What things do you like about Premium TV?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
TheRafCave

Re: What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby TheRafCave » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:09 am

I love HDHonerun I have 6 tuners, WAF Is great, price Is amazing, quality I hear Is getting better soon. Huge plus having PLEX Itergration with DVR recording!

Downside Is I can't watch WWE live on USA because I'm In Central time. 😕

ibedonc

Postby ibedonc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am

I LOVE HDHomerun! I am an evangelist for this product!
I have one of the earlier tuners that could be connected to cable that's now obsolete due to channel frequency modulation cable companies now deploy. You guys have come a long way since that device.
I've had my Connect Quatro for a year and have been “playing with it” for a year trying to find a way to meet family needs and be more fiscally responsible. But I'm the techie by trade.
Others in my household were hesitant on their ability to navigate HDHR for OTA channels. Then use other apps including DirectTV Now and YouTube TV for their "cable" broadcast “fix”. Sugar and TV are the “crack” of our culture!

I wish, HDHR would have marketed better what was coming. As an HDHR Connect Quattro owner, advice of the upcoming product rollout of Premium options would have made me be the first in line. I would have JUMPED on it then instead of stumbling on it during another one of my test rounds months later.
HDHR product and marketing needs some help to get this out of a being tech device to a friendly mainstream take down of Crumcast, Chartless, and other monopolies the are overcharging people for what many can get from the airwaves. Putting both OTA and premium stations in one interface is phenomenal and needs to be shouted from the rooftops. (Hmm, but those big monopolies might lobby congress to take you down.)

I've been in the advertising business. Need anyone with advertising and technical skills who helps others navigate the user interface that can sale? I'm your man!!! (Really, I'm asking!) And there are legal battles with copyright issues with relaying signals. I work with lawyers by day.

WAY TO GO
We've been watching the premium channels. The ability to get OTA plus the current lineup (HGTV, Disney, BET, Hallmark, Lifetime, ESPN) drew us in. (My hunch is the lineup is just the beginning and there are plans for more broadcast offerings down the road.) But you want to get things "right" now. In that vein, the USER INTERFACE should be the primary focus. Visuals are great. Most people without realizing it are visual people. Posters for shows and movies are great for that. But the lack of text based, channel based, recording based guides is sorely lacking.

If you need any beta testing, please let me be the first in line. I've talked to a lot of people in the past year about HDHR. (I had one of the previous devices allowing direct tuning to a single device

- OTA & Premium Channels in ONE interface. (Gives even the novice, techno scared folks a glimmer of hope to unshackle from broadcast monopolizers.)
- Limitless DVR ability with BYOT. (Great for tech centric folks. Not easily accessible for non-tech savvy folks.)
- Audio and video quality as of November is beyond acceptable for basic viewing. (Theater surround sound and projection quality testing forthcoming.)
- Yes, I really did this. I setup a side by side “taste test” between HDHR and Comcast so members of my household across the ages and skill levels could see for themselves. Thy could not distinguish which was which. Other members included my spouse, a young adult child, and a 76-year-old resident.

Salvation: this solution is the salvation from monopolies that have brainwashed the public that we need them for news, sports, one eyed babysitter, and general home entertainment at ever increasing and overpriced rates.

NEEDS SOME WORK
Marketing. As an owner of an older product, and owner of the Connect Quatro for over a year, how is it I did not receive news of the premium channel offering? We’ve got to get this product marketed and over the hump of a technical marvel to one that can be easily installed and used by less technical proficient people.

The interface within HDHR. Accessing information needs to be more intuitive and natural across platforms, devices, etc. no matter the method.
But the GUI needs to be understood to end-users across the vast group like our household (50 something tech husband and his wife, 18-year-old son, 9-year-old daughter, 76-year-old nanny, 80 something grandparents.) Reach that group, and you have it!

Channel changing is not fluid across devices and platforms. It may be device, or OS version related.

A text/grid-based guide with the options to sort by…
-channel (alpha/numerical/call sign, network, etc.)
The current live view with no ability to sort can be overwhelming for nearly 100 stations. I like the visual poster cover look however.

The Recorded screen is overwhelming.
The initial recorded guide can be overwhelming.
If showing Shows vs Movies, why the need for All Shows. That’s duplicative.
My end users like the separated shows and movies.

WISH LIST
Currently sorting of recorded items is viewed alphabetically. Could there be an option for MOST RECENT? Perhaps that could replace All Recordings and show items from the past week.

I like the ability to click on the shows then see items in list view underneath. I’m going back in time and DVRing Bewitched for example. Seeing the list of episodes and synopsis of those is great.
But when recording a newer show that has current season and is syndicated like Modern Family, could there be a way to set recording current season, and select syndicated airings from a particular station?

Duplicate airings. Would there be a way to check what is already recorded so that the same episode does not get recorded a second time? Or perhaps be able to record first airings in current season without repeats?

I love that the most recent season and episode sorts first in descending order on the show’s recorded screen.

DVR for the non-techies. Either a simple plug and play or cloud based offering would be great.

TUNER USE: With all the flexibility of recordings, could there be a setting to maintain a number of tuners for live viewing? We hit the no tuner available the other day for live viewing due to my ravenous recording schedule. I plan to add at least one more Quattro tuner.

Are there any plans to be able to access the device and recordings outside of your home network? Or perhaps to “take the recordings” with you as an easy download to your mobile device or computer?

Sign off…for now
Thanks for a great product. Please don’t forget you have someone to beta test or even a new work colleague!
I do not know about PLEX , but MYTHTV allows you to reserve tuners just for livetv

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 am

Late to this thread.....

Overall would give you guys a 4/5 so far.. Not excellent, but is good enough to make use switch. Here's why..

1. Commitment to improve the service
On Day 0 of premium TV the VQ wasn't worth the money.. too many issues that would result in blocking, and more importantly family complains. So much so I only signed up to give it a proper trial and cancelled quickly.
But in 2 weeks you guys made lots of changes, and continued to invest time and resources to get the VQ to the point where it's good enough, and SD has expressed commitment to get better.

2. Integration into single app
Having OTA, DVR and PTV in one app now means the HDHomeRun App is by far the most used app on my android and firetv boxes by everyone. Seamlessly moving between channels means everything to family harmony

3. Home DVR of PTV
Being able to get to the PTV content easily so I can clip/edit content for work. (sorry - I use clips to show others where your transcoders are failing you and where my employers solutions should be doing better ;) (but I also do OTA clips too))

4. Value for money -
With above - $35/mo for upto 4 simultaneous streams is a nice sweet spot. Obviously everyone wants it lower... but if it were to be higher the other flaws would start to become an issue

consorts
Device ID: 378163771 55318008

Postby consorts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 pm

i would LIKE if you dumped disney+espn+abc+a&e and made a scaled down premium sub for $20/mo 8-)

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/12/ ... isney.aspx

rljnc

Postby rljnc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Well I did like it a lot had a great wife factor all her stations were right there, she got use to it and then they were gone, so back to PS Vue.

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Y'all and your analogies and arguing over them are hilarious.

The first reason is you think we going to buy something is how it works. no matter the analogy, we aren't the decision maker. The content media people are.

You want just one channel? lol. Too bad.

NBC owns 15 or 20 of the cable channels, they know half or better are shit, but the two you want if you want those you gotta pay for all these other ones too.

Same for ABC/Disney and CBS.

If you want ESPN you gotta pay them regardless if people watch it or not. so you got 500,000 customers? that'll be $2 a customer please, never mind only 100,000 people watch it, everyone has to pay 2 bucks a month.

that's why cord cutting became a thing, until the content monopolies are crushed it'll never stop, and since Youtube got bought by google and is in the business of streaming other content now and pushing that every day they're not the option.

but argue away on this forum, cuz it'll clearly solve something if you compare it to hamburgers and steaks. which is kinda funny because there are only so many steaks per cow and a lot more ground beef so every steak means 2x hamburger patties and all that but ... hey lets not let that stop this threadnaught.

xnappo

Postby xnappo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 pm

But.. I don't want ESPN and I don't care if that also means channel x/y/z - I want a package without them. I understand they come in packages, so just offer them by owner.

That said, this isn't the place to discuss - agree - because SD is buying upstream.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

But.. I don't want ESPN and I don't care if that also means channel x/y/z - I want a package without them. I understand they come in packages, so just offer them by owner.

That said, this isn't the place to discuss - agree - because SD is buying upstream.
It is easy to get side tracked in forums discussing technology.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:01 pm

I like my $25 a month TV Service but am also sure that's not sustainable long term for SiliconDust.

epete

Postby epete » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:07 am

1. Cost is exactly what it should be.
2. DRM Free recordings
3. Channel Lineup is similar to basic cable and covers my must have's
4. closest product available that matches what I used to have with Microsoft Windows Media Center + CableCard

I answered these questions with the assumption that you wanted to know what customers don't want SiliconDust to mess with when making improvements.

sspell

Postby sspell » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:29 am

The channels right now for $25 seems a good price. Wish I had the package for $35 with the lost channels but is what it is. I don't know if it's sustainable for SD but anymore than $25 for what we get now would be unsustainable for me. For now it's just a good TV streaming service and because of the DVR that makes it really good... Ha! The WAF is so much better as she has learned the UI she chooses the SD app always because of it's simplicity not too much to comprehend. And shhh! don't let her hear me say that!...

Sturmie

Postby Sturmie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 am

I'm about halfway through my trial and probably won't continue. The integration with Plex is great and the main reason I even gave it a shot, but the quality is so-so when compared to other streaming offerings (like the WatchESPN or FoxSport Go apps)...I've seen others mention 480p, which seems about right. The channel selection is fine, but I think what my wife and I realized is that we don't really watch a lot of live TV...outside of the local/national news (which we can get OTA) and live sports, 99% of what we watch is available on other streaming services like Netflix/Hulu or part of our home collection.

ghealy4

Postby ghealy4 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Happy with the service. understand about the negotiations. Looking forward to additional channels.

GAHomeRunner

Postby GAHomeRunner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 am

I LOVE HDHomerun! I am an evangelist for this product!
I have one of the earlier tuners that could be connected to cable that's now obsolete due to channel frequency modulation cable companies now deploy. You guys have come a long way since that device.
I've had my Connect Quatro for a year and have been “playing with it” for a year trying to find a way to meet family needs and be more fiscally responsible. But I'm the techie by trade.
Others in my household were hesitant on their ability to navigate HDHR for OTA channels. Then use other apps including DirectTV Now and YouTube TV for their "cable" broadcast “fix”. Sugar and TV are the “crack” of our culture!

I wish, HDHR would have marketed better what was coming. As an HDHR Connect Quattro owner, advice of the upcoming product rollout of Premium options would have made me be the first in line. I would have JUMPED on it then instead of stumbling on it during another one of my test rounds months later.
HDHR product and marketing needs some help to get this out of a being tech device to a friendly mainstream take down of Crumcast, Chartless, and other monopolies the are overcharging people for what many can get from the airwaves. Putting both OTA and premium stations in one interface is phenomenal and needs to be shouted from the rooftops. (Hmm, but those big monopolies might lobby congress to take you down.)

I've been in the advertising business. Need anyone with advertising and technical skills who helps others navigate the user interface that can sale? I'm your man!!! (Really, I'm asking!) And there are legal battles with copyright issues with relaying signals. I work with lawyers by day.

WAY TO GO
We've been watching the premium channels. The ability to get OTA plus the current lineup (HGTV, Disney, BET, Hallmark, Lifetime, ESPN) drew us in. (My hunch is the lineup is just the beginning and there are plans for more broadcast offerings down the road.) But you want to get things "right" now. In that vein, the USER INTERFACE should be the primary focus. Visuals are great. Most people without realizing it are visual people. Posters for shows and movies are great for that. But the lack of text based, channel based, recording based guides is sorely lacking.

If you need any beta testing, please let me be the first in line. I've talked to a lot of people in the past year about HDHR. (I had one of the previous devices allowing direct tuning to a single device

- OTA & Premium Channels in ONE interface. (Gives even the novice, techno scared folks a glimmer of hope to unshackle from broadcast monopolizers.)
- Limitless DVR ability with BYOT. (Great for tech centric folks. Not easily accessible for non-tech savvy folks.)
- Audio and video quality as of November is beyond acceptable for basic viewing. (Theater surround sound and projection quality testing forthcoming.)
- Yes, I really did this. I setup a side by side “taste test” between HDHR and Comcast so members of my household across the ages and skill levels could see for themselves. Thy could not distinguish which was which. Other members included my spouse, a young adult child, and a 76-year-old resident.

Salvation: this solution is the salvation from monopolies that have brainwashed the public that we need them for news, sports, one eyed babysitter, and general home entertainment at ever increasing and overpriced rates.

NEEDS SOME WORK
Marketing. As an owner of an older product, and owner of the Connect Quatro for over a year, how is it I did not receive news of the premium channel offering? We’ve got to get this product marketed and over the hump of a technical marvel to one that can be easily installed and used by less technical proficient people.

The interface within HDHR. Accessing information needs to be more intuitive and natural across platforms, devices, etc. no matter the method.
But the GUI needs to be understood to end-users across the vast group like our household (50 something tech husband and his wife, 18-year-old son, 9-year-old daughter, 76-year-old nanny, 80 something grandparents.) Reach that group, and you have it!

Channel changing is not fluid across devices and platforms. It may be device, or OS version related.

A text/grid-based guide with the options to sort by…
-channel (alpha/numerical/call sign, network, etc.)
The current live view with no ability to sort can be overwhelming for nearly 100 stations. I like the visual poster cover look however.

The Recorded screen is overwhelming.
The initial recorded guide can be overwhelming.
If showing Shows vs Movies, why the need for All Shows. That’s duplicative.
My end users like the separated shows and movies.

WISH LIST
Currently sorting of recorded items is viewed alphabetically. Could there be an option for MOST RECENT? Perhaps that could replace All Recordings and show items from the past week.

I like the ability to click on the shows then see items in list view underneath. I’m going back in time and DVRing Bewitched for example. Seeing the list of episodes and synopsis of those is great.
But when recording a newer show that has current season and is syndicated like Modern Family, could there be a way to set recording current season, and select syndicated airings from a particular station?

Duplicate airings. Would there be a way to check what is already recorded so that the same episode does not get recorded a second time? Or perhaps be able to record first airings in current season without repeats?

I love that the most recent season and episode sorts first in descending order on the show’s recorded screen.

DVR for the non-techies. Either a simple plug and play or cloud based offering would be great.

TUNER USE: With all the flexibility of recordings, could there be a setting to maintain a number of tuners for live viewing? We hit the no tuner available the other day for live viewing due to my ravenous recording schedule. I plan to add at least one more Quattro tuner.

Are there any plans to be able to access the device and recordings outside of your home network? Or perhaps to “take the recordings” with you as an easy download to your mobile device or computer?

Sign off…for now
Thanks for a great product. Please don’t forget you have someone to beta test or even a new work colleague!
I do not know about PLEX , but MYTHTV allows you to reserve tuners just for livetv
Since my initial posted which was quoted, I don't have the lack of tuners. I have 3 Connect Quatros or a total of 12 tuners. I had experienced audio and video out of synch a lot more but added a USB3 card to my Mac tower computer. It still happens some and I'm suspect that I'm asking the 8 TB hard drive to do too much given the multiple live TV and DVR tasks it may be doing at any one time.

Happily, based on my comments above, I saw that SD at CES 2019 announced DVR hardware. The Scribe Duo tuner/hard drive combo as a plug and play tuner/DVR drive option for those without skills or hardware to do so. There's even a forthcoming SERVIO (tunerless option) adds 2 terabytes of DVR storage for anyone with HDHomeRun setups with plug and play ease.

SADLY, we as SD registered users, don't see that announcement on their website. We did not get a marketing newsletter about upcoming products. It came out of another website covering technology.

SD has great products and features. SD needs to improve marketing and communications. The revenue from more units sold can overcome battles for the Premium Channels that have been taken away, to more channels, products and feature development.

We are rooting for you!
All the best in 2019.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 am

SADLY, we as SD registered users, don't see that announcement on their website. We did not get a marketing newsletter about upcoming products. It came out of another website covering technology.
They posted a press release.
https://www.silicondust.com/about/news/

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”