer-move-to-the-country-and-find-true-love-and-a-dog movie. In fact, I'm glad I hadn't sold them on ditching their cable and going with HDP because *my* phone would have been ringing. ;)

Others (me!) gripe about the lack of PQ and intermittent buffering issues. Many don't see it or have no problems.

Point is, everyone has different values that need to be respected, and I think it's pretty curmudgeonly to tell that guy to just go light some candles and tell stories about the blizzard of '52 rather than griping that Hallmark is offline.

SD is absolutely welcome to chose whether to offer support over a holiday weekend. And I agree; their folks deserve time off with their families too! If their infrastructure (or their provider's infrastructure) is solid enough to handle a few days on its own, great. But if not, tthen the risk is exactly this thread. Ultimately it's quite simple. If you don't like their policies, product, or service, we're in a golden age of OTT providers. No one is stopping you from switching.
Agreed, but now it’s Monday. So my hope is they get it ironed out. My hope is, we actually get the channel back.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am

I wannnnntttt my hallmark tv... :)

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 am

If its a matter of it being down its one thing

If it is gone than i need money back as that channel is the single reason i have premium right now
It is down, not gone. We expect it to be back this week. If we do ever actually lose a channel, we'll post the news here first.

DataBaseGuy

Postby DataBaseGuy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:40 am

Agree with the sentiment regarding holidays and families... however, did not the Hallmark outage begin Tuesday morning? NickK, thanks for the update (you provided yesterday).

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Overall, I'm happy with the response. We asked for updates and we were given updates. Fuming because you dislike the update isn't very productive.

to the person(s) threatening to return their gear and cease this "experiment," over 1 channel's downtime... please, by all means, go back to what you feel is more reliable. Also, Hallmark is one of the most watched channels in our household, but we're not going to threaten to leave SD's Premium TV offerings for 1 channel.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I had about $120/mo in satellite subs. $35/mo for the channels we get is peanuts & we also have ***** for $16/mo as a backup. All told, much cheaper.

Having said that, please please please get Hallmark back soon.. the wife is constantly like.. why does the guide show no information on Hallmark now? ...and yes, show knows to use ***** for now. >.<

Jbpete

Postby Jbpete » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Just wanted to add my voice to the issue. My wife is really missing Hallmark as they are currently releasing their 2018 new Christmas movies. I am glad to hear it will be back up this week. Looking forward to hearing it is back up. I just recently switched over to the premium tv and have been pretty happy so far.

alexander7567

Postby alexander7567 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:06 pm

We just noticed this as well. Is there an expected day? Is there anything I need to do on my side to ensure I get the channel back as soon as possible? My wife is loosing recordings as well..

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Agree with the sentiment regarding holidays and families... however, did not the Hallmark outage begin Tuesday morning? NickK, thanks for the update (you provided yesterday).
It did begin Tuesday. Suspiciously the day before their big 5 new movie stretch began.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”