Premium TV - Canada

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
mike3

Re: Premium TV - Canada

Postby mike3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 am

The channel ID's that get picked up are not the same as the ones that I can get OTA and I cannot get CityTV nor French CBC OTA as I'm nowhere close to a station that would broadcast those OTA and as I noted they are different than the ones I can get as I cannot play them I just see placeholders.

SiliconDust are genius by including these Canadian channels in their IPTV offering to adhere to CRTC requirements for Canadian content and being the first legit IPTV/OTT service to come to Canada by doing so.
Not seeing this on my 2 HdHomeRun's, what are the channel #'s?
I had a family member check and they don't see these either.

fletchx86

Postby fletchx86 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 am

French
CBC is 2.1 CBFT-DT
CityTv is 62.1 CJNT

mike3

Postby mike3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:45 am

French
CBC is 2.1 CBFT-DT
CityTv is 62.1 CJNT
Those are OTA channels, not Premium channels.

fletchx86

Postby fletchx86 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am

That you are correct, I can't see them in the 1xxx channel lineup either.

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:54 am

French
CBC is 2.1 CBFT-DT
CityTv is 62.1 CJNT
I think what has happened here is your tuner has performed a auto scan on one of those nights, that you can get channels from over 150 km's away, I have 4 channels that I can receive quite frequently late at night, especially in the summer, that are 187 km's away.

PVR4Me

Postby PVR4Me » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 am

I think you've just (re-)discovered tropospheric ducting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troposphe ... ic_ducting

You can get an estimate of the tropo effects at:

http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Craig

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:12 pm

I think you've just (re-)discovered tropospheric ducting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troposphe ... ic_ducting

You can get an estimate of the tropo effects at:

http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Craig
This is indeed what appears to have happened. I triggered a rescan now and the channels I had presently were no longer present. Sorry for the confusion everyone!

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:34 am

Any update on Canada? Would be a nice Christmas present for the Bride.

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Were you looking to stay married?

Kryspy

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am

If I had to guess (and I'm not part of the group making the decision, so take this with a grain of salt), Canada roll out will probably happen after we've completed phase 2 of improving picture quality, described in other threads, as that should give us much more bandwidth to play with. Again, that's just a guess, but I think it'd probably make some sense to do it then.
Is there anything more, at this time, you could update us with, thanks.
Oh yes, sorry, there actually was slightly more to this than I previously stated. In order to roll out to Canada, we also need a Canadian currency processor. I believe that's either done or close to done, but for the sake of clarity I wanted to mention it because I forgot about it before.

Right now, the big thing holding us back from launching in Canada is definitely phase 2. Any further expanding we want to go off without a hitch from the start. At this point, we want to be in full control of the entire stream, from satellite to the home. Anything less leaves us open to weird glitches like Plex working, but Channels not. And then Channels working, but Plex not. If our provider can provide the degree of redundancy and picture quality we are looking for, then we'll start looking at expanding, but for now, we're entirely focused on providing a level of service that meets our requirements.
Any new update on this nateb?

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 am

I'm interested in an update as well. Just as an FYI it seems like PS Vue will be coming to Canada and will be direct competition (outside of not having a tie-in to Plex/Emby obviously but from a strict IPTV perspective and PS Vue having a full line-up not an OTA supplement) so the longer the Canadian market waits the less of a 'first mover' advantage SiliconDust will have.

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 am

I'm interested in an update as well. Just as an FYI it seems like PS Vue will be coming to Canada and will be direct competition (outside of not having a tie-in to Plex/Emby obviously but from a strict IPTV perspective and PS Vue having a full line-up not an OTA supplement) so the longer the Canadian market waits the less of a 'first mover' advantage SiliconDust will have.
Sweet, wasn’t aware PS Vue was coming, I can always unload my HDHomeRun’s.

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am

It's probably a long way out but there was a job posting for a Technical Program Manager for PS Vue in my hometown (Waterloo).

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/tech ... 990182892/

If they aren't working on expanding PS Vue to Canada I can't fathom why this position would be in Waterloo given our access to UW CS students via co-op and tech talent.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”