TBS absolutely atrocious - ACraigo

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

TBS absolutely atrocious - ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 pm

FWIW, TBS seems fine right now. I'll hop on tonight and watch an extended amount. If it seems like there's constant skipping, I'll elevate ASAP.

Could you tell me what platform you are using to watch so I can most easily replicate?
While you're at it tune in FXHD - 'cause that is some of the highest quality C@$P I've ever seen in my life. Really. I'm old. I've seen a LOT of C@$P, but that wins the prize. AMC is in the running for second place in the all time C@$Pfest and The travel channel also looks like it's being bounced off the moon at times.

I'm paying for PTV, but have had to download FXHD/AMC Shows when editing the PTV versions crashes VideoReDo 'cause not enough stream got here to edit.

Ray Charles could see those glitches, so you shouldn't have any problem, but if you need more sample recordings I have about 200 of them. When you stopped responding to my other thread I cleared out my G-Drive, but there's plenty of room right now.

If you guys think you have fixed the quality issues - think again - you have not.

ACraigo

Re: TBS absolutely atrocious

Postby ACraigo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Add Bravo to the list. It is awful. Full of "glitches". Don't know how to describe it other than that. It stinks that we are all BETA testers paying full price for a product.
I actually don't mind, so long as we don't get all "Plexy" up in here and things are acknowledged/repaired in a timely fashion. 3 months is just about to go right of the 'Timely Fashion' window and that window will be nailed shut at 4 months.

I've been waiting 4 years for a suitable Plex app for FireTV - not even close. Let's not start doing that.

This just in (Edit):

TCM:
That big old curb-stomp goes on until 1:57.08 - and we call that 'Mild' around here when speaking of PTV (under our breaths).

... and again (same recording), starts at 54:54.17 and carries on to 54:55.19:

What can I say?
Last edited by ACraigo on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 pm

If you guys think you have fixed the quality issues - think again - you have not.
We do not. We think we have improved quality issues, but there's still much to do. And that really only goes for visual quality issues. I'm not sure we've ever given any indication that what we're outputting now will stand up to heavy re-encoding.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Acraigo, can you keep comments about editing issues with your software out of threads about live tv viewing?

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Acraigo, can you keep comments about editing issues with your software out of threads about live tv viewing?
Sure, no problem, but if it's on the recording, it's in the stream. The issue is Quality.
We think we have improved quality issues, but there's still much to do.
You have, and there is.
And that really only goes for visual quality issues. I'm not sure we've ever given any indication that what we're outputting now will stand up to heavy re-encoding.
An MCEBuddy remux from a .ts container to an MKV container isn't 'Heavy Re-Encoding', in fact it's 'No Re-Encoding', but you'd better plan on some actual 'Heavy Re-Encoding' down, what is now, a lot shorter road than it used to be.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: TBS absolutely atrocious - ACraigo

Postby nickk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi ACraigo,

Thanks to the recording you provided we found and fixed a problem causing MythTV to report the stream as damaged. The problem shouldn't have affected playback in any player. This change went live a few days ago.

We also made changes to the chunk tracking to ensure you won't experience repeated chunks of video like you did in the stream you provided.

This thread... the first screenshot you posted I suspect is the upstream encoder messing up. We have health monitoring in place that detects most issues and we file trouble tickets when there is an upstream problem like this. The best solution however is for us to to run our own encoders which is underway.

The second screenshot you posted shows film-source problems. You can see a blue dot towards the bottom as well as the film scratch marks. Everything from the station is digital which means these problems are in the source from the station.

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:47 pm

The second screenshot you posted shows film-source problems. You can see a blue dot towards the bottom as well as the film scratch marks. Everything from the station is digital which means these problems are in the source from the station.

Nick
Later in that very sequence of awful there were clear pixelation artifacts - the very same I see with alarming repetition on PTV channels.

You may need to set your Health Monitor to be more sensitive. These glitches are severe and plentiful.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Later in that very sequence of awful there were clear pixelation artifacts
Over compression on movement or corrupt video on part of the screen?

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Later in that very sequence of awful there were clear pixelation artifacts
Over compression on movement or corrupt video on part of the screen?

Nick
Didn't seem to be movement related... just another stream stability failure. I'm editing recordings made just a few minutes ago from TCM and they're ate up with nasty.

I'll try to be more precise... let's see... all the 'glitches' I see are magnum pixelation when the video stream partially fails, or actual missing stream info, which usually crashes VideoReDo, but MCEBuddy can wade through them. On playback those stream failures usually result in video that's sped up as it tries and fails to sync with the audio. Backing up a bit and starting the stream again usually corrects the sync, but our goal, of course, is to have you provide a pristine stream.

My player apps are Plex (yes, Plex again), but the FireTV app (for all the good that thing is) and Roku app both do the same thing. Primarily I'm using a Roku Ultra with the official Plex app (it's the best app they have). I do not use Plex DVR, I just use MCEBuddy to remux PTV to an MKV container and run the recordings into my Plex Libraries. My Plex server has plenty of horsepower (AMD-FX 8350, 16G Ram, etc) - it's my gaming rig/plex server/SD-DVR and everything else.

No, I'm not doing other things when these 'glitches' happen.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 pm

I am testing TCM now.

At one point I noticed a full-screen fault that quickly corrected itself but it wasn't due to an encoding error... the stream and encoding was error free. That points to it arriving corrupt from our upstream source.

I am working to definitively confirm so we can get it fixed upstream.

BTW - if VideoReDo is crashing you should contact the author. Even if the stream has problems it shouldn't crash the decoder.

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 am

BTW - if VideoReDo is crashing you should contact the author. Even if the stream has problems it shouldn't crash the decoder.

Nick
VideoReDo has done that since day one.

VideoReDo was really designed to work best with MPEG-2 video streams. It has never reacted well to faulty or missing sections of a video stream and REALLY reacts badly to faulty or missing sections of an H264 stream. The VRD guys have hammered at this thing in order to have it deal with H264 material, and it does, but it better be some strong/pristine stuff with every I dotted, every T crossed.

Nick, I'm not going to beat this into the ground, but the video streams out here on this end arrive in sad shape. That's all there is to it. VideoReDo shows 'gray frames' all through the videos - and that indicates there's nothing there - it's gone - it's a glitch - it never arrived. I can edit my OTA/MPEG-2 or DVD/BluRay AVC streams flawlessly. VDR flies through the edits via the mousewheel, making landing on the exact frame effortless. I put a PTV stream in this thing and it's a jerky, intermittent chore trying to get anywhere and just about the time you're ready to home in on a frame, a missing frame shows up and VDR crashes.

Every encoder I've ever run in my life can't encode missing information - and it's not a fault of the software. VideoReDo/Handbrake can and will crash in a heartbeat. MCEBuddy has a unique ability to work right through messy streams and that's exactly how I would describe PTV at this time.

I'm delighted you're looking at the streams with increasing scrutiny - and that is what is needed.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 am

It there are missing chunks then something else is going on. We are not seeing this in our testing.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" on the HDHomeRun itself - go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and click on the device, system menu.

When you next experience VideoReDo crashing on a new recording please:
1) Let me know when the recording was made and the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.
2) Upload the recording to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the share link.

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

It there are missing chunks then something else is going on. We are not seeing this in our testing.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" on the HDHomeRun itself - go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and click on the device, system menu.

When you next experience VideoReDo crashing on a new recording please:
1) Let me know when the recording was made and the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.
2) Upload the recording to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the share link.

Nick
I'm watching Hurricane stuff on Weather Channel, that looks better than it did the other day (apart from the magnum glitches) and a slight lip sync issue when it first starts, but is OK after a bit. I have stopped all recordings except those from TCM (Battle Circus-Bogart-Allison/Etc). I have activated diagnostic info and will let you know what happens and when. Today is a Weather Channel/TCM day. Yesterday was Oral Surgery Day, so Weather/TCM is about all I'm up for.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Please find your recording of Battle Circus (1953) in your G-Drive folder (PMed).

38:15
39:05
39:56

Above stream malfunctions found on a brief scrub - my capacity is limited today. None of the above crashed VRD - that's a plus.

Battle Circus (1953) Trivia:
For at least 35 years I've been trying to capture this movie. Today's offering can only serve as a placeholder - unfortunately.

Model: HDHR5-2US
Firmware: 20180817

Also, just checked in to FoxNews... Man, that's embarrassing. Skype is 100 times better, but I will stipulate to upstream malfunctions due to inclement weather.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 pm

What time was this recorded?

Also the file you uploaded is a mkv file generated by some other application. Need the actual mpg file recorded by the HDHomeRun DVR.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”