unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Post by signcarver »

Out if curiosity did it update to the new engine?

TBlankenheim
Device ID: 107BBE13, 10782AED

Post by TBlankenheim »

Out if curiosity did it update to the new engine?
Yes, when I restarted the container.

usafle

Post by usafle »

Done that multiple times already. No updates.

That's why I wanted to see if there was a way to check which version is installed and compare it to whatever version is the most recent

TBlankenheim wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:22 pm Not exactly sure how to check the version of the container, but you could always CHECK FOR UPDATES on the Docker tab and see if hdhrdvr-docker is up-to-date and update if necessary.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

usafle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:34 am Done that multiple times already. No updates.

That's why I wanted to see if there was a way to check which version is installed and compare it to whatever version is the most recent

TBlankenheim wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:22 pm Not exactly sure how to check the version of the container, but you could always CHECK FOR UPDATES on the Docker tab and see if hdhrdvr-docker is up-to-date and update if necessary.
The docker is not tagged with released versions yet.. so there is no simple way to check.
Best is if you can force the container manager tool on your system to just pull the latest image, and then restart the container with the new image.
Unfortunately am not aware of UnRaids tools so can't comment further.

All versions I have pushed should update the record engine once available from SD.. the script deletes the engine on start of the container and then downloads the latest.
The only way this fails is if the record engine permissions have changed.
So try stopping the container - delete the recording engine from the /dvrdata volume - and then start the container.
It should download the latest engine and start it.
If not - check the log for details (and post here if you can't see anything). Tip is to delete the log before starting the container so we only see the log associated with that start.

usafle

Post by usafle »

That seems to have done the trick - I guess I will have to keep an eye out for any updates on this thread and manually do this each time an update is pushed out.

Code: Select all

Lets remove any existing engine - we're going to take the latest always.... 
Checking it was deleted - if we can't remove it we can't update
Downloading latest release
Downloading latest beta
Comparing which is newest
Both versions are same - using the Release version
Engine Updated to...  20200907
demonrik wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:00 am So try stopping the container - delete the recording engine from the /dvrdata volume - and then start the container.
It should download the latest engine and start it.
If not - check the log for details (and post here if you can't see anything). Tip is to delete the log before starting the container so we only see the log associated with that start.

usafle

Post by usafle »

Just an FYI; on my UnRaid system, this docker will not auto-start after a shutdown and reboot (or, in my case, power loss). Even though the "Auto Start" is checked, this docker requires a manual start upon the restart of the UnRaid system.

I only found this out due to the Wife yelling at me because all her DVR recordings were "GONE!!!" lol

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

usafle wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:04 am Just an FYI; on my UnRaid system, this docker will not auto-start after a shutdown and reboot (or, in my case, power loss). Even though the "Auto Start" is checked, this docker requires a manual start upon the restart of the UnRaid system.

I only found this out due to the Wife yelling at me because all her DVR recordings were "GONE!!!" lol
There is nothing I can do there - you need to check the options on your UnRAID server..
which option are you using?
I've noticed some installs will see 'run unless stopped' as a non-autostart (because it was stopped).

usafle

Post by usafle »

It's just as simple as having the "Box checked" for Autostart. Filezilla is set to not autostart, your docker is set to autostart

demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 am There is nothing I can do there - you need to check the options on your UnRAID server..
I've noticed some installs will see 'run unless stopped' as a non-autostart (because it was stopped).

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

usafle wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 am It's just as simple as having the "Box checked" for Autostart. Filezilla is set to not autostart, your docker is set to autostart

demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 am There is nothing I can do there - you need to check the options on your UnRAID server..
Sorry - nothing I can do then if it fails to use its autostart
Maybe check the logs see if the docker starts but fails - could be dependency on filesystem not being available before docker starts so it fails to get the engine binary in which case you probably need to use one of the others that includes a binary, but you may have other issues anyway if you can't get the recordpath volume mounted.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

There have been a lot of reports of docker not starting up on UnRAID (some have reported worse than 50% success but do see it as intermittent).

In some cases it's an error on the drive and/or some mount such as cache is "full" , particularly if not cleanly shut down and brought up as it can take some time for things to be ready. In others they have said it seems to be a particular update that caused the issues.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb »

thanks a ton to demonrik and tblankenheim. I just set up an Unraid server for the first time this month, and your steps worked perfectly for me. This whole Unraid thing is pretty cool!

djsnafu

Post by djsnafu »

Not sure what I'm missing on how to install this docker. Have been using yoshiofthewire docker but would like to try this one out. Didn't see it in CA so I tried the other way but it doesn't run/work. Are there extra parameters I need to do? Thank you

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

djsnafu wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm Not sure what I'm missing on how to install this docker. Have been using yoshiofthewire docker but would like to try this one out. Didn't see it in CA so I tried the other way but it doesn't run/work. Are there extra parameters I need to do? Thank you
Just read through first couple of posts on first page. is all there.
It's not in CA for unraid yet. needs some more tweaks I think.. just been really busy with work so haven't had any time to spend on this much recently.

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

"You will need 2 volumes you need to create or bind (recommended)
/dvrrec recordings location
/dvrdata Location to store the engine, config file and log of the script in the container"

/dvrrec is /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR right?

What about /dvrdata? Is it the same as the spk version ? /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf

Thanks..

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

fletchb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm "You will need 2 volumes you need to create or bind (recommended)
/dvrrec recordings location
/dvrdata Location to store the engine, config file and log of the script in the container"

/dvrrec is /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR right?

What about /dvrdata? Is it the same as the spk version ? /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf

Thanks..
Yes on /dvrrec
If you can map the user of the container (I do not have access to the synology container manager since mine was ARM based) just make sure that user has access to the shares.

You can put /dvrdata anywhere you want.
I would recommend creating a ContainerData share (limit access) and then have a HDHomeRunDVR folder in there to point to.