Lineup Requests for Premium TV

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
ycavan

Re: Lineup Requests for Premium TV

Postby ycavan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm

wait.. we're not supposed to post channel suggestions if another provider already provides it? what was the point of this thread then?

I like this service, but if the suggestion is to buy another service altogether that's not integrated in this one at all... then I'd probably go with another provider altogether that already has the channels that I want.

As I stated earlier, my wife and I love this base package because it fits about 80% of our watching habits; but I would still like SD to look into the possibility of adding additional channels for an extra cost & that's what I thought was this thread's purpose.

Who cares if you can record those "premium plus" channels? If you can watch them without going to another app, that's a plus in my book.

We use Android TV tv's in our house & we love being able to use 1 remote for the tv viewing experience and SD has pretty much made our lives feel like it was "back in the old days" when you didn't need 30 remotes for entertainment. :)

Cayars

Postby Cayars » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:29 pm

I think what Sammy2 meant was that he wouldn't include the HBO, Cinemax, Encore type channels as we know they always DRM those channels so it's pointless right now to ask for them.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:32 pm

wait.. we're not supposed to post channel suggestions if another provider already provides it? what was the point of this thread then?

I like this service, but if the suggestion is to buy another service altogether that's not integrated in this one at all... then I'd probably go with another provider altogether that already has the channels that I want.

As I stated earlier, my wife and I love this base package because it fits about 80% of our watching habits; but I would still like SD to look into the possibility of adding additional channels for an extra cost & that's what I thought was this thread's purpose.

Who cares if you can record those "premium plus" channels? If you can watch them without going to another app, that's a plus in my book.

We use Android TV tv's in our house & we love being able to use 1 remote for the tv viewing experience and SD has pretty much made our lives feel like it was "back in the old days" when you didn't need 30 remotes for entertainment. :)
There's no way to do that unless through the HDHR App and the DRM scheme being used with the Prime. All other tuners are DRM free.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:37 pm

I also think some other channels are being "copy protected" by the providers and that may hinder them being on PremiumTV. Of course a lot of them were not when I had two Primes going previously so I could be wrong. Even some of the HBO's were copy freely on Charter Spectrum for me.

I am not saying to use another app besides SiliconDust's Premium TV because that is the point of this discussion.. to not have to use another app. What I am saying is that I currently use ***** to fill in missing content from YoutubeTV and was figuring if I switched from YTTV to PTV I'd still keep *****. That was a mistake and that is why I didn't include some channels in my listing previously.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm

If it was up to me I would sub to something along these lines:
Base - Current offering minus Disney/ESPN, +BBC (~$25)
Disney + Espn (+ $10)
FS1, FS regional, MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, CBSs, NBCs, Big10, Pac12 (+$15)
Redzone (+$8)

Cayars

Postby Cayars » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:22 am

If it was up to me I would sub to something along these lines:
Base - Current offering minus Disney/ESPN, +BBC (~$25)
Disney + Espn (+ $10)
FS1, FS regional, MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, CBSs, NBCs, Big10, Pac12 (+$15)
Redzone (+$8)
Now you're getting into Cable prices with still a lot of channels missing. :)

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 am

Now you're getting into Cable prices with still a lot of channels missing. :)
I have it starting at $25 and going up from there. A similar package on Spectrum would probably run me $70, sure with more SD channels I never watch. Currently, I have Choice which is ok on promo for $20 the first year. All the streaming options start at $40 and go up from there. PSVue at $50 would probably be workable, but still limited in many respects. In the end, I'm less concerned about saving a few bucks here or there. I am very interested in a DRM-free home-brew DVR that doesn't limit time and place-shifting.

ibedonc

Postby ibedonc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:36 am

you have most of what I want , but BBCA, HMM, Sci Ch and Nat Geo Wild are the ones missing for us

I am a long time user of mythtv and would want to use it and be able to record

this would allow me to drop DISH Net..
Last edited by ibedonc on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 am

Whatever is decided, please don't change the base package and pricing

John-Galt

Postby John-Galt » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pm

What he said!

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:20 am

I think it would good to split out the espn/Disney channels to lower the base cost, possibly add a few channels. They add at least $10 I bet.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 pm

I totally agree.

I know if something changes, I'm only committed to Premium TV on a month to month basis, but that's not the point. We have committed to support Premium TV, and hope to feel comfortable with our decision, based on the channels offered, and price stated.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I think it would good to split out the espn/Disney channels to lower the base cost, possibly add a few channels. They add at least $10 I bet.
This is always one of those issues with the bundles/pricing. Could you save, in theory, (lets use your) $10/mo by eliminating some substantive group? Quite probably. But to add it back in as a separate kicker it might vert well cost $12-15/mo. The way content is sold and bundled is often more like "the more you buy the more you save (bigger discount)" that some (big-box) stores use. So you end up with all sorts of trade offs with the offering. It might be an interesting ask for a poll, but the real ask you need to make is not with the people engaged on this forum (this is a self selected group who choose to participate and most have attitudes), but the broader audience of perspective customers(*). The broader group(s) interests are usually evaluated on market research performed by companies that specialize in such polls, and even then they may end up punting on the hard stuff, because no one wants to pay for the analysis of the hard stuff.

(*) That is another reason why a poll here may be a bit amusing, but ultimately not really helpful for a company trying to make the hard decisions. You need the broader audience poll of which even the question bias has to be considered(**). Unbiased and useful polls are hard (and even the best of them sometimes get things really really wrong, and many are no where near the best).

(**) For those that are not aware, even how the question is framed can produce widely different results.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:00 pm

The current set of channels is the core set and can't be split. Plan is to add more channels as optional extras.

Nick

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:28 pm

The current set of channels is the core set and can't be split. Plan is to add more channels as optional extras.

Nick
Well, I am hoping, now that Stage 1 is completed, the core set of channels can be brought to Canada, before chewing up bandwidth with the addition of extra channels, wait for Stage 2 completion to add extra channels, this is just my opinion, as a Canadian, patiently waiting for your service.

Thanks
Steve

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”