epg123 Now Has a Proper Guide for Plex.

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Ron

Re: epg123 Now Has a Proper Guide for Plex.

Postby Ron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am

it might be an extension thing... try renaming your file to ptv.xml and see if that works to copy over.
I don't think it's an extension problem, but perhaps a prefix thing. I believe the NAS has some strange path requirements, which is what I'm trying to figure out for my WD NAS.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:23 am

@garyan2

If you're around, can you tell me why selecting 2x3 posters instead of 4x3 doesn't seem to change anything when the program posters are viewed in Plex?

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:43 am

@garyan2

If you're around, can you tell me why selecting 2x3 posters instead of 4x3 doesn't seem to change anything when the program posters are viewed in Plex?
If you had already used the 4x3 posters, then you will have to delete "C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\guideImages.xml" file so that EPG123 will be forced to determine the series images again. The guideImages.xml caches all the series image links so it doesn't have to determine them again on every update.

After you delete the file, run an update again and the XMLTV file will have links to all the 2x3 images.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:26 am

If you had already used the 4x3 posters, then you will have to delete "C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\guideImages.xml" file so that EPG123 will be forced to determine the series images again. The guideImages.xml caches all the series image links so it doesn't have to determine them again on every update.

After you delete the file, run an update again and the XMLTV file will have links to all the 2x3 images.
Well, that was easy.

Thanks so much! Your hard work has been getting me by until Plex can finally give multiple EPG support. Donation incoming soon!

HMcorpsman

Postby HMcorpsman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 am

So I too have set this up and honestly, it's working well. I am running on Win 10 and I stream to fire TV, Android, Roku, and my computer. I did have 2 HDHR Prime's setup with cable tv coming to them. That worked very well but was very expensive and I did not use many of the channels. I now have a Quatro and a dual tuner setup. I did have them mapped by using the plex cable guide.
The problem I am having is the shows in my record list are now not being picked back up as having airings coming up. I basically had to rebuild my record list. I did not have to do this for any other of the setups I did. Now I am not trying to be a complainer here because rebuilding my record list is a small price to pay to have a guide that works with both OTA and the streaming channels, but my concern is that the guide is not proving the proper info to Plex to tell it was the shows are. This concerns me because I don't want plex recording extra shows because I can't match up what is in my library of shows already (you know that record higher resolution option). I have played with all of the options in the epg123 list and after updating the xml file and the plex guide no matter what I do it all seems to work the same but not pick up my prior recording list. Any ideas or is this just how it's going to be? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:44 am

So I too have set this up and honestly, it's working well. I am running on Win 10 and I stream to fire TV, Android, Roku, and my computer. I did have 2 HDHR Prime's setup with cable tv coming to them. That worked very well but was very expensive and I did not use many of the channels. I now have a Quatro and a dual tuner setup. I did have them mapped by using the plex cable guide.
The problem I am having is the shows in my record list are now not being picked back up as having airings coming up. I basically had to rebuild my record list. I did not have to do this for any other of the setups I did. Now I am not trying to be a complainer here because rebuilding my record list is a small price to pay to have a guide that works with both OTA and the streaming channels, but my concern is that the guide is not proving the proper info to Plex to tell it was the shows are. This concerns me because I don't want plex recording extra shows because I can't match up what is in my library of shows already (you know that record higher resolution option). I have played with all of the options in the epg123 list and after updating the xml file and the plex guide no matter what I do it all seems to work the same but not pick up my prior recording list. Any ideas or is this just how it's going to be? Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Sorry, currently out Xmas shopping with the kiddos... I'll be able to respond more later. Why do you need to do the setup so often?

3rob3

Postby 3rob3 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I too had to re-add all my recordings after switching to epg123. Wasn't a big deal, use your phone and Plex app there, it's much faster. I'm guessing the Schedules Direct show ID's are different than the native Plex guide.

HMcorpsman

Postby HMcorpsman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:03 am

Sorry, currently out Xmas shopping with the kiddos... I'll be able to respond more later. Why do you need to do the setup so often?
I guess it sounds often but really it's just the evolution of my plex setup over the past year as my primary DVR system. Basically, I have gone from using the Plex built in guide to the epg123 one and it no longer recognizes my recording list. I am able to add new shows ( the same ones in fact) and they work fine to record shows. I just don't understand why the old list is not working and my concern is that I am not getting the proper info into plex with this guide to ensure that all the functions are working correctly.

Thank you for your time and be safe while your shopping!

HMcorpsman

Postby HMcorpsman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 am

I too had to re-add all my recordings after switching to epg123. Wasn't a big deal, use your phone and Plex app there, it's much faster. I'm guessing the Schedules Direct show ID's are different than the native Plex guide.
Your right, It's not that big of a deal I'm just making sure I am not leaving out some kind of functions because I do have some series that are recorded in SD or missing episodes and Plex has done a great job of replacing them with HD or finding missing episodes. Thanks for responding.

garyan2

Postby garyan2 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:13 pm

I guess it sounds often but really it's just the evolution of my plex setup over the past year as my primary DVR system. Basically, I have gone from using the Plex built in guide to the epg123 one and it no longer recognizes my recording list. I am able to add new shows ( the same ones in fact) and they work fine to record shows. I just don't understand why the old list is not working and my concern is that I am not getting the proper info into plex with this guide to ensure that all the functions are working correctly.

Thank you for your time and be safe while your shopping!
Reading your post again on a computer instead of the phone makes what you were saying and asking easier to understand... sorry for my confusion.

Unfortunately, I don't know how Plex determines what is part of the same series and what is not. Nor do I know how they determine if you already have the same show/episode in your library. I only subscribed to Plex for a month in order to find out what was not working in their XMLTV imports. I think most of what I found not working in Plex is either now fixed or planned to be fixed... a big one was the proper handling of the dd_progid field. In the dd_progid field, a unique series ID and production number can be used for the DVR features that you are asking about. I thought maybe Plex simply used the series titles and then the season and episode numbers since everything appeared to work for me.

Some possible reasons that the past record list did not work with epg123's XMLTV is due to either some unique ID difference; either a series ID or the channel/station ID. The channels have unique IDs as well and those would definitely be different. When you set a recording, do you specify a specific channel, or is it set for any channel?

As far as your concern about proper information from epg123 to plex, all I can say is I am providing all the information I can within the limitations of the XMLTV format. It is up to Plex to recognize uniqueness.

I know I recommend not using the Enhance Guide feature in the DVR since I saw a few incorrect matches, but this may be a case where it could make the link with the old recording list and the new epg123 xmltv file. Do you have that feature enabled?

HMcorpsman

Postby HMcorpsman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Reading your post again on a computer instead of the phone makes what you were saying and asking easier to understand... sorry for my confusion.

Unfortunately, I don't know how Plex determines what is part of the same series and what is not. Nor do I know how they determine if you already have the same show/episode in your library. I only subscribed to Plex for a month in order to find out what was not working in their XMLTV imports. I think most of what I found not working in Plex is either now fixed or planned to be fixed... a big one was the proper handling of the dd_progid field. In the dd_progid field, a unique series ID and production number can be used for the DVR features that you are asking about. I thought maybe Plex simply used the series titles and then the season and episode numbers since everything appeared to work for me.

Some possible reasons that the past record list did not work with epg123's XMLTV is due to either some unique ID difference; either a series ID or the channel/station ID. The channels have unique IDs as well and those would definitely be different. When you set a recording, do you specify a specific channel, or is it set for any channel?

As far as your concern about proper information from epg123 to plex, all I can say is I am providing all the information I can within the limitations of the XMLTV format. It is up to Plex to recognize uniqueness.

I know I recommend not using the Enhance Guide feature in the DVR since I saw a few incorrect matches, but this may be a case where it could make the link with the old recording list and the new epg123 xmltv file. Do you have that feature enabled?

I usually do have that on, but I turned it off. It did not make a difference for me either way with it on or off. I can set show per channel, however, I have them set up for any channel, and as I have switched from OTA, Cable and now to the Premium TV they have always found the new recording from one change to the other. The only difference now is in using the EPG123 instead of the direct pull from grace notes through Plex. It's possible that it is some unique identifier but in truth, both of these guides are being generated from grace note epg123 is just going through someone who is buying from grace note and then reselling as I understand it, so I'm not sure how it would pick up a new identifier. Still, it's possible. I'll keep testing, but in the end, this is a much better solution than remapping cable channels. Thanks for the help.

TheRafCave

Postby TheRafCave » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 am

Will this fix an issue I'm having with USA network playing WWE RAW at 10pm vs 7pm where It should be? I'm Central Time.

Thanks.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:49 am

Will this fix an issue I'm having with USA network playing WWE RAW at 10pm vs 7pm where It should be? I'm Central Time.

Thanks.
It will correct the listings. It won't solve when it's being aired. That channel is only offered with the Pacific time zone.

TheRafCave

Postby TheRafCave » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:56 am

Thanks.
It will correct the listings. It won't solve when it's being aired. That channel is only offered with the Pacific time zone.
Right so this will change the Plex guide to show that RAW Is aring at 7pm Instead of 10pm Central time?

Bigsam411

Postby Bigsam411 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:15 pm

When I create an xmltv file in epg123 where is it saved to? I see a normal xml file in C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\customLineup.xml but when I try to add that in Plex all of the guide channels show up blank.

I followed steps from earlier on in the thread to generate the file and can see all of the HDHR Premium channels and antenna channels all in epg123 before I saved and executed.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”