What things do you like about Premium TV?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby ebo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:08 pm

I subscribed yesterday to beta test my DVR software's upgrade to support PTV. So far, so good. I particularly like being able to view and record cable channels as though they were OTA: no encryption or DRM to deal with. I may drop it after the testing is done but if I do it won't be due to technical issues or usability but because of the rarity of programs worth watching. Most entertainment channels rerun episodes of the same series all evening, sometimes ending with a new one. Of course, that's where a smart DVR comes in handy.

I also like getting cable channels without having to pay for locals that I get just fine with an antenna.

I agree with others that I'd like to see BBCA and Science Channel added. Smithsonian has a few shows that look interesting. There are some that I think are free to carry and might be interesting, like NASA and Classic Arts Showcase. I don't watch sports and hate paying ESPN's exorbitant fee but I know it's unavoidable short of cancellation. Years ago I read that it was between $5 and $6 per subscriber; it's probably much more now.

I just checked BBCA's schedule on TitanTV. They're running X-Files all day. Good series, but that's not what I want from BBCA.

Of course I'd like 1080p and 5.1 audio where available but 720p and 2.0 will do for now. I look forward to experimenting with HEVC and eventually will upgrade my playback hardware to handle it. With luck, maybe VideoReDo will add support for it.

tpm

Postby tpm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:54 pm

While I've found PTV to be a bit of a mixed bag so far, I have immense appreciation that you're creating a cable-tv equivalent product that does not force lock-in. Every other service requires you to use their own site/app, and their own cloud recordings. And they maintain control with an iron fist. PTV offers the ability to use it as a cablecard replacement, recording with any service you'd like, and keeping/editing the recordings as you wish. I had been waiting for this option for a long time, and it's as close to a "killer feature" as I've seen in the burgeoning streaming-cable industry. It's the biggest reason I continue to subscribe monthly, even while I don't yet consider it "ready for prime time". Keep up the good work making improvements. :)

jasonmcroy
Device ID: 1061D18E, 1070B743, 1076A10B

Postby jasonmcroy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:58 pm

First my story:
I left my cable company (Brighthouse) after Spectrum bought them out and began putting the DRM flags on every channel but the locals. I never liked WMC and didn't want to fight with it after they stopped supporting it. Plus, I did some math and figured out that out of the 200+ channels we had available to us, outside of the local networks we only watched shows on about 5 of the "cable only" channels. So, I checked out the various streaming services that were popping up.

My issue with the streaming services being offered was the lack of control over the DVR aspect. You couldn't skip forward on some of the content after it was DVR'ed. Plus, I had no control of my content and had to watch it through the services own app.

So, I gave up on that too and figured out that getting my Locals via antenna and purchasing a "season pass" for the few shows we watched on cable only was the way to go. No commercials, no worries about skipping, etc. However, I didn't like having those shows existing outside of my preferred apps to watch them via. I enjoyed being able to watch my local network shows via Emby or Kodi or MrMC and being able to skip through the commercials, manipulate the file with MCEBuddy or whatever. It made watching our shows easy and pleasant.

I signed up for the Premium Channels the same day they were available. The idea of being able to record my shows that were "cable only" and watch them via my preferred platform, skip commercials properly and at my discretion was a great pull for me. I haven't been happier to use a service. Now, I can have complete control of my content and not have to jump outside my app for this show, come back to another app for the other show, etc. It is much easier to use now.

So, this is the path I have gone down to get where I am now. I am finally happy with my setup. There are no shows we are missing as every channel we need are available. I have found myself recording some shows I wouldn't have bothered with before, like Treehouse Masters and Tiny Living and a few other nature shows on Animal Planet and some history shows on the History Channel.

So, I am one happy customer and feel this new addition is perfect!

*Feel free to re-post any of this content*

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 am

We cut the cord a few years ago (I finally got fed up with DirecTV). After that, we bounced around from streaming service to streaming services trying to find the best value. We eventually go rid of those, picked up an HDHomeRun and decided that most of what we wanted to watch was available on our locals. Using Plex, it was a pretty seamless integration to get DVR working and have one place for all of our content.

When PTV was announce, I couldn't be more excited. It had the extra channels that we had kind of missed, and it gives us a true DVR experience instead of the "cloud DVR" option the streaming services offer.

The price is perfect and we're really enjoying it. Of course, there are a few channels we would like to have, but even if nothing changed, we'd still happily subscribe.

Having access to all of the ESPN channels is awesome for me. The GF loves having the food network. I always had a strange addiction to Unsolved Mysteries, so having Lifetime is pretty awesome as well. Also, I've been enjoying the movies on TCM.

I can't wait to see some of the improvements made down the road, but it's been working flawlessly for us (except for that little Plex snafu).

patnick44

Postby patnick44 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 am

Would like to have FS1 and NBCSN for Nascar but it's no deal breaker.
What I do like is price vs channels. The picture quality is getting better and better.
Happy so far.

raygu303

Postby raygu303 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:42 pm

The main thing for me was the price! Before PTV, I was a ***** subscriber. I had the $40 package with the cloud DVR and a couple of extras. My main thing was that they (SlingTV) had a lot of junk channels! The price of PTV and the combination of channels was a no brainer! I cancelled my ***** subscription and by chance the quarto was on sale at Best Buy for $120! I really like the fact that SD supports a lot of 3rd party software and devices! I just wish you guys had an app for RokuTV instead of having to deal with the ugly interface that they have with their media browser! I use Kodi in the living room with my Xbox one X, Android TV in the bedroom, and my TCL RokuTV in my game room. My wife loves the line up, too! Which was the deciding factor to jump in around the 1st week you guys started offering premium channels! She can watch Lifetime or TLC, while I can watch ESPN or [Adult Swim] in another room! I've had DTV, Dish, and *****. I love the fact that i"m in control of my devices and recordings. Whenever I have had a problem, you guys have always been fast and responsive to my problems! Excellent customer service! My only wish would be for BBCA, and FXX (for the Simpsons and Always Sunny!) and maybe Disney Jr. and or Nick Jr. for the kiddos. I'm hoping for great things in the future form SD and hope that the stage 2 stuff happens soon!

ghealy4

Postby ghealy4 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:15 am

I was already using the HDHomerun tuners for local over the air TV and was using ***** for my premium channels. I had to switch apps on my AppleTVs to watch premium channels and recordings were performed in the cloud. I like being able to use the same App for both now. I am using a third party program, Channels DVR, to record to my local hard drives. The local recording and control of the recordings is my favorite option made possible by the premium channels. I am very happy with the direction you are going with the premium channels. Keep up the good work.

mxlance

Postby mxlance » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:45 am

My story is similar to most here. In the past few years I left Dish, tried OTA only, then Time-Warner for internet and cable, Then Spectrum and their Roku app, back to OTA, ditched Spectrum TV, Tried YouTubeTV (the best thing to that point),, Last month I switched internet again to AT&T Fiber signed up for PremiumTV and the DVR service (Which I use with the “Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers”)

I can not remember ever being this pleased with TV service! My wife is so happy with it!!!
Quality and setup was a little bumpy in the beginning as was expected. The quality has improved steadily. The integration with Kodi is a dream come true.

One thing that I reraly appreciate is this Forum and the interaction with Silicon Dust.
The other day a channel was cutting out, I came here and sure enough there was a notice that the team was aware and on it. I felt included and respected. I did not need to wonder if it was on my end? No need to waste time troubleshooting something that I could not fix. I told my wife “they know and the are on it” her response was “wow that is nice to know, Okay lets just watch something else for now.” This is really a big deal, this is service that I will stay for. Thank you.

I also appreciate being included in the process of new services and channel offerings. Again what a contrast to the rest of the industry. The fact that someone is listening and appears to give a s*** what I think and want is a wonderful change. Thank you.

Now give me NBCSN an BBC America for no additional cost. : ) Never hurts to ask for more, right?

thanks

pantherman007

Postby pantherman007 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:46 pm

I was using ***** + HDHR before, then switched to PTV + HDHR, so my costs stayed about the same. What I really like is having an essentially unlimited DVR capacity thanks the the DVR service running on a NAS. Very easy to setup a recording task and build up archive of new and older shows.

What’s needed to make this perfect:
1) 5.1 audio
2) BBC America
3) Better UI and features to control recording rules and preferences.

elmerF

Postby elmerF » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Have several HDhomerun devices including a newly purchased Quatro, and I have been monitoring these forums closely for progress and user reviews. I was a DVR kickstarter, and I really don’t want to do be a paying beta tester again. It does, however, look like Premium TV is making progress and your thread, on the streaming structure, is very interesting and shows considerable effort and promise. I may kick YTTV aside after football season and when I see Plex integration. I say Plex integration, because a Plex server is the center of my home system. Plex is also essential for the grid UI which is sadly missing on the HDhomerun apps that are almost unusable on some platforms, like Android TV. Kodi appears to be an option, but Plex is highly preferred. I also say, "after football season," because you have no FS1/2 or BTN. My SO would very much like Hallmark. I understand FS1/2 are difficult and I’d be willing to pay for a sports addon with FS1/2, BTN, SEC, CBSsports, and NBCsports. Also, can’t wait the see H.265 streams.

tom42

Postby tom42 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Plex integration was the only reason I joined, wanted to be able to record cable shows. I might get to do that if the video quality ever improves enough

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 am

Plex integration was the only reason I joined, wanted to be able to record cable shows. I might get to do that if the video quality ever improves enough
So you like.... the plex integration, maybe? I'm trying to follow how this fits into the plot of this thread.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 pm

So you like.... the plex integration, maybe? I'm trying to follow how this fits into the plot of this thread.
The best plus is the base channel lineup. Most of the other streaming services don't include Hallmark, HGTV, or Weather Channel at either the base price or at all. Those are critical for the female side of the family. Of course it would be better if Hallmark Movies and Mystery was in there also.

We are subscribing mainly for the Hallmark Christmas Movies. However I prefer Plex, so unless they can get the guide (or the East coast feeds) worked out we probably won't continue after December since only half the channels are usable in Plex as is. (no Discovery, Disney, TLC, Syfy, USA, Freeform, Animal Planet, etc).

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:27 pm

However I prefer Plex, so unless they can get the guide (or the East coast feeds) worked out we probably won't continue after December since only half the channels are usable in Plex as is. (no Discovery, Disney, TLC, Syfy, USA, Freeform, Animal Planet, etc).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the guides for PTV are now in Plex. However, there is no way to combine them with OTA.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:39 pm

However I prefer Plex, so unless they can get the guide (or the East coast feeds) worked out we probably won't continue after December since only half the channels are usable in Plex as is. (no Discovery, Disney, TLC, Syfy, USA, Freeform, Animal Planet, etc).
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the guides for PTV are now in Plex. However, there is no way to combine them with OTA.
If you have 2 Hdhomeruns One OTA One Premium, will that work? I couldn't do that when i tried before

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”