unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
redraymon

Re: unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Post by redraymon »

Just tested the container on my new DS920+, works awesome just using the Docker package right from the third party section of the Package Center. I'll let you know if I have any issues or if anything comes up as I'm using it over the next few weeks.

scyto

Post by scyto »

Nice work.

Given your container doesn't run with the privileged flag it really doesn't matter if it runs 'root' as it doesn't have privileged access. It only has access to the bind mounts (-v) nothing else.
Either way no harm running with custom PID/GID inside the container - however note the same PID/GID then need to reside on the docker host too. If on something like a synology that is royal PITA (as you discovered) - even just down to there is no way to create custom UID/GID from the synology UI :-(

I was looking through your github repo, i was unclear if SD provide multiple architecture support in their package?
(i know your container is only amd64)

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

scyto wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm Nice work.

Given your container doesn't run with the privileged flag it really doesn't matter if it runs 'root' as it doesn't have privileged access.
Just because I don't mandate it doesn't mean someone can accidently set it and cause issues. so safer I think to change it.
Either way no harm running with custom PID/GID inside the container - however note the same PID/GID then need to reside on the docker host too. If on something like a synology that is royal PITA (as you discovered) - even just down to there is no way to create custom UID/GID from the synology UI :-(
You can from command line, just not from the UI.
I was looking through your github repo, i was unclear if SD provide multiple architecture support in their package?
(i know your container is only amd64)
There is nothing in the docker that is arch specific, so it would just be a matter of ensuring the right version of alpine linux is used as the baseline.
The SD engine is a universal binary.
I'll look in to enabling arm as was curious about running on my Pi4 anyway..

TBlankenheim
Device ID: 107BBE13, 10782AED

Post by TBlankenheim »

I just loaded the most recent Synology SPK (HDHomeRunDVR-1.0.2.spk) and noticed that it is using Record Engine Version: 20200701, and yes, I have the BetaEngine flag set to 1. ;)

I am also running this docker on my unRAID server, again with the BetaEngine flag set to 1, and it is using Record Engine Version: 20200521.

Here is the log from my unRAID server

Code: Select all

** Validating the Config File is available and set up correctly
Config File exists and is writable - is record path and port correct
** Installing the HDHomeRunDVR Record Engine
Lets remove any existing engine - we're going to take the latest always.... 
Checking it was deleted - if we can't remove it we can't update
Downloading latest beta
Downloading latest release
Comparing which is newest
Both versions are same - using the Release version
Engine Updated to...  20200521
** Starting the DVR Engine 
I tried deleting hdhomerun_record from the /dvrdata directory to make sure there was not a problem deleting the old version, but no luck.

Is this expected? I was expecting the same version.

Thanks!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

TBlankenheim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:13 pm I just loaded the most recent Synology SPK (HDHomeRunDVR-1.0.2.spk) and noticed that it is using Record Engine Version: 20200701, and yes, I have the BetaEngine flag set to 1. ;)

I am also running this docker on my unRAID server, again with the BetaEngine flag set to 1, and it is using Record Engine Version: 20200521.

Here is the log from my unRAID server

Code: Select all

** Validating the Config File is available and set up correctly
Config File exists and is writable - is record path and port correct
** Installing the HDHomeRunDVR Record Engine
Lets remove any existing engine - we're going to take the latest always.... 
Checking it was deleted - if we can't remove it we can't update
Downloading latest beta
Downloading latest release
Comparing which is newest
Both versions are same - using the Release version
Engine Updated to...  20200521
** Starting the DVR Engine 
I tried deleting hdhomerun_record from the /dvrdata directory to make sure there was not a problem deleting the old version, but no luck.

Is this expected? I was expecting the same version.

Thanks!
Beta update doesn't work yet with the container
Hope to work on an update this weekend

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

Not sure if this is important, but I noticed that the timestamp on hdhomerun_record looks to be the same as when the docker was started.

If you are using the local timestamp to determine which file is newer, that could be a problem. From within the container, I did wget(s) of the record engine URL's and the retrieved files had current timestamps as opposed to the timestamp of the server file.

Hope this helps.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

TBlankenheim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 pm
Not sure if this is important, but I noticed that the timestamp on hdhomerun_record looks to be the same as when the docker was started.

If you are using the local timestamp to determine which file is newer, that could be a problem. From within the container, I did wget(s) of the record engine URL's and the retrieved files had current timestamps as opposed to the timestamp of the server file.

Hope this helps.
the wget installed as part of busybox doesn't do the timestamping properly - that's the issue in the container right now.
using 'apt add wget' installs a usable version
I will be sure to add in the Dockerfile

I had thought to do a more complex version check using 'version' command on the downloaded record engines, but it's tricky to do in shell script.
Something for later maybe.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

Is this something I should be able to do in the current container? Doesn't look like apt is a supported command unless I'm missing something obvious.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

TBlankenheim wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Is this something I should be able to do in the current container? Doesn't look like apt is a supported command unless I'm missing something obvious.
oops - apk..
Am working on updating the container.. for some reason though the PUID/PGID mods are breaking.. going to back them out so we have working container at least

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Posted a new version on DockerHub

This just gets the beta update working.

Still working on the PUID/PGID..
Thought I had something working, but once I pop the script into the Alpine container it doesn't work.
Will continue working it.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

Posted a new version on DockerHub
That did the trick. Thanks!
Still working on the PUID/PGID..
Thought I had something working, but once I pop the script into the Alpine container it doesn't work.
Will continue working it.
On unRAID, I can easily pass in the --user="<PUID>:<PGID>" parameter, so I have a workaround.

Thanks again for all your work!

usafle

Post by usafle »

If I'm running this on unRaid and I grabbed your docker via Community Apps / DockerHub will it recognize that you pushed an update? I know the dockers installed from Community Apps recognize an update but I'm not so sure if Community Apps+DockerHub works that way...
demonrik wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm Posted a new version on DockerHub

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

If I'm running this on unRaid and I grabbed your docker via Community Apps / DockerHub will it recognize that you pushed an update? I know the dockers installed from Community Apps recognize an update but I'm not so sure if Community Apps+DockerHub works that way...
Probably a question better directed at the unRAID forums, but I believe that everything works the same. Seems to work for me at least. :)

usafle

Post by usafle »

TBlankenheim wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:30 am
Probably a question better directed at the unRAID forums, but I believe that everything works the same. Seems to work for me at least. :)
Is there some way to check which version is currently installed on my system then?

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

Is there some way to check which version is currently installed on my system then?
Not exactly sure how to check the version of the container, but you could always CHECK FOR UPDATES on the Docker tab and see if hdhrdvr-docker is up-to-date and update if necessary.