One Household, Two Houses

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Rixound

One Household, Two Houses

Postby Rixound » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:12 am

I have used SiliconDust OTA tuners including Extend, Quatro, and Prime for a while now at home and at the family cabin. I had TWC Spectrum at home with all the unnecessary DRM (even locals) to complicate things.

I heard about the Premium offering when I was catching up on the Entertainment 2.0 podcast. I checked on Lon's YouTube channel and just couldn't sign up fast enough.

Generally, I am pleased with only minor issues like time zone and already improving picture quality. The portability of the recordings and slick integration of locals is a big deal and the starting chanel lineup is great. Our house is more about Kids, News, Entertainment and not so much on the sports but it seems like a good overall balance. I like it so well that I want more.

Specifically, I was thinking of adding an additional subscription at the other house. This would bring us up to a total of 8 available streams. I can't see us needing more than 4 at the cabin but it would be nice to have up to 8 available at home for a combination of live streams and dvr through the PLEX server. For example, 2 Extends and a Quatro at home and another Quatro at the cabin. Would this just automatically work? Not a direct comparison but we can use Netflix at both places. Is a "household" tied to one IP address or DNS or ISP specific? If not enabled by default, is there a way to enable this from SD server end? I would be willing to pay for 2 subscriptions if it was flexible in this way. Maybe not so feasible to justify the second subscription if it could only be used at the cabin.

A more realistic / sustainable idea would be to offer an option to buy additional streams on one subscription as mentioned in a couple of other threads. Maybe like +$10ish per month to get to 6-8 streams.

Just say yes. It's my actual birthday.

It occurred to me that i could take the more complex route and perhaps get 2 subscriptions at home with the 100x100 fiber connection then use PLEX to send dvr and maybe live streams to the cabin.

This may not be the most common use case but your client base probably has a more geeks like me that have been tinkering with this stuff for years, dreaming up any number of use cases. Think WMC, GB-PVR, and Networked Media Tanks (certainly never any hacky pvr hooked to the cable box with firewire and component cables)... ;) With that context, This new SiliconDust Premium TV offering seems like the Holy Grail.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Re: One Household, Two Houses

Postby mcewinter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:54 am

Since Premium TV utilizes the local tuners, you are likely bound to that location. Others have inquired about about logging into specific TV networks apps, like you can do if you had a cable subscription by logging in with your credentials from your provider. Doing so, would obviously add a lot of value but meanwhile you may be SOL.

Rixound

Postby Rixound » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 am

The provider login credentials would be nice, although not something I have used a lot. I was actually referring to having hardware in two locations and two subscriptions to get the concurrent streams count up to 8.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:50 pm

You would have up to 4 in one location (assuming 4 tuners there) and 4 in your other location (again assuming 4 tuners there). To get 8 at your house you would need to move the tuner from the other location and most likely put it on another network to get all 8 (without moving to another network, it can confuse things, since you would need 2 accounts and register the tuners with each account, when the clients try to retrieve data from 2 accounts as they use the DeviceAuth of each tuner found by the broadcast discovery).

By the way it may work slightly different by also restricting by public ip and it probably would not be a good idea to advertise such publicly as it may require SD impose further restrictions to close some "loopholes"

I would say most likely officially you will be restricted to 4 at one location and 4 at another even if you were to move your tuner(s) to the same location.

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:51 am

Can we have an "official" response on this scenario? I have a house and motorhome. We travel about half the year in the motorhome total in 3-4 month each trips. I have a quattro at home currently using premium channels and have plex/emby recording content. We would like to set up use of the Premium Channels in the MH as well.

I see two scenarios:

1. All equipment at home: Quattro receiving up to four streams at a time with some content being recorded by Plex/Emby. One Premium channel account tied to that Quattro. While in the MH we use Plex/Emby to stream live tv and recordings over the internet to our devices. We have Ipads and Amazon 4k Firesticks on two TV's.

2. Quattro or Duo in the MH: We buy a second Quattro or Duo for the MH thus receiving local channels there and recording to local storage in the MH. But, since the Premium Channel is tied to the Quattro at Home there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to switch the feed to the other Quattro. If we could either switch registrations between each Quattro or, take one Quattro back and forth that might work.We aren't looking for a way to game the system by being able to stream at both locations at the same time, just a way to switch back and forth using one account if possible.

Any idea's?
Last edited by kincaidj001 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:58 am

I believe to answer this question, one needs to know if you need/want more than 4 simultaneous streams as in this case i would register all devices in question at home (in same network) but would be limited to 4 PTV streams, previously poster wanted 8.

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:04 am

No, only 4 streams at a time is good for us and I think is the max anyway.

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:11 am

To maybe answer my own question, perhaps the smartest and economical way is just to bring the Quattro with us when we travel since we have no need for streaming at both locations at the same time. Unless SD or Quattro has a problem with an IP change.

KryptoNyte

Postby KryptoNyte » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 am

SageTV works in this scenario. You would need your SageTV server at home and a compatible Android device at the second location with the SageTV miniclient on it. With the miniclient you can access all your media remotely. You would need an upload speed at home that can support the stream.

smak

Postby smak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:58 am

I am solving this problem with Channels App/DVR. I have the Channels DVR running on a computer my house. I use the Channels App on Amazon FireTV as the client at both my home and remote location. NOTE: there is a version of the client app that is free if you subscribe to the the DVR service.

There is also a basic web interface that you access live tv and recordings.

I was having some buffering issues so I moved the "Streaming" directory to an SSD and that cleaned things up.

In general I would prefer to use SageTV. I have used it for years (circa 2005) and it has a much better interface and tons of customization. I am reluctantly moving away because I am starting to have inconsistent UI/remote control issues (with the miniclient apps) as well as not getting 5.1 sound.

KryptoNyte

Postby KryptoNyte » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:47 pm

In general I would prefer to use SageTV. I have used it for years (circa 2005) and it has a much better interface and tons of customization. I am reluctantly moving away because I am starting to have inconsistent UI/remote control issues (with the miniclient apps) as well as not getting 5.1 sound.
Gotcha. I get that.

One thing I will mention - if you can set up a VPN connection between the two locations and the bandwidth at either location can handle the streams, you could use Sage extenders at the remote location. Not optimal, but just thought I'd mention the additional possibility. I will also have to say that until SD has actually implemented 5.1 channel audio - I'm hesitant to see how that all pans out. Of course your antenna channels still have 5.1 sound regardless.

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:36 am

I have not looked into Sage TV at all. We are taking a long trip in the middle of December so I am testing various scenarios now. I am very new at all this transcode, codec, interlace, DVR, Plex, Emby stuff but have spent days (weeks) experimenting with ways to optimize the bandwidth used in anticipation of remote streaming. I also have installed and tested OpenVPN on my Firesticks and my home Azus router with OpenVPN server on it.

Right now, I am trying to learn how to use MCEBuddy to transform Channels DVR raw mpeg recordings into smaller h264 without commercials which my 4K firesticks can play with no transcoding. And then also making them available to Emby as well as Channels as an alternate way to play them back. I have read that Channels DVR has a back door way to do post processing with MCEBuddy but I haven't looked into that yet.

Since we are going to be in Florida for a few months, and I just dumped DirecTV that we used in the Motorhome before, this stuff has to pass the Wife test. She must be able to watch her stories, maybe not live though. So, I have a Plan B to bring an Intel Nuc and a HDHomerun with us that will have some previously processed content on it. If streaming live tv from home doesn't fly then we have the HDHomerun that will pick up local broadcasts thus making her happy.

For those of you following this thread, I am currently using a Quattro and Premium Channels from SIlicon Dust and Channels DVR to record and stream.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:45 am

To maybe answer my own question, perhaps the smartest and economical way is just to bring the Quattro with us when we travel since we have no need for streaming at both locations at the same time. Unless SD or Quattro has a problem with an IP change.
I think this would work? Understanding exactly how the HDHomeRun tuner reports streams based on location is a bit above my paygrade, but if you always have the same device and same account reporting from the same place, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 am

Is it possible to have one Quatro at home and another in the motorhome under one account. We wouldn't need the ability or use of the home Quatro while traveling. It's just convenient to install a device semi-permanently in the motorhome.

I'm just trying to be clear about this, I have no need to have 8 streams but I don't know if the best way to do this is register both on my home network then take one to the motorhome. Or, register one which is what I have already then switch back and forth via activation code?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”