8 channels down now?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
cmc850

Re: 8 channels down now?

Postby cmc850 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 am

I trialed the product and actually added a tuner - paid my first monthly payment on Tuesday and returned my cablecards - now finding out many of the channels in the trial (and still advertised on the SD page) are unavailable?

Disappointing says it best - Is there a commitment these channels will be back in the package, as you continue to sell "45 channels"? I have no issue with occasional outages caused by technical issues etc, but this seems like something else?

ctalbot

Postby ctalbot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 am

I'm in the same boat. I purchased a quatro just for this service. Not having HGTV is a deal breaker so I've already signed up for a 7 day trial with another service. I do like not having to pay for local broadcasts so I might keep the DVR for at least the locals . The WAF will drop though as nobody likes juggling multiple front ends to watch TV.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 am

No other service provider I've been with sends out an email blast because of an outage; that includes cable, power, other OTT providers, etc. Wouldn't be my first choice but it is better than nothing, of course.

I think the sticky status thread already implemented is good, but it needs more information kept more up-to-date. For example, I've seen lots of good information from Nick & Nate on various topics that seem relevant to many, but it's buried 12 pages deep. More effort should be made to put that stuff in unified & sticky place. And I see the status has been updated with the comments - that's exactly what I mean. Good.

SD ought to leverage what makes the service special anyway and implement HD Premium Status as part of the my.hdhomerun.com page. We are already accustomed to checking that if/when we have HDHomeRun issues or maintenance needs. Just a "HDHomeRun Premium TV Status" page; use the bandwidth & channel statistics info you're already gathering & displaying on that "Internet performance tracking" viewtopic.php?f=129&t=70286 page and combine it with system messages you guys push out from SD headquarters to give us a meaningful status. "HDP is online but your ISP is limiting bandwidth". "HDP is experiencing issues in our Atlanta data center". "HDP is experiencing an unexpected service interruption with Hallmark and Animal Planet." "HDP is down for scheduled maintenance until 1am PDT for Stage 2 implementation" (had to get a jab in there somewhere... ;))

People just need to know what's up. We don't need a full-on technical review of why within minutes. Just an acknowledgement and hopefully an ETA on resolution. The forum moderation that shuts down & deletes discussion of source combined with channels just disappearing with no explanation are fuel to the conspiracy theories as to who & what the source is for these channels.

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

My situation is one where occasional outages are not an issue for me. We have other services that we can fall back to. What I, as a customer, need is an understanding as to the nature of the outage(s). Honestly, that's it. & yes, I'm subscribed to the health thread but there hasn't been anything posted there for a couple of days.

The concern I have is that the wife will start to get used to the other services and we will probably not buy any more HD Homerun units for this service.

SD is losing $$$ and worse, SD is losing trust. $$$ can be regained, but trust is a hard road. & no, this is definitely not a FUD post, this is a concerned customer post. How do I talk my wife into another $150-$180 hardware purchase for a service she finds unreliable?

We were also planning on getting hardware for friends and family and we've extoled the awesomeness of your service. All of that good will has come into jeopardy because SD will not level with us, the "hardcore" customers that want this service to be the best out there.

Whether it be hardware or contract disputes, let us know. It's really not that hard guys.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 am

Why is it expected that SD would give you info on problems with Premium TV when they've been scarce with info on HD DVR and DRM for years? It just ain't gonna happen. Whatever reasons, they obviously believe leaving users in the dark and lack of communication is fine.
I've just learned to lower my expectations.

sspell

Postby sspell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am

yep! crickets round here ha! HGTV is the wife's favorite channel and Discovery is one of mine. Without those the price should be lowered substantially and even then would have to think about continuing.

seth2958

Postby seth2958 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 am

I agree that more updates/transparency would be nice and the seeming lack of progress for three days is a little concerning, but I'm sure they are doing everything in their power to bring back the channels. They provide excellent hardware and have done nothing but constantly improve their services, so there's no reason to believe that objective will change in this situation.

dinki

Postby dinki » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am

Got a Plex Pass ($120) and a refurbished Quatro ($100) to use this service four months ago. Not happy if this whole thing crumbles to nothing. Guess I shouldn't have been a guinea pig.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am

We lost access to these channels yesterday. We are still trying to get a clear answer as to why this action was taken.

We will post as soon as we know more.

Nick
I guess Scripps doesn't want people to have their content portable? I suppose they want some sort of lock down DRM scheme.

Hmm.. I figure I'll have to "find another way" while keeping PremiumTV.

So I'm figuring if they don't return you'll have to reduce the monthly cost or slip in some replacement channels?
Scripps doesn't exist anymore, they are now Discovery. I find it odd that Hulu and ***** start getting those channels than they are gone here
I did not know this. Now I do. Thanks.

I still have these channels on *****, which I use to fill in the gaps (missing secondary channels on PTV) anyhow.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 am

Since the channels have been reduced should we not have a cut in price down to about $25 a month?

Or 8 new channels to include FS et al.

mike3

Postby mike3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 am

Let's be clear here, the channels that are now missing are big watched channels. Not just a hallmark channel.

I can't speak for all, but these are some popular channels we are now missing. It's more then enough to push me to another service.

I hope there is a resolution to this soon. I much prefer everything in one app with my own DVR.

Crossing fingers for better news!!

jethrocne

Postby jethrocne » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

I agree with all the posts in the thread, I popped on by the forum to check another topic and noticed the outage of the Big 8

For me, SD has the best acceptance factor for a new cord cutter. With the premium lineup integrated into the OTA guide it is an awesome experience. My primary frontend viewer is Channels DVR and the combo hits all the checkmarks in our household.

Watching this thread and health status closely...

tpm

Postby tpm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 am

Let's be clear here, the channels that are now missing are big watched channels. Not just a hallmark channel.
You're projecting. Hallmark is the most watched non sports channel in November and December.

This was already a big problem before it reached a channel that was concerning to you.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

I don't know about you guys but absolutely NONE of these channels need to be watched Live. For me they're surf to watch channels. I can load this sort of content onto my Emby Server and watch at will for that matter but it was just nice to have them delivered in a traditional way with my own DVR. If they're gone, they're gone. I'll survive but certainly re-evaluate what PremiumTV is now worth and probably re-activate my on-hold $35/month YouTubeTV subscription if it isn't made right by SiliconDust by either a price reduction, other alternate channels or a combination of both.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 am

SD ought to leverage what makes the service special anyway and implement HD Premium Status as part of the my.hdhomerun.com page. We are already accustomed to checking that if/when we have HDHomeRun issues or maintenance needs. Just a "HDHomeRun Premium TV Status" page; use the bandwidth & channel statistics info you're already gathering & displaying on that "Internet performance tracking" viewtopic.php?f=129&t=70286 page and combine it with system messages you guys push out from SD headquarters to give us a meaningful status. "HDP is online but your ISP is limiting bandwidth". "HDP is experiencing issues in our Atlanta data center". "HDP is experiencing an unexpected service interruption with Hallmark and Animal Planet." "HDP is down for scheduled maintenance until 1am PDT for Stage 2 implementation" (had to get a jab in there somewhere... ;))
This is a really good idea. We've been playing around with adding a Premium TV specific box like DVR and the device boxes. This would be a nice way to fill that out.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”