ClearQAM tuning issue

Guide Issues
virbing
Device ID: HDHomeRun PRIME 131F5827; HDHomeRun CONNECT 1045DD26

ClearQAM tuning issue

Post by virbing »

Device: HDHomeRun CONNECT 1045DD26

I have been having problems with getting the NBC ClearQAM channels to show up on my HDHomeRun Connect.

Checking on another ClearQAM receiver (a Sony TV), the following channels should be at the following frequencies in ClearQAM. I also am including where they show up when I run the Scan on the tuner

Ch 4.1 KNBC-DT1 NBC-LA 63.3301 HDHomeRun Setup Guide Number 5050
Ch 4.2 KNBC-DT2 COZI 63.3326 HDHomeRun Setup Guide Number 5051
Ch 4.3 KNBC-DT3 NBCLX 63.3421 HDHomeRun Setup Guide Number 5052

For a while I was able to tune Ch 4.1 but was not able to get guide data. I tried to contact Frontier to get them to do whatever they need to do to bond the frequency to a channel but I was bounced around between techs that didn't know what to do. It was a similar situation with 4.2 & 4.3 where I was able to tune and watch the channel although I couldn't schedule recordings because of guide issues.

A few days ago I added a 2nd PC as a secondary recording pool. When I downloaded and installed the application on the 2nd PC, it did not find Ch 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3. Also, I lost the signal for those channels on my original PC running as a record engine.

I realize the issue may be on my providers end, but I can still tune to the 63.3301/63.3326/63.3421 frequencies on my Sony TV and get signal even though the channel info is not provided.

My questions are:
1. Is there a reason I can no longer even see the channels in the DVR, even without guide info? Has something changed in the newest version of software that has changed channel scanning?

2. Is it possible for SiliconDust to map the frequencies so that I can get guide info? I have been working with Frontier for months to get them to fix the issue on their end, but after multiple calls, it appears the 1st level techs have no idea what I am talking about and it is really difficult to get a hold of the network techs who might be able to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Ben

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: ClearQAM tuning issue

Post by signcarver »

typically if it gets a "5000" virtual channel number SD can't map such... what exactly does the scan show for that channel as it will need a name and virtual channel number picked up by the scan. Without guide info the DVR is useless... but it used to be that the app could tune such channels so at least you could watch at 5050, 5051, and 5052 if I am understanding what you reported as numbers as it looks like information from all over the place.

For such to work "properly" on clients reliant on the scan, your provider would at the minimum have to present the station name in the psip data but preferably also the proper virtual channel number (when dealing with cable systems that may be 4.1 like you mentioned or a non-dotted number such as 4 or 1004 (or anything else) that the cable system uses for it's STB's (and some may put locals as dotted to match OTA when it comes to psip and whole numbers when it comes to the cable channels if there are any that are available via clear qam.

The 5000 numbers are considered random so if you had another device it can easily not have the same channel at 5001 (typically on the same device it will match back at least if nothing changes) So unless your provider fixes such it is unlikely to work with software dependent on the scan and you would need to use other software that lets you manually map such.

virbing
Device ID: HDHomeRun PRIME 131F5827; HDHomeRun CONNECT 1045DD26

Re: ClearQAM tuning issue

Post by virbing »

I think I understand what you are saying and fully blame FIOS for this issue. I am trying to get them to set up their end properly. Thanks for a better explanation including the terminology so that if I am able to speak to a higher level networking engineer I might be able to better communicate the issue.