What things do you like about Premium TV?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby nateb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 pm

As we all know, it's been a bit since we started offering Premium TV, and since then we've been focusing quite a bit on where we can improve: picture quality, 3rd party support, additional channels. And we've definitely made strides on at least 2 of those legs of the stool, but there's no denying there's room for more improvement as we go along.

But right now I wanted to set that conversation aside for a moment and ask all of you who are subscribing, what are the things that you like about the service? What was the "final straw" that convinced you Premium TV was the way to go? Is there anything surprising about the service that you didn't realize you'd like before getting started? Edit: Are there are specific Premium TV shows you can't live without?

(Note, I help run social media. There's a chance I may copy your responses for social posts. If you don't want me to, just say so. It's more important that we hear what things you really like than for me to get some fun social tweets.)

mchallis

Re: What things do you like about Premium TV?

Postby mchallis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Because I subscribed to HDHomeRun Premium TV, I was finally able to cancel a $170 DirecTV account. Yep, I did it, I cut the cord.
I am using an HDHomeRun Connect Quatro with an outdoor antenna for my locals. I am using Emby DVR to record all my favorite shows. There are other streaming services, but with HDHomeRun Premium TV I am able to record my favorite shows to my own Emby DVR, with other services this was not possible.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 pm

with HDHomeRun Premium TV I am able to record my favorite shows to my own Emby DVR, with other services this was not possible.
As a follow up (and let's say this question is for everyone), are there any specific shows on Premium TV you'd like to give a shout out to? I personally have found myself mildly addicted to Fixer Upper on HGTV.

mchallis

Postby mchallis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 pm

I have only had this for a week. I am recording Live PD on A&E, The Little Couple on TLC, Gold Rush on Discovery, and romance movies on Hallmark. I would like BBC America for Dr Who

boogmeister1

Postby boogmeister1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 pm

We switched to Premium TV with hopes that it would be good enough to "cut the cord". Within a few minutes we realized this was exactly what we were looking for. The channel lineup was almost identical to what our cable provider broadcast and we no longer had to pay extra for a DVR or cable cards. We canceled our cable TV service and we're now saving $90.00/month. With that savings we purchased a new NAS and two new Quatro devices.

The quality of the picture has improved quite a bit and the commitment to support has been a breath of fresh air.

Eric

K9bear
Device ID: 10561776 10584A9E 10613237 1073DD44

Postby K9bear » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 am

I haven’t had cable in 10 years, just not worth the money, premium tv is a better bargain and has dvr capability. I am a on demand dvr person that dislikes commercials, nice to at least Skip through them. I decided to try it because I’ve been very happy with the hdhomerun tuners for OTA.

I did buy several shows that where not available I can now record them.
The forum support is a very nice thing to have.
Would very much like to have BBC & National Geographic wild channels.

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:06 am

We were getting tired of paying a lot of money for very few benefits with dish. Before we went with ptv, we were thinking of doing multiple packages with other vendors. After seeing the lineup in ptv matching about 80% of our favorite channels, it was a no brainer. Even adding *****, we're paying half as much as we used to.

Hgtv, food network, hallmark and espn were the clinchers.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 am

I like having the Weather channel, No other streaming service besides the unreliable Dtv Now. Also the support, the big boys just make excuses and blame the users equipment.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 am

We just need one more channel and I will get permission to cut our final cord, Layer3TV. We need the Science Channel. I'm also hoping that the phase 2 updates improve video to at least 1080p. Layer3TV's video quality is hard to beat.

Rob

CHASUT

Postby CHASUT » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 am

1. The promise of higher quality streams - I moved from cable to antenna primarily for the huge increase in the quality of both the video and audio. Over the last several years there has been a mad dash to cram as many channels as possible into a limited pipe. DTV offered the best quality, but you had to put up with DTV. I think DTV could be the only company, meaner to its customers that AT&T; a great match from that perspective. Video quality on U-Verse was silly bad, TWC was pretty good, but it was trending down fast. DTVN is actually quite good; but it is AT&T and the user experience.... OMG, were they going for awful? Which leads me to #2...

2. High WAF - It is really important to me to provide an easy and engaging experience. My wife is a particularly tough customer. The combination of the Channels app, and locally managed DVR has resulted in highest TV WAF since the days you had to stand up to change the volume or channels. For the first time in more than a decade she can find what she wants, record and play back shows, all without yelling at me or throwing the remote. This applies to my entire family. I am the only committed techno geek. I am likely the only one in the lot that cares much about #1, but everyone loves the experience that we now enjoy.

3. Good value - Assuming you continue down prioritizing quality over quantity (stage two goals sound great to me), the current package is an excellent value in my opinion. Like many others, i am missing FS1&2, RSNs, and TVAnywhere logins for the package to satisfy all my needs. I currently supplement with other offerings to get the FS and ESPN logins. Even if you don't add them, you will still get my sub due to 1&2; at least until something better comes along with respect to #1&2. And just to be clear, it is NOT a good value with the current quality levels in my opinion. There are many other options to get low quality streams - although without #2. You have my continued support (and $) as long as your vision is to provide a "Premium" TV experience - premium in all aspects. In fact, you are within a stones throw of being able to offer what i would consider TV Nirvana. Go there, and you will have earned my respect and loyalty forever.

Thank you for offering this service. Keep up the great work.

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 am

High WAF - It is really important to me to provide an easy and engaging experience. My wife is a particularly tough customer. The combination of the Channels app, and locally managed DVR has resulted in highest TV WAF since the days you had to stand up to change the volume or channels. For the first time in more than a decade she can find what she wants, record and play back shows, all without yelling at me or throwing the remote. This applies to my entire family. I am the only committed techno geek. I am likely the only one in the lot that cares much about #1, but everyone loves the experience that we now enjoy.
Channels dev here. We've put a ton of time into optimizing our WAF so it's really nice to hear stories like this :)

mike3

Postby mike3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am

I haven't subscribed yet. Still waiting on Canada release. However, I've demoed out the channels.

What I think is great is it's all within one app, and the ability to record your own content and store it locally.

The missing channels are Nick Jr, and FXX (Simpsons).

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am

I like having the Weather channel, No other streaming service besides the unreliable Dtv Now. Also the support, the big boys just make excuses and blame the users equipment.
Wait, is this true? None of the other big guys carries the weather channel? That seems crazy.

dsnyder86
Device ID: 107389FD, 1073B766

Postby dsnyder86 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am

1. saved money (>100$) per month v.cable

2. live tv, schedule and playback on 5 tvs and 4 mobile devices

3. replaced 2 primes (and CABLE CARDS!!!) with 2 quattros( 1 for ota, 1 for PTV)

Thank you SD.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am

Wait, is this true? None of the other big guys carries the weather channel? That seems crazy.
[/quote
Yep not on You tube tv, Playstation Vue, ***** and Hulu. It costs Dtv now $55 a month to get it. Fubu tv has it for $45, but no Espn

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”