Premium TV - Canada

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Premium TV - Canada

Postby signcarver » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:31 pm

This is a quote directly from the crtc web site...
In Canada, services that broadcast over the Internet don't need a licence from the CRTC, as we exempted them from this obligation. We do not intervene on content on the Internet.

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Also form https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/musi.htm this line
In Canada, services that broadcast or stream content online don't need a licence. Whether you can view or listen to content on a site is based on distribution rights.
was covered as nickk already said they have the distribution rights.

Martin

kyl416

Postby kyl416 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Seriously removed by moderator? So warning you about the legal nightmare if you attempt to launch your service in Canada with the same channels you carry in the USA, and examples of why that is the case with a list of which channels own the exclusive rights to that content so you know which companies you have to deal with, and how other more established OTT services like Netflix, WWE Network and CBS All Access have dealt with it for their Canadian launches is against the forum rules?
For your sake and the future of SiliconDust, I hope you heed my advice since I have dealt with needing to protect local rights as part of international expansions professionally for the past decade, and seek council from lawyers familiar with Canadian copyright law before you attempt to launch in Canada, especially if your current team incorrectly told you that just because you have deals with those channels in the USA, it gives you the rights to distribute those channels in Canada. That CRTC line is only about not needing to have a license to offer your OTT service in Canada since even cable providers are licensed by the CRTC, it does NOT mean an OTT service is exempt from protecting the exclusive programming rights Canadian channels have.

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:22 pm

I am happy to pay in US dollars via a credit card as I do for other US services. PayPal is also fine. Shouldn't that be possible now? Once the trial works I will send an HDHR Extend in for the update and as I can pay for that now. Silicon Dust seems to be able to accept orders from Canada.

Martin
If you can see the beta channels now your Extend has been updated otherwise you can download and run the installer for Mac/Windows which will update it:

https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/firmware-upgrade/

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Not trying to start a flame war here, but the beta channels I 'see' in my list include Canadian content in place of the big 4 US networks. And, based on the additional channels they appear to be offering beyond that those broadcast on Canadian cable/satellite networks with US commercials as is so I don't see the content problem but I'm no Michael Geist and many people aren't.

It's not like SiliconDust is some grey market hack-job of a company either. They've been doing OTA for years and likely had to navigate laws and rules for PVR'ing OTA content, so assuming they don't have the legal ducks in a row is a bit insulting.

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm

If you can see the beta channels now your Extend has been updated
Thanks I am talking about getting the hardware update to go fanless. Otherwise it is too noisy a device for transcoding and I have had it on the shelf for a while because the ATSC reception was not as good as other tuners. Premium TV will make it useful so spending the extra money for the upgrade worthwhile.

Martin

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:48 pm

If you can see the beta channels now your Extend has been updated
Thanks I am talking about getting the hardware update to go fanless. Otherwise it is too noisy a device for transcoding and I have had it on the shelf for a while because the ATSC reception was not as good as other tuners. Premium TV will make it useful so spending the extra money for the upgrade worthwhile.

Martin
What Canadian channels are you seeing?

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 pm

The premium channel names and numbers I see are the same on the FAQ list for Americans.

Martin

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Not trying to start a flame war here, but the beta channels I 'see' in my list include Canadian content in place of the big 4 US networks. And, based on the additional channels they appear to be offering beyond that those broadcast on Canadian cable/satellite networks with US commercials as is so I don't see the content problem but I'm no Michael Geist and many people aren't.

It's not like SiliconDust is some grey market hack-job of a company either. They've been doing OTA for years and likely had to navigate laws and rules for PVR'ing OTA content, so assuming they don't have the legal ducks in a row is a bit insulting.
What Canadian Channels are you seeing?

mike3

Postby mike3 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm

The premium channel names and numbers I see are the same on the FAQ list for Americans.

Martin
Sorry, I quoted the wrong person.

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 am

CityTV, CTV Toronto, Global Toronto, CBC Toronto, French CBC (not sure from where), and TVO. I know these aren't OTA either as I can get OTA versions of CTV, TVO and Global as well. I can't access any of them, not even in demo mode as I can the premium channels. I'm assuming this is how SD is getting around the legal requirements of having Canadian content being an OTT service serving Canadian customers. It's pretty genius really.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:06 am

CityTV, CTV Toronto, Global Toronto, CBC Toronto, French CBC (not sure from where), and TVO. I know these aren't OTA either as I can get OTA versions of CTV, TVO and Global as well. I can't access any of them, not even in demo mode as I can the premium channels. I'm assuming this is how SD is getting around the legal requirements of having Canadian content being an OTT service serving Canadian customers. It's pretty genius really.
I'm not sure I'm understanding. All of those channels are available OTA. I'm not sure about CityTV though.

I'm confused on what you're referring to as genius?

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:10 am

The channel ID's that get picked up are not the same as the ones that I can get OTA and I cannot get CityTV nor French CBC OTA as I'm nowhere close to a station that would broadcast those OTA and as I noted they are different than the ones I can get as I cannot play them I just see placeholders.

SiliconDust are genius by including these Canadian channels in their IPTV offering to adhere to CRTC requirements for Canadian content and being the first legit IPTV/OTT service to come to Canada by doing so.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 am

The channel ID's that get picked up are not the same as the ones that I can get OTA and I cannot get CityTV nor French CBC OTA as I'm nowhere close to a station that would broadcast those OTA and as I noted they are different than the ones I can get as I cannot play them I just see placeholders.

SiliconDust are genius by including these Canadian channels in their IPTV offering to adhere to CRTC requirements for Canadian content and being the first legit IPTV/OTT service to come to Canada by doing so.
Got'cha... What are the channel numbers for these stations?

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 am

Not seeing this on my 2 HdHomeRun's, what are the channel #'s?

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”