What things do you like about Premium TV?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
pixelstuff

Re: What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby pixelstuff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:42 pm

However I prefer Plex, so unless they can get the guide (or the East coast feeds) worked out we probably won't continue after December since only half the channels are usable in Plex as is. (no Discovery, Disney, TLC, Syfy, USA, Freeform, Animal Planet, etc).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the guides for PTV are now in Plex. However, there is no way to combine them with OTA.
If you have 2 Hdhomeruns One OTA One Premium, will that work? I couldn't do that when i tried before
No it doesn't work. Only one guide source can be used in Plex, at the moment, no matter how many tuners. Each tuner can have separate channels turned on/off though, but the overall guide has to have the data for both.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:45 pm

However I prefer Plex, so unless they can get the guide (or the East coast feeds) worked out we probably won't continue after December since only half the channels are usable in Plex as is. (no Discovery, Disney, TLC, Syfy, USA, Freeform, Animal Planet, etc).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the guides for PTV are now in Plex. However, there is no way to combine them with OTA.
If you have 2 Hdhomeruns One OTA One Premium, will that work? I couldn't do that when i tried before
Sadly no. Plex only supports one EPG for some reason. So, if you setup one of the HDHRs first and select your OTA or PTV guide, you're stuck with it for the other one as well. Pretty lame. I imagine they have to be working on getting that fixed.

SWKerr

Postby SWKerr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:34 pm

I had fully transitioned to YouTube TV but dusted off the Home server and HDHRs to test this server. I have been using it since since it came out but only in a limited fashion.

My home server is an unRAID setup with Emby and Plex running side by side. I don't use the HDHR app mainly because it requires windows but I also prefer the interface and extra features of Plex and Emby. I have run the HDHR app on my Gaming PC and it works but not ideal for my situation.

Recommendations:

1. Sport: I would like to see the sports and other networks broken out into separate packages. The service is currently lacking FS1&2 plus NBCSN. CBS Sports would also be a good addition. I really don't watch a ton of sports but the way that all the licensing works you need them all or you are going to miss something you want. I think the added cost would turn off a lot of users so having it as a separate package would be the only way I could see it working. I am guessing Disney would not allow their properties to be included without ESPN but if we ever get a functional market for content then an true sports only package would be the way to go.

2. Container: I have a Extend and would love to have a mp4 or mkv option. Even a convert after record would be great especially for the normal HDHRs. I like the non-drm files but the default containers are not great for playback on a large number of devices.

3. I am using Emby right now but helping Plex with a guide that included both the feeds and the local OTA stations would be great. As it stands now Plex is essentially useless. Also: I might consider the HDHR app if there were a Linux container I could use with unRAID.

4. Default to the Recordings Library or a listings page. It is annoying to have live TV start playing when I bring up the App. Silence until I want to start watching something would be great.

5. Metadata and file structure: Better integration with Plex and Emby or find a file structure and metadata that would import into other programs. Having control over the naming structure would be perfect. Most things import ok but if I use the HDHR app local news and some shows always have some issues outside of the HDHR app. One of the reasons I like the solution is the portability but bad naming breaks some of the functionality. Perhaps a properties file or a XML file for each recording would help. (Wish there was a true standard)

6. BBC America, Velocity would be nice adds for me but not all that important on the deal killing scale. I learned to live without Comedy Central when I moved to YouTube TV. I have Hulu, Amazon and Netflix so really if it was not for sports I would probably not need anything but an antenna and still have more good programming available than I could watch.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Just a reminder, folks, this is a thread where I'm trying to find the things you like. If you want to include a combo of things you like and things you'd like to improve, that's fine. But just a list of complaints or things you'd like improved should go in other threads.

edit:
I don't use the HDHR app mainly because it requires windows
Also, this is just plain incorrect. Who told you this?

SWKerr

Postby SWKerr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:50 pm

No it doesn't work. Only one guide source can be used in Plex, at the moment, no matter how many tuners. Each tuner can have separate channels turned on/off though, but the overall guide has to have the data for both.
Same issue. Seems crazy stupid but you get to pick one guide so you either can have your locals or the extended channels but not both.

Emby with Schedules direct appears to work for me without issue. The traditional guide in Emby is my preferred way to record but overall I like the Plex clients better and they seem more stable with better playback. So as usual nothing is perfect.

KFStein

Postby KFStein » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Just FYI SageTV lets you assign a lineup per tuner, (I use Schedules Direct). So for example on a Quad you could have two tuners PTV (via OpenDCT) and two OTA (native SageTV).

To tie this into the OP, I like PTV because for me it was really easy integration with SageTV :).

coxylox

Postby coxylox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 pm

What are the things that you like about the service?

It's just easy. If you're already invested in "cutting-the-cord" and you also have an HDHomeRun hardware product, the decision is a no-brainer. The price is right, the lineup is right and all you have to do is activate the subscription to start receiving all those cable channels you were missing.

What was the "final straw" that convinced you Premium TV was the way to go?

It wasn't so much a "final straw" as much as "filling the gap" for cord-cutters like myself. I decided to move away from the major cable providers a few years ago. I was confident that a better solution would come along, something that put ME in more control of my content. At the end of the day, Premium TV augments my current free OTA local stations with a reasonable monthly subscription and the additional cable channels that I care about.

Is there anything surprising about the service that you didn't realize you'd like before getting started?

Not really but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The service is doing exactly what I expected it to do, with no unexpected consequences.

Are there any specific Premium TV shows you can't live without?

Not really, though it will be interesting to see what you guys do in terms of partnerships with "premium" cable channels like HBO, Showtime or even Netflix. As it stands, I pay for those services separately but I could see a great advantage by having those channels streamed through my HDHomeRun Extend just like any other channel. I want to be perfectly clear with this point...I'm not necessarily interested in paying SiliconDust extra $$ for those channels, I simply see a benefit (especially in terms of DVR functionality) in having those content providers included in the channel lineup. Ideally there would be a way for me to "activate" those channels with my existing (paid) account. If it came down to choosing to pay for HBO via SiliconDust vs. HBONow, I would stick with HBONow.

Questions that weren't asked:

1) What would you like to see improved?
A) Quality has been brought up multiple times. I hope you guys can dial this in. It's just not quite there yet. Right now, it's "good enough" and on it's way to "good". I would prefer "awesome!"

2) What do "cord-cutters" want next?
A) DVR was an obvious next step and I'm glad you guys jumped in. Stepping back for a moment, us "early adopters" can sometimes overestimate the average person's' willingness to take the leap. I think SiliconDust is in the perfect position to offer a product (hardware + software) to take cord-cutting to the masses. If I was starting this journey today, I would be looking for a hardware + software solution that was plug-n-play for a complete cord-cutter experience. In my opinion, that looks something like a ~$250 appliance that includes NAS+Tuners+DVR. Now that's something I could sell to my 65 year old mom...and if mom buys it, there's nobody else that would say no ;)

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:39 am

Questions that weren't asked:

1) What would you like to see improved?

2) What do "cord-cutters" want next?
We should open a new thread for the questions what weren't asked, because I have some similar ideas I could expound upon. Do you wan to initiate that coxylox?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 am

In my opinion, that looks something like a ~$250 appliance that includes NAS+Tuners+DVR. Now that's something I could sell to my 65 year old mom...and if mom buys it, there's nobody else that would say no ;)
We've never offered a box with an HDMI port. Is that what you're looking for? Or do you more mean something like the Duo+ that we're working on, that provides a tuner plus a drive? Or maybe something like an official HDHomeRun NAS?

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Or maybe something like an official HDHomeRun NAS?
@nate

If SD could deliver an STB w/ hdmi, 2-4 tuners, 2 TB hdd, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.1 ports for drive expansion and 1 year of DVR service for a decent price... I think you would have a winner on your hands.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I have both OTA and PT in my Plex Guide now. I've had it in my Emby Guide since August.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 pm

What I like?

COMPLETE control over my DVR and the ability to playback anyplace on the planet with a decent internet connection via my Emby Server.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

I have both OTA and PT in my Plex Guide now. I've had it in my Emby Guide since August.
How did you do this in Plex?

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm

The final straw?

Finding out that I can get FoxSports via the FoxSportsGo app and my spectrum choice streaming credentials and soon I'll be streaming that without spectrum choice.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:11 pm

How did you do this in Plex?
Wondering the same. Official support from Plex? Or roll-your-own guide solution?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”