Stage 2?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Stage 2?

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Every channel is ate up with stream interruptions/glitchy video/pixelation. Recent offenders: History, Weather, Animals, etc... doesn't matter where you go, problems soon follow.

Zig

Postby Zig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 pm

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Every channel is ate up with stream interruptions/glitchy video/pixelation. Recent offenders: History, Weather, Animals, etc... doesn't matter where you go, problems soon follow.
You provided a sample recording a few weeks ago which had one bad frame in a 10 minute period.

If you are seeing bigger issues the best thing would be to send us a sample recording so we can review. We are not tracking any problems where "every channel ate up with stream interruptions/glitchy video/pixelation" and I can't tell if you are exaggerating for dramatic effect.

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:47 pm

You provided a sample recording a few weeks ago which had one bad frame in a 10 minute period.

If you are seeing bigger issues the best thing would be to send us a sample recording so we can review. We are not tracking any problems where "every channel ate up with stream interruptions/glitchy video/pixelation" and I can't tell if you are exaggerating for dramatic effect.

Nick
I don't normally record the channels I fire up now and then, but here's a recent Gold Rush:
There are plenty of these, constantly, on every channel I watch.

My G Drive is full.
Next time, perhaps.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Is that one bad frame or a screenshot from several seconds of bad video? How often do you see something like this in a 1 hour show?

What device are you using for playback?

Nick

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

That is a section of video that runs on for a second or two.
This 'glitches' happen on every channel, intermittently, at varying rates and severity. They are VERY common.

I see them on:
Live:
The HD App for Windows
The HD App for FireTV
The HD App for Android Phone
Recorded:
The HD App for FireTV
The HD App for Windows
Recorded and moved to Plex:
The Plex App for Roku
The Plex App for FireTV
The Plex App for Android Mobile
The Plex Media Player
Plexweb

I got em on everything, at all times, never ending.

Oh, and they fixed the local PBS transmitter after 4.? years of lousy service. It's pummeling me with pristine 9MBps MPEG2 streams that are flawless.

(the crowd roars)

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm

How often do you see a problem like this in a 1 hour TV show? (or how many 1h TV shows do I need to record to see a glitch like this)?

I am working to set up a test here.

Nick

boogmeister1

Postby boogmeister1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:53 pm

We see these glitches on every PTV program and channel as well, including our recordings. I have just been waiting for stage 2 to roll out in hopes it would fix it.

jasonmcroy
Device ID: 1061D18E, 1070B743, 1076A10B

Postby jasonmcroy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:07 pm

The glitch posted above I see about every 15-20 minutes when I record some channels. I have noticed the most on AMC and the SyFY channel. The whole screen will block up like that for about 1-2 seconds then clear up completely. Those are the 2 main Premium channels I record so I don't know if it happens on any others. I also don't watch live TV so if it occurs on that then I wouldn't know.

I could test some tomorrow and watch some live TV and see if I see it happen.

It doesn't ALWAYS occur for me though. I have never seen it on my recording of Star Wars Resistance or Lego Star Wars on the Disney channel. Those are only 30 minute shows though.

EDIT: Since I wrote this post I just watched USA which is playing Happy Gilmore for about 45 minutes without one glitch or problem. This was on my Samsung tablet over Wifi. So, like I said above, I don't see it all the time on my end.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm

How often do you see a problem like this in a 1 hour TV show? (or how many 1h TV shows do I need to record to see a glitch like this)?
If you were here, you wouldn't have to watch or record very long before you got to witness it. As little as one or two, or too many to count. It's random in it's severity, but ever present.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I was able to reproduce the problem and code up a way for our servers to detect it.

Two possible causes come to mind... continuing to investigate.

Nick

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:56 am

I'm glad to hear some issues are being cleared up here and SD is always jumping in to help, which I greatly appreciate, but is there any kind of estimate as to when Stage 2 will come around? 1.5mbps (h.264) will never be an acceptable bitrate for many users, myself included. I'm not a market expert in this space but I would think most SD users are power users and interested in higher than average video quality - something to match or come close to the OTA quality we get with your products... the difference in switching from local OTA to Premium TV is jarring.

Apologies if I'm out of line or too needy here, I was just genuinely excited to see this service pop up here but the video quality caused me to jump ship. I'm eagerly awaiting to sign up again once Stage 2 comes around. That and some sports channels *crosses fingers* :)

Zig

Postby Zig » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:33 am

[TOS VIOLATION: multiple forum accounts]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:45 am

We completed our side of Stage 2 a while ago. Currently waiting on our provider to sort some things out.

Nick

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am

We completed our side of Stage 2 a while ago. Currently waiting on our provider to sort some things out.

Nick
Any chance you can share the expected results from stage 2 at this point? H.265 alongside h.264 for sure? Assuming the upstream provider holds up their end of the bargain, can you share expected bitrates for each codec? Any 60fps streams for stage 2?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”