What things do you like about Premium TV?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
tpm

Re: What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby tpm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I have both OTA and PT in my Plex Guide now. I've had it in my Emby Guide since August.
How did you do this in Plex?
Wondering the same. Official support from Plex? Or roll-your-own guide solution?
Plex has supposedly added lineups for Premium TV. But I haven't checked. Instead, I just used the Comcast listings for my area, and did some manual matching for a few channels. It works for both antenna and SD listings now, with like one channel missing.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:07 pm

IDK.. I just kept trying until one day one Quatro took and the next day my second Quatro took. The Plex DVR is a mystery to me as it is to everyone else.. The bottom of my Guide says "Powered by Schedules Direct". What's your's say?

tpm

Postby tpm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:18 pm

IDK.. I just kept trying until one day one Quatro took and the next day my second Quatro took. The Plex DVR is a mystery to me as it is to everyone else.. The bottom of my Guide says "Powered by Schedules Direct". What's your's say?
Powered by Gracenote. Looks like I'm getting Plex's listings. They're basically Comcast's listings re-mapped for Premium TV.

kerbo

Postby kerbo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Premium TV is the MISSING link to cutting cable. That's why I bought an HDHomeRun box. Sadly I haven't cut the cord yet because of the picture quality. You figure that out and I'm all in.

For channels, it has everything my wife watches so I can check that off. For sports, I would like the Golf channel and the Fox sports channels. You might consider offering an "everywhere" login for the people that want that one sports channel not worth adding to the bundle.

BTW, I've tried all the streaming providers and all have the problem with DVR control. I can't pause for an extended period of time and I have to deal with the commercials. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably just go with one of the providers.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 am

I can confirm, Plex has added the guide data for Premium TV. However, it won't allow you to combine guides. So this current setup will not work for me.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 am

Powered by Gracenote. Looks like I'm getting Plex's listings. They're basically Comcast's listings re-mapped for Premium TV.
So maybe my xmltv guide did load but with Plex there's no way to even verify it. I still prefer Emby.

tpm

Postby tpm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:49 am

So maybe my xmltv guide did load but with Plex there's no way to even verify it. I still prefer Emby.
Emby is on my list to test out, I haven't tried it in at least 2 years. I have questions, but I don't want to send this thread off course!

But yeah, for me, I just used Comcast as the listing, and did some manual remaps. It really wasn't bad. Two subchannels weren't available, which isn't perfect, but I accepted that.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 am

Emby is on my list to test out, I haven't tried it in at least 2 years. I have questions, but I don't want to send this thread off course!

But yeah, for me, I just used Comcast as the listing, and did some manual remaps. It really wasn't bad. Two subchannels weren't available, which isn't perfect, but I accepted that.
Are you on the West coast (pacific)? Because on the East coast, about half the channels don't line up with the guide listings when I use a third party guide like Charter, Comcast, Dish, etc.

tpm

Postby tpm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

Are you on the West coast (pacific)? Because on the East coast, about half the channels don't line up with the guide listings when I use a third party guide like Charter, Comcast, Dish, etc.
West Coast, so yep that's probably a factor.

TheDetective

Postby TheDetective » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:49 am

The main thing I like about it is the DVR. Being able to record things straight to a hard drive and then keep the recordings is great. None of the other providers currently allow you to do this. I also like the fact that it has the Weather Channel, though this wasn't a deciding factor, just an added bonus. My favorite channel is Turner Classic Movies. If it ever loses TCM I will probably not keep the service.

rljnc

Postby rljnc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am

1. Easy for my wife to use (wife factor)
2. Wife Factor!
3. Wife Factor!
4. Good channel selection.
5. Price
6. Did I mention the WIFE FACTOR!!!!! :D

acoulson2000

Postby acoulson2000 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm

My 2 cents, based on Android and Fire TV apps:
It's great that the premium channels are integrated into the UI with local broadcast channels - all appearing in the same selection/guide, but the lack of grid-based guide is TERRIBLE! The way you can scroll-right to see future programs is extremely un- friendly, since you really only see one channel at a time, and the width of the selected riw varies, requiring the user to active pause to interpret what they see in up/down change ..just horrible.

In a relationship we note- the scheduling for DVR REALLY needs to have the ability to schedule record for only first-aired programs.

This is an OK first iteration but is way behind with respect to almost every other app.

GAHomeRunner

Postby GAHomeRunner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 am

I LOVE HDHomerun! I am an evangelist for this product!
I have one of the earlier tuners that could be connected to cable that's now obsolete due to channel frequency modulation cable companies now deploy. You guys have come a long way since that device.
I've had my Connect Quatro for a year and have been “playing with it” for a year trying to find a way to meet family needs and be more fiscally responsible. But I'm the techie by trade.
Others in my household were hesitant on their ability to navigate HDHR for OTA channels. Then use other apps including DirectTV Now and YouTube TV for their "cable" broadcast “fix”. Sugar and TV are the “crack” of our culture!

I wish, HDHR would have marketed better what was coming. As an HDHR Connect Quattro owner, advice of the upcoming product rollout of Premium options would have made me be the first in line. I would have JUMPED on it then instead of stumbling on it during another one of my test rounds months later.
HDHR product and marketing needs some help to get this out of a being tech device to a friendly mainstream take down of Crumcast, Chartless, and other monopolies the are overcharging people for what many can get from the airwaves. Putting both OTA and premium stations in one interface is phenomenal and needs to be shouted from the rooftops. (Hmm, but those big monopolies might lobby congress to take you down.)

I've been in the advertising business. Need anyone with advertising and technical skills who helps others navigate the user interface that can sale? I'm your man!!! (Really, I'm asking!) And there are legal battles with copyright issues with relaying signals. I work with lawyers by day.

WAY TO GO
We've been watching the premium channels. The ability to get OTA plus the current lineup (HGTV, Disney, BET, Hallmark, Lifetime, ESPN) drew us in. (My hunch is the lineup is just the beginning and there are plans for more broadcast offerings down the road.) But you want to get things "right" now. In that vein, the USER INTERFACE should be the primary focus. Visuals are great. Most people without realizing it are visual people. Posters for shows and movies are great for that. But the lack of text based, channel based, recording based guides is sorely lacking.

If you need any beta testing, please let me be the first in line. I've talked to a lot of people in the past year about HDHR. (I had one of the previous devices allowing direct tuning to a single device

- OTA & Premium Channels in ONE interface. (Gives even the novice, techno scared folks a glimmer of hope to unshackle from broadcast monopolizers.)
- Limitless DVR ability with BYOT. (Great for tech centric folks. Not easily accessible for non-tech savvy folks.)
- Audio and video quality as of November is beyond acceptable for basic viewing. (Theater surround sound and projection quality testing forthcoming.)
- Yes, I really did this. I setup a side by side “taste test” between HDHR and Comcast so members of my household across the ages and skill levels could see for themselves. Thy could not distinguish which was which. Other members included my spouse, a young adult child, and a 76-year-old resident.

Salvation: this solution is the salvation from monopolies that have brainwashed the public that we need them for news, sports, one eyed babysitter, and general home entertainment at ever increasing and overpriced rates.

NEEDS SOME WORK
Marketing. As an owner of an older product, and owner of the Connect Quatro for over a year, how is it I did not receive news of the premium channel offering? We’ve got to get this product marketed and over the hump of a technical marvel to one that can be easily installed and used by less technical proficient people.

The interface within HDHR. Accessing information needs to be more intuitive and natural across platforms, devices, etc. no matter the method.
But the GUI needs to be understood to end-users across the vast group like our household (50 something tech husband and his wife, 18-year-old son, 9-year-old daughter, 76-year-old nanny, 80 something grandparents.) Reach that group, and you have it!

Channel changing is not fluid across devices and platforms. It may be device, or OS version related.

A text/grid-based guide with the options to sort by…
-channel (alpha/numerical/call sign, network, etc.)
The current live view with no ability to sort can be overwhelming for nearly 100 stations. I like the visual poster cover look however.

The Recorded screen is overwhelming.
The initial recorded guide can be overwhelming.
If showing Shows vs Movies, why the need for All Shows. That’s duplicative.
My end users like the separated shows and movies.

WISH LIST
Currently sorting of recorded items is viewed alphabetically. Could there be an option for MOST RECENT? Perhaps that could replace All Recordings and show items from the past week.

I like the ability to click on the shows then see items in list view underneath. I’m going back in time and DVRing Bewitched for example. Seeing the list of episodes and synopsis of those is great.
But when recording a newer show that has current season and is syndicated like Modern Family, could there be a way to set recording current season, and select syndicated airings from a particular station?

Duplicate airings. Would there be a way to check what is already recorded so that the same episode does not get recorded a second time? Or perhaps be able to record first airings in current season without repeats?

I love that the most recent season and episode sorts first in descending order on the show’s recorded screen.

DVR for the non-techies. Either a simple plug and play or cloud based offering would be great.

TUNER USE: With all the flexibility of recordings, could there be a setting to maintain a number of tuners for live viewing? We hit the no tuner available the other day for live viewing due to my ravenous recording schedule. I plan to add at least one more Quattro tuner.

Are there any plans to be able to access the device and recordings outside of your home network? Or perhaps to “take the recordings” with you as an easy download to your mobile device or computer?

Sign off…for now
Thanks for a great product. Please don’t forget you have someone to beta test or even a new work colleague!

tynavarre

Postby tynavarre » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 am

I have only had the service for one day but I can tell you what got me to sign up without hesitation: The ability to watch cable TV channels in PLEX. I really enjoyed the HD HomeRun integration for OTA channels but lamented the idea of having to get a cable card and another device (I already own an Extend) to get cable channels. Having the ability to stream channels directly through the device I already own was awesome.

Getting the Extend set up was not the simplest of things compared to the setup for a lot of other streaming services but I managed to get through it in an hour.

I am very anxious to being able to DVR shows that we watch through PLEX! The only thing that I would really like to see at this point are more channels.

dougmccurry

Postby dougmccurry » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 pm

1) I'm in control of my recordings locally and I can skip commercials.
2) Discovery Channel
3) Weather Channel
4) Price Point

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”