Lineup Requests for Premium TV

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Sammy2

Re: Lineup Requests for Premium TV

Postby Sammy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 am

I think it would good to split out the espn/Disney channels to lower the base cost, possibly add a few channels. They add at least $10 I bet.
This is always one of those issues with the bundles/pricing. Could you save, in theory, (lets use your) $10/mo by eliminating some substantive group? Quite probably. But to add it back in as a separate kicker it might vert well cost $12-15/mo. The way content is sold and bundled is often more like "the more you buy the more you save (bigger discount)" that some (big-box) stores use. So you end up with all sorts of trade offs with the offering. It might be an interesting ask for a poll, but the real ask you need to make is not with the people engaged on this forum (this is a self selected group who choose to participate and most have attitudes), but the broader audience of perspective customers(*). The broader group(s) interests are usually evaluated on market research performed by companies that specialize in such polls, and even then they may end up punting on the hard stuff, because no one wants to pay for the analysis of the hard stuff.

(*) That is another reason why a poll here may be a bit amusing, but ultimately not really helpful for a company trying to make the hard decisions. You need the broader audience poll of which even the question bias has to be considered(**). Unbiased and useful polls are hard (and even the best of them sometimes get things really really wrong, and many are no where near the best).

(**) For those that are not aware, even how the question is framed can produce widely different results.
Ahh.. The statistician! I agree for the most part here. What a poll on here would show is what current Silicon Dust Clients desire and not as much what is desired in general to broaden the market share for Silicon Dust.

That said, I think there may be a pretty broad spectrum here as well; at least broad enough to have some direction.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:49 am

The current set of channels is the core set and can't be split. Plan is to add more channels as optional extras.

Nick
Well, I am hoping, now that Stage 1 is completed, the core set of channels can be brought to Canada, before chewing up bandwidth with the addition of extra channels, wait for Stage 2 completion to add extra channels, this is just my opinion, as a Canadian, patiently waiting for your service.

Thanks
Steve
First off, it is nice to see feedback from Silicon Dust indicating that they are at least looking into adding more packages to PremiumTV offering.

I agree, getting this in more markets outside the US is a good goal to achieve and there's really no reason this cannot be done concurrently with Stage 2.

I'm in a tough place with a grandfathered $35 YTTV subscription that offers much more than the PremiumTV offering with the exception of complete control of my DVR and being able to stream my content anyplace I have a decent internet connection. YTTV is locked down to geographical area OTOH. This means that unless there's more available, even at a bit higher price than YTTV I will definitely be making the switch to PremiumTV for that homegrown DVR.

This brings a question.. In the PremiumTV Lineup are there channels that do not have stand-alone apps? The reason I ask is I know that Fox Sports locks the user into having a "TV Provider" in order to use their app and having their content on something less walled in could be a sticking point to ever getting it through PremiumTV.

And lastly, @nickk is it possible to let us know what we may be able to expect? Will we see a poll or are you just perusing the suggestions on here? Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA

JeffMoak

Re: Lineup Requests for Premium TV - My Add

Postby JeffMoak » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm

FBN Fox FOX Business Network (FBN) Maria Bartiromo, Stu Varney and Lou Dobbs.
Add this channel and I subscribe.
Am I the only soul that wants this channel?

???
:cry:

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:51 pm

???
Guess so! LOL

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 am

???
I haven't noticed many requests for those. Most of the requests fall along the line of unless my wife,gets blah, blah blah, my kids get bling, bling,bling, and I get pop, pop, pop, we aren't committing.

Personally, I like what we have, I like the pricing.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Fs1 is a pretty glaring omission this time of year. Be nice if there was a sports pack add on.

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Fs1 is a pretty glaring omission this time of year. Be nice if there was a sports pack add on.
Agreed. Having to listen to the audio streams for the NLDS on MLB.TV. Bummer that they're on FS1.

fizban11

Postby fizban11 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Ahh.. The statistician! I agree for the most part here. What a poll on here would show is what current Silicon Dust Clients desire and not as much what is desired in general to broaden the market share for Silicon Dust.

That said, I think there may be a pretty broad spectrum here as well; at least broad enough to have some direction.
I disagree a poll would show what current Silicon Dust clients desire. I use HDHR for all locals except PBS which I just can’t receive here in Waco. I do not currently subscribe to Premium TV and won’t as long as the SEC network is not included. A poll that I could vote in for this channel would be great! And if I switch to Premium TV due to the result/action of the poll, then SD gains my business, expanding their market share.

I was paying $140 to DTV and moved to a cord cutting antenna, HDHR’s and PSVue. Now, I pay $50 after taxes for PSVue after a second price hike, saving $90 a month. We, as a family with kids who have graduated to Netflix and HULU (which we always subscribed to in addition to DTV), only watch locals, Fox News and live sports. I just can’t be without the SEC Network. We could not care less about other channels, but understand other people do care about other channels.

For us, price is a factor, but so is convenience. The idea of having our streaming channels incorporated into one location with our locals, along with a DVR we control, is very appealing! If there was an add-on package for sports, on top of the $35/mth charge for Premium TV, we would be fine with it for sake of convenience. But a traditional channel guide would be great, as well.

Channels Desired in order of preference:
1) SEC Network
2) FBN
3) FS1 and FS2
4) any other sports channels in a package

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 am

I agree that the channels are, as-is, pretty good. There's never going to be a perfect mix that suits everyone. I do really like the idea of add-on packs. Choice is good!

I still think BBC America is one of the most popular, common-channel omissions. That's the only "notable" missing channel for my household.

The Science Channel and Smithsonian would be welcome, but I doubt there's much widespread appeal in either of those.

carterbunch

Postby carterbunch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am

Boost the sports options.

Sports:
FS1
FS2
FS Locals
NBCsn
CBSsn
NFL and subs
NHL
MLB
NBA
Golf

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am

I agree that the channels are, as-is, pretty good. There's never going to be a perfect mix that suits everyone. I do really like the idea of add-on packs. Choice is good!

I still think BBC America is one of the most popular, common-channel omissions. That's the only "notable" missing channel for my household.

The Science Channel and Smithsonian would be welcome, but I doubt there's much widespread appeal in either of those.
IDK..

I watch all of these but it seems some of it is available otherwise.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 am

Boost the sports options.

Sports:
FS1
FS2
FS Locals
NBCsn
CBSsn
NFL and subs
NHL
MLB
NBA
Golf
Definitely!

Catbigred

Postby Catbigred » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 am

I would agree I miss my BBCA and DisneyXD for my Dr. Who and my 10 year old for the Disney.

Azr43l

Postby Azr43l » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 am

FS1 and BBCA.

A lot in the current package could be dropped, but that's another story.

ibedonc

Postby ibedonc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 am

Again ,, BBC , HM Movies , NGC wild , SciTV

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”