Support running multiple record engines as a pool

Downloads & Instructions
nickk
Silicondust

Support running multiple record engines as a pool

Post by nickk »

We have just released our support for running multiple record engines where they act together as a pool.

If you fill up your NAS now you can add another NAS :)

Beta download page:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20613

Recording on Windows: To upgrade the record engine service download and run the Windows installer from the beta download page.

Recording on Mac: To upgrade the record engine service download and run the Mac install from the beta download page.

Recording on a Linux based NAS: From a Windows machine run HDHomeRun Setup and enabled "Check for beta updates when checking for updates" on the Advanced tab. Switch back to the DVR tab and click NAS Install. The NAS Install process will download and install the latest beta release.

Recording on Android: The Android release will be out shortly.

To check things are working go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ - check the the RECORD engine version is the latest beta (20190516beta2). All record engines must be upgraded.

Which record engine will record:

Generally whichever record engine has the most free space will do the recording.

If a record engine is already recording the channel and the new recording overlaps due to padding then this record engine will do the overlapping recording if it can. This allows a single tuner to be used for overlapping recordings on the same channel.

If a record engine reaches its concurrent stream limit then another record engine will take over additional concurrent streams. The default limit is 16 for Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD.

Advanced notes:

The StorageID in the conf file must be specified (and must be unique). The record engine will automatically create and add a StorageID to the conf file if it has write access to the file.

To limit the number of concurrent recordings set RecordStreamsMax in the conf file (on Windows, in the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\DVR as a DWORD). Once this limit is reached another record engine will take over additional concurrent recordings. The default/max is 16.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: NEW - support running multiple record engines as a pool

Post by signcarver »

Do all (updated) engines take into account what other engines have when it comes to determining if it has already been recorded?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm Do all (updated) engines take into account what other engines have when it comes to determining if it has already been recorded?
Yep :)

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Can you choose the primary drive to record too? And, once installed, can it be set back to just one Record engine.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Beerman wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm Can you choose the primary drive to record too? And, once installed, can it be set back to just one Record engine.
There isn't a primary record engine as such.

You can add or remove record engines at any time. To remove a record engine while keeping the recordings sorted by that record engine you just need to copy the files to one of the remaining record engines.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Along such notes, instead of moving content over, is a "null" entry first in the RecordPath to indicate a storage only engine still permissible? Would it be "better" to define 0 as the max stream limit (or was 0 for no limit)?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I've got it installed and have both a Synology and QNAP but after installation, I see this:
https://imgur.com/KqsDpuW

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Beerman wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:54 pm I've got it installed and have both a Synology and QNAP but after installation, I see this:
https://imgur.com/KqsDpuW
You need to run NAS Install from HDHomeRun Setup to upgrade the record engine on each NAS.
To get the latest beta (needed for this new feature) you also need to tick the beta option on the Advanced tab of HDHomeRun Setup before running NAS Install from the DVR tab.

Nick

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

That worked-thanks!

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 »

signcarver wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm Along such notes, instead of moving content over, is a "null" entry first in the RecordPath to indicate a storage only engine still permissible? Would it be "better" to define 0 as the max stream limit (or was 0 for no limit)?
I have the same question...as my current setup is two engines with one using a null entry first in the record path. This setup has worked for the past several years to combine all of my recordings from two different NAS drives.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm Along such notes, instead of moving content over, is a "null" entry first in the RecordPath to indicate a storage only engine still permissible? Would it be "better" to define 0 as the max stream limit (or was 0 for no limit)?
That is a good question. I think setting RecordStreamsMax=0 would be the best approach.

Nick

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Post by Bobstr »

Great new add.

Thanks

marks

Post by marks »

I agree, great new feature. Nice to know if I want to add a second NAS someday the HDHR DVR it will work on both.

I wonder for those who have NVIDIA shields if there can be multiple HDHR DVRs on those also. Since the forum announcement mentioned Android support would be added later for multiple HDHR DVRs I assume this would mean NVIDIA shield also.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Cool to get this at last.
QNAP, Synology and Asustor packages all updated with new record engine, and for the new Parameter (and UI to set it)

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I need to do a little checking about but I noticed that after installing the multiple record engines I'm getting duplicate recordings in both NAS's. I obviously did something wrong.