epg123 Now Has a Proper Guide for Plex.

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: epg123 Now Has a Proper Guide for Plex.

Postby Ken.F » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm travelling back from the holidays today but I can post my command lines I run if you want (sans my special codes for schedules direct)
Yes, please.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm

FYI. I was finally able to get epg123 to run under Wine on Linux.

I, myself, am using Crossover, but same should really apply. I used a Windows XP bottle with .NET 4.0 installed. I had to use the portable package. The installation package did install, but it would hang and exit when trying to create the actual XMLTV file.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Okay, well, it mostly works. Doesn't seem to save settings, but that's not a huge deal to me. Still easier than booting into a VM. I'll keep tinkering.

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Okay, well, it mostly works. Doesn't seem to save settings, but that's not a huge deal to me. Still easier than booting into a VM. I'll keep tinkering.
You can create the config file on a windows machine or VM and copy that over. I'm actually surprised you could get something from XP... the web client on XP wouldn't work with my software the last I checked.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:34 pm

You can create the config file on a windows machine or VM and copy that over. I'm actually surprised you could get something from XP... the web client on XP wouldn't work with my software the last I checked.
Ah, good idea!

And that has me thinking maybe I should have started with a Windows 7 bottle. Perhaps that's why the actual install was hanging and exiting when trying to download and create the guide.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:04 pm

So far, only a Windows XP bottle has worked for me. Must be just the right combination for Wine to get it working. Also, it looks like the config file is being written to, but it just doesn't get read upon relaunching epg123.exe. That might just be something that's getting lost in translation with Linux vs Windows permissions.

Either way, it's working well enough to get the guide created. That also reminds me, I still owe you a donation!

TheRafCave

Postby TheRafCave » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Can someone make a video on how to use this on a windows PC, set It up and Install with Plex?

Thanks

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Can someone make a video on how to use this on a windows PC, set It up and Install with Plex?

Thanks
I won't be able to make a video, but if you want, you can PM me on here and I'll do my best to walk you through it.

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks
I created a quick video on how to use epg123 in the server mode to create the MXF file for WMC and the XMLTV file for a local OTA lineup plus the HDHomeRun Premium TV.

Just a note: you will see multiple HDHomeRun lineups. The "... TV - East (National)" and "... TV - West (National)" were created by Schedules Direct before Gracenote finally created OTT lineups. The lineups created by Gracenote are the "... TV E (National)" and "... TV P (National)". They should be the same.

Video on the website page (2nd video):
http://epg123.garyan2.net/?page_id=503

Direct Link:
http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg ... tvOnly.mp4

EDIT: To shorten the length of the video, I had already cached a lot of data from Schedules Direct so I wouldn't have to download them again. The time required for you to perform the initial build will be longer.

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm

for Linux folks I've been using mc2xml with great success for a while now. I make two XMLs, first one for local cahnnels, then one for premium and merge them and then it auto-imports.

Since MS is still the devil and won't support NFS it does me no good to have it run on a windows box, as importing it takes too many hops skips and jumps vs just running mc2xml

I'm travelling back from the holidays today but I can post my command lines I run if you want (sans my special codes for schedules direct)
I thought I read there is an issue were everything gets marked as a movie in Plex (for some reason or another). Have you not had this issue?
That hasn't been my experience. I mostly record TV Series though, not many movies or news/sports. A quick scan of my guide info I don't see anything weird.

Trekkie

Postby Trekkie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:22 pm

Yes, please.
./mc2xml -D hdpremium.dat -J uname:password -c USA -g 27587 --sdjs-images
./mc2xml -D localota.dat -I xmltv.xml -o /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/DVR/hdhomerun.xml -J uname:password -g 27587 -c USA --sdjs-images

is the script I run, replace the second line's subdir with where you put the XML file that you told Plex about for guide data.

The first command generically creates the premium service guide data and then the second one imports it along with my localchannels.

this thread got me started https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-receive- ... s/299330/3

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:43 pm

I thought I read there is an issue were everything gets marked as a movie in Plex (for some reason or another). Have you not had this issue?
That hasn't been my experience. I mostly record TV Series though, not many movies or news/sports. A quick scan of my guide info I don't see anything weird.
They may have finally fixed their problems with importing XMLTV files... it was pretty gross. Their beta release 1.14.1.5487 (13 December) was supposed to have a fix for reading in the dd_progid which should have helped a lot with both those issues.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 am

./mc2xml -D hdpremium.dat -J uname:password -c USA -g 27587 --sdjs-images
./mc2xml -D localota.dat -I xmltv.xml -o /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/DVR/hdhomerun.xml -J uname:password -g 27587 -c USA --sdjs-images
Thanks.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 pm

They may have finally fixed their problems with importing XMLTV files... it was pretty gross. Their beta release 1.14.1.5487 (13 December) was supposed to have a fix for reading in the dd_progid which should have helped a lot with both those issues.
It looks like news programs don't have an episode number -- which would cause recording issues. Everything else looks fine, as far as I can tell.

Bigsam411

Postby Bigsam411 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Do I need to keep creating a new XMLTV file manually? I had initially created one with two weeks of Guide data and now there is no guide data downloaded. I assumed it would auto refresh. I missed a recording because of this.

Edit: In case I didn't clarify. I had guide data for two weeks and I assumed that with a year of Schedules Direct, it would just keep downloading it directly to the server to the XMLTV file. I will not want to be using this setup if I have to manually refresh every 2-3 weeks.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”