Premium TV - Canada

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
mike3

Premium TV - Canada

Postby mike3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 am

Morning,

I'm not sure how much information everyone has regarding getting the service in Canada, but I will ask anyways.

How is it SD is going to offer all the United States channels to Canada? Isn't there some kind of restrictions on doing this? For instance, Hallmark and USA, Canada does not have these. So how are they going to offer this?

And lastly, what will the monthly cost be for Canada?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Premium TV - Canada

Postby nateb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 am

The plan is to offer exactly the channels listed at exactly the cost listed. There is talk of accepting Canadian dollars, which might require some kind of price conversion, but that's the only change. The license for all channels extends to Canada. No idea why nobody is offering USA and Hallmark.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 am

No idea why nobody is offering USA and Hallmark.
As I recall, the CRTC rejected a request by one of the cable providers to offer USA because it competed with some local channel (arguably a protectionist position), but as everyone knows, you have to operate under the laws of the nation you are providing service in. btw, I have no idea if it will become law, but the CRTC has proposed that all OTT content providers should pay into the public fund for Canadian content production (the how it could be collected is another can of worms).

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:09 am

The plan is to offer exactly the channels listed at exactly the cost listed. There is talk of accepting Canadian dollars, which might require some kind of price conversion, but that's the only change. The license for all channels extends to Canada. No idea why nobody is offering USA and Hallmark.
Do we have an estimated time of arrival for Canada?, all set to go, waiting patiently.

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 am

Just received an email from SiliconDust to subscribe to Premium TV, excitement rolled in, but turns out it is still not available yet...

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:17 pm

So, first off I use my connect every day along with channels on my Apple TVs.

The following is curiosity that will most likely come across negatively. As a Canadian who has enjoyed cord cutting for a vet long time now I am skeptical as to how you are,going to launch this in Canada?

What secret do you possess that others have overlooked? Canada, television wise is all about protectionism of the big telcos. How are you making headway where the likes of Hulu, ***** TV, Playstation Vue, You Tube TV etc. All failed?

I just don’t see how the CRTC is going to allow your service in Canada. I hope I am wrong as I appreciate competition.

Kryspy

emveepee

Postby emveepee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 am

There is talk of accepting Canadian dollars, which might require some kind of price conversion, but that's the only change.
I would be happy to pay in US dollars if it means we can get this service sooner. I'd like to get everything setup before the new fall season.

Martin

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:43 am

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 am

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part, that we were going to get this service, this weekend.

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 am

Is it possible to get an update? on the coming soon to Canada, the bride keeps asking, when am I getting Hallmark? :lol:

PVR4Me

Postby PVR4Me » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 am

Is it possible to get an update? on the coming soon to Canada, the bride keeps asking, when am I getting Hallmark? :lol:
How about a betting pool? I'll take Christmas...some year! :lol:

Craig

Kryspy

Postby Kryspy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 am

I’ll take never going to happen based on current IPTV rules put in place by the CRTC.

Kryspy

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:40 am

I’ll take never going to happen based on current IPTV rules put in place by the CRTC.

Kryspy
If this is the case, then they should remove them from the device.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 am

There are no legal reasons we're holding back from Canada at the moment that I'm aware of. Right now we're still technically in what we're calling a pre-launch phase, where we are intentionally limiting the number of users to see how our servers handle the load. Particularly with servers having to perform double duty to improve encoding, there are several that are under load at the moment. If I had to guess (and I'm not part of the group making the decision, so take this with a grain of salt), Canada roll out will probably happen after we've completed phase 2 of improving picture quality, described in other threads, as that should give us much more bandwidth to play with. Again, that's just a guess, but I think it'd probably make some sense to do it then.

x64Man

Postby x64Man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 am

There are no legal reasons we're holding back from Canada at the moment that I'm aware of. Right now we're still technically in what we're calling a pre-launch phase, where we are intentionally limiting the number of users to see how our servers handle the load. Particularly with servers having to perform double duty to improve encoding, there are several that are under load at the moment. If I had to guess (and I'm not part of the group making the decision, so take this with a grain of salt), Canada roll out will probably happen after we've completed phase 2 of improving picture quality, described in other threads, as that should give us much more bandwidth to play with. Again, that's just a guess, but I think it'd probably make some sense to do it then.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”