Can anything be done about missing sports event details

Guide Issues
thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Can anything be done about missing sports event details

Post by thedoomster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 am

It seems more and more lately that slices and Discover are missing real sport event information. I see this on ESPNs, SNY, MSG, NHL, NBA as well as regional channels. Instead of showing which actual teams are playing, a completely useless description is provided e.g. "All the action from MLB" - substitute NHL, NFL, College Baseball, etc for MLB. Is it just me/my region (Northeast on Spectrum cablecard) or does my guide need a refresh?

gtb
Expert

Re: Can anything be done about missing sports event details

Post by gtb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

You likely need to provide your device ID, and the exact channels/times, so that this can be looked at more closely and escalated as appropriate to the guide provider.

Note that some channels will choose what game to broadcast at (essentially) the last hours, and there may be no time for that to propagate those choices through the systems, but to know if that is the problem you have to provide the details.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Yes, we'll need specifics so we can check on it. Note that some events never get specifics from the channel operator because they aren't decided until the last minute. For example, FS1 is reairing the Women's World Cup matches from the day starting at midnight ET, and as far as I can tell, they don't pick which game is in which slot until after everything is over so they can decide which one most likely to draw viewers and give it the earlier slot. Since there's typically at least a 24 hour lag between when they make a change and when it reaches customers of the various guide providers, those airings just never get any data since they're over before the change could get out. A lot of the overnight and morning filler is the same way. The live broadcasts should have full data though, except for other late changes (e.g. baseball games that get rained out and played as a doubleheader the next day).

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Device ID is 131CC070.

I see a MLB game scheduled on ESPN (ch 24 & 300) for 8:00PM tonight, which should be a regularly scheduled game, but no details are provided. Same thing on YES (ch 47 & 321) which of course is the Yankees but doesn't show who they're playing.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Looks fine to me in the live guide data for your device.
"Title": "MLB Baseball",
"EpisodeTitle": "Detroit Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals"

"Title": "MLB Baseball",
"EpisodeTitle": "New York Yankees at Chicago White Sox"

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm

I thought the same thing but then took a look at slice. What is being referred to is the details on the slice itself, for a show it gives the episode description (i.e. I'm on monk and it says monk and natalie get stuck in a small town...) For sports it gives the generic "series" decription. It would be nice for the slice itself to display the team names rather than click (if in the future) and bring up the episode list then try to find the one you clicked on.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

OK, that's a UI issue, not a guide issue. I'll make sure the UI team has logged a feature request to display the episode title on the slice, which I think would be useful for regular series as well as sports.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes, on the slice, sorry I didn't make that clearer. I don't usually switch screens when I just want basic program information, but now I will in this case at least until it gets fixed in the UI. I always thought it was strange some slices have details and some don't, when there wasn't anything special about the game scheduling (like a rainout makeup or playoff game).