Premium TV - Canada

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
Kryspy

Re: Premium TV - Canada

Postby Kryspy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 am

It’s onvious that the people answering in these forums are not anywhere near the top of the corporate food chain.

Trust me when I say that this is a pipe dream and never coming unless CRTC requirements are met. Those requirements involve running IPTV over a closed network. This means at the very least Silciondust would need to partner with a Canadian ISP and we the customer subscribing to that ISP.

Kryspy

Cayars

Postby Cayars » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 am

I'm no expert on CRTC in Canada but I don't think this has much to do with IPTV services over the Internet.

SD is not filing to become a broadcaster which would fall under CRTC.

The issue is content rights. Typically when you license content it's for a geographic area (ie USA only) only. However this has been rapidly changing during contract negotiations globally as technology is driving this. Fixed cable plant/satellite providers aren't the only game in town anymore and the content holder know this and want to profit more on their content so they are changing the way content is licensed.

SD is not the only company to announce it's coming to Canada soon btw.

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 am

Yes and it just so happens that channel content rights also coincide with big telcos.

Rogers, Corus, Bell media all owned by telcos with little interest in sharing their broadcast rights which the CRTC has been quick to defend.

IPTV is a service over the Internet; that’s where the “I” comes in. I hope all of this is true that we are going to see greater flexibility. I just am playing the devils advocate that so far if the likes of Netflix etc. have had to curtail and enforce geographical broadcast boundaries I just don’t see how Silicondust has somehow found an angle.

I subscribe to Bells Alt TV which I watch on my Apple TV. Aside from it being broadcast from Bell it is IPTV the same as Silicondust is offering. CRTC, not Bell mandated that I must have Bells internet in order to subscribe thus, a closed network. Start communications, Vmedia, Ebox all the same requirements.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/s15/

Kryspy
Last edited by Kryspy on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cayars

Postby Cayars » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:25 am

Time will tell. :)

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:38 am

Coming soon ? Like this year?

Kryspy

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 am

If I had to guess (and I'm not part of the group making the decision, so take this with a grain of salt), Canada roll out will probably happen after we've completed phase 2 of improving picture quality, described in other threads, as that should give us much more bandwidth to play with. Again, that's just a guess, but I think it'd probably make some sense to do it then.
Is there anything more, at this time, you could update us with, thanks.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 am

If I had to guess (and I'm not part of the group making the decision, so take this with a grain of salt), Canada roll out will probably happen after we've completed phase 2 of improving picture quality, described in other threads, as that should give us much more bandwidth to play with. Again, that's just a guess, but I think it'd probably make some sense to do it then.
Oh yes, sorry, there actually was slightly more to this than I previously stated. In order to roll out to Canada, we also need a Canadian currency processor. I believe that's either done or close to done, but for the sake of clarity I wanted to mention it because I forgot about it before.

Right now, the big thing holding us back from launching in Canada is definitely phase 2. Any further expanding we want to go off without a hitch from the start. At this point, we want to be in full control of the entire stream, from satellite to the home. Anything less leaves us open to weird glitches like Plex working, but Channels not. And then Channels working, but Plex not. If our provider can provide the degree of redundancy and picture quality we are looking for, then we'll start looking at expanding, but for now, we're entirely focused on providing a level of service that meets our requirements.

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:51 am

I guess the bright side is sitting back watching the Americans beta test this for us.

Kryspy

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 am

Oh yes, sorry, there actually was slightly more to this than I previously stated. In order to roll out to Canada, we also need a Canadian currency processor. I believe that's either done or close to done, but for the sake of clarity I wanted to mention it because I forgot about it before.

Right now, the big thing holding us back from launching in Canada is definitely phase 2. Any further expanding we want to go off without a hitch from the start. At this point, we want to be in full control of the entire stream, from satellite to the home. Anything less leaves us open to weird glitches like Plex working, but Channels not. And then Channels working, but Plex not. If our provider can provide the degree of redundancy and picture quality we are looking for, then we'll start looking at expanding, but for now, we're entirely focused on providing a level of service that meets our requirements.
Thanks for the info/update.

jamiesonpepper

Postby jamiesonpepper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:41 am

We're about 3 months out from the previous reply. Do we have any update on the payment processing or phase 2? I see some additional Canadian channels present that aren't ones I get via OTA but none of them work (the US sample ones still do) so it seems like things are moving in some direction but it has been like this for at least 2 months.

Is there a 'beta' for Canadian users? I would pay to be a part of that! I'm truthfully a bit confused as to why a legit 'new' IPTV provider would target the US first when Canada is starved and completely underserved for options that don't require a VPN.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 am

We're about 3 months out from the previous reply. Do we have any update on the payment processing or phase 2? I see some additional Canadian channels present that aren't ones I get via OTA but none of them work (the US sample ones still do) so it seems like things are moving in some direction but it has been like this for at least 2 months.

Is there a 'beta' for Canadian users? I would pay to be a part of that! I'm truthfully a bit confused as to why a legit 'new' IPTV provider would target the US first when Canada is starved and completely underserved for options that don't require a VPN.
You mean three weeks, right?

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:30 am

This is the latest I received from them on twitter a week or so ago, "back end plumbing being worked on to facilitate this. Stay tuned - no date to report yet."

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am

Yup, no technical limitations are preventing Canada anymore. We're waiting on financial institutions to do their thing. Providing a guess when an international financial institution will get anything done is a fool's errand.

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm

I am happy to pay in US dollars via a credit card as I do for other US services. PayPal is also fine. Shouldn't that be possible now? Once the trial works I will send an HDHR Extend in for the update and as I can pay for that now. Silicon Dust seems to be able to accept orders from Canada.

Martin

kyl416

Postby kyl416 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”