Plex "Could not reliably play" HDHomeRun Premium TV on Roku

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
tpm

Plex "Could not reliably play" HDHomeRun Premium TV on Roku

Postby tpm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 pm

I've been running into a problem with streaming live Premium TV on Plex. I've tried this on two current-gen Roku Stick+'s, both connected via WiFi. The wireless signal (Ubiquiti) is strong enough to stream full-quality Blu-Ray files, and the Roku states that the connection is good.

Lately, whenever I try to stream a channel via live TV, like The Weather Channel, it takes a moment, then starts to play. But then it buffers once and sometimes twice. Then it plays a few more seconds, and errors out with this message:
Playback Error: We could not reliably play your live TV channel, it may be due to a weak signal
I've tried playing it normally, which forces a transcode in Plex, as well as playing it at "original" quality, which creates a Direct Stream of video and audio. It fails in both cases. When transcoding, there is sometimes also a small audio-sync issue.

I have not checked every channel, but there is some variety on the timing for the error. For example, it always happens within about 60 seconds on The Weather Channel, but it took 3-5 minutes on ESPN.

I know this may be a Plex issue, but I figured I'd start here to ask about any guidance.

rlgesch

Re: Plex "Could not reliably play" HDHomeRun Premium TV on Roku

Postby rlgesch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 am

Are you using the plex preview app on Roku? I have the same issue on preview app but I haven't experienced the issue on regular app.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

Is this only occurring on Roku? Can you stream easily on other devices?

tpm

Postby tpm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Are you using the plex preview app on Roku? I have the same issue on preview app but I haven't experienced the issue on regular app.
Good question! I was indeed, because they integrated it into the beta app, and the main app wasn't supposed to have Live TV guide access. But it does now, so I tested it. I had buffering issues, but it didn't stop playing. So that's at least a start.

nateb, re: other devices, I have a Shield I can test later tonight and get back to you. My LG TV doesn't have Live TV in Plex yet, so I'm stalled there.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I've had this happen as well. Also, it doesn't matter which version of the Roku app you use. If you use the current release, it will just crash. If you use the preview app, it will crash the stream gracefully.

This should only happen if you're direct streaming (which means you'll have your quality setting in the app set to original). If you're transcoding, this will not happen.

I encountered a similar issue with Emby, however, it handled the situation differently.

I think the issue is related to the fact that it's a live stream -- but I'm not exactly sure why. Plex, if direct streaming, will eventually crash. I think it runs out of buffer. If you pause the live stream once you start it for 5-10 seconds, everything will work normally. Emby has issues as well, however, it goes through a series of 2-3 rounds of buffering once you start the stream. It eventually plays just fine as well. If you change your quality settings in the Plex Roku client to anything lower than original, the stream will be transcoded and will work perfectly -- but who want unnecessary transcoding?

pens87pgh

Postby pens87pgh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm

I just started experiencing this issue. I've been using the live stream on my Roku for months with no issue, until recently when Plex updated. Now it quits after an hour or so. I'm thinking this is a Plex issue due to the change in behavior directly following the update.

hufferstl

Postby hufferstl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:03 am

Been seeing this issue as well ever since the "new" plex update. I get maybe 5 minutes of Live TV and then I get the "playback error we could not reliably play your live tv channel" message.

This is very disappointing, especially since I could get hours of Live TV playback prior to the Roku update.

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 am

Not sure about the roku, but I stopped updating the Android Plex app a year or so ago after I saw the playback errors. Older versions of the app worked & Newer versions of the app don't work. go figure. ;)

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

When playing HDHR content (PTV) my Roku vomits regularly when trying to tackle the minefield of glitches. TV shows are the worst because I 'quickstream fix' movies with VideoReDo as well as MKVToolNix the audio track to English in two separate processes. TV Shows are left as they are - each and every one with a cavalcade of stream crippling errors that freak my Roku - and everything else I've got - right out, but Plex's current train wreck app is particularly susceptible to the PTV shenannigans... ever present and ongoing.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”