Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by NTC »

Yesterday I connected my new HDHR5-4K. I had a recording scheduled last night but it did not record. The multiple error messages I got were
Recording: myhdhomerun_record authorization error or not subscribed to dvr service

All I did was powered down my media panel, which turned off everything, including router, NAS (after proper shutdown), switches, HDHomeRun and other equipment, then swapped the old Quattro with the 4K version. Powered everything up did firmware update, and all the apps found the new tuners. All the apps, DVR manager, and my.HDHomeRun.com all indicate I have DVR record service. Is there something I'm missing or forgot to do?

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

Disregard last post. Found the info about linking device to DVR service.

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

I see that Synology is getting DSM version 7 ready to release. Will there need to be a new version of this spk for the new DSM?

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

No idea.
Since it mostly depends on shell scripting and php it should be ok. However if they change the webserver again there may be small config issues to work through.

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

I set everything up, it was easier than I could have imagined. Everything works perfectly now. I didn't even have to mess with the permissions to gain access to the SMB share of the DVR directory.

This isn't plug it in and it works easy, but it's not much harder than that. Obviously there are still other things I can use the NAS for, but I've been working on getting this OTA TV thing squared away for about a month so I'm ready for a well deserved rest. Thanks so much for the package. I'm sure the reason for the SMB access to the DVR directory is due to package updates you have made.

The only issue I'm having is the IronWolf Pro drive spins a little bit too quickly and it's audible. I'm going to move the unit down to the bottom of my shelf instead of the top. The back is open so I'm going to drop a towel or something from the level above to help block out the sound. I don't think I'll have any issues with temperature as the 4TB drive his 51C last night in an old external enclosure with a tiny fan that must not work. It got no hotter than 37C during the initial check of the disk to make sure it's free of bad sectors.

Thank you my good man! I was worried this would be a lot more painful than it has been.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DornoDios wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:01 pm I set everything up, it was easier than I could have imagined. Everything works perfectly now. I didn't even have to mess with the permissions to gain access to the SMB share of the DVR directory.

This isn't plug it in and it works easy, but it's not much harder than that. Obviously there are still other things I can use the NAS for, but I've been working on getting this OTA TV thing squared away for about a month so I'm ready for a well deserved rest. Thanks so much for the package. I'm sure the reason for the SMB access to the DVR directory is due to package updates you have made.

The only issue I'm having is the IronWolf Pro drive spins a little bit too quickly and it's audible. I'm going to move the unit down to the bottom of my shelf instead of the top. The back is open so I'm going to drop a towel or something from the level above to help block out the sound. I don't think I'll have any issues with temperature as the 4TB drive his 51C last night in an old external enclosure with a tiny fan that must not work. It got no hotter than 37C during the initial check of the disk to make sure it's free of bad sectors.

Thank you my good man! I was worried this would be a lot more painful than it has been.
Glad it worked for you.
Yeah - sound proofing on NAS boxes is not the best. You don't mention which model you have, but check the drive mounts are tight, and if there are any rubber vibration bushings that they're still pliable and not hardened.. same with rubber feet on the bottom of the NAS.
Little late now that you have drives - but this is interesting for future drive purchases https://nascompares.com/wd-seagate-hgst ... omparison/ I lucked out having the HGST drives that are number 4 for lowest noise in my main DVR NAS :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I have a DS220+. I actually found out the drives aren't making the irritating sound, it's the fan in the unit. It's bene reported by others on Reddit. A couple people returned units only to get another one with the same noisy fan. I was going to try an exchange. Instead I decided just to move the NAS a little further away and now I can't hear the fan's click noise anymore.

I can still hear the drive when it seeks. I might do something to minimize that later. Right now it's not an issue. It's audible, but not annoying like the fan noise was.

I bought a 4GB Samsung RAM upgrade for $21 from Amazon. The price is $26 now. Still, it beats paying $95 for Synology's branded 4GB ram upgrade. Unless you need support from Synology.

I intend to use the device for more things going forward, but right now I'm in need of a break. I might look into running ComSkip on the NAS, but I'm not sure. It seems like a fair amount of work and it's not hard to skip the commercials manually. If I add up all the time it takes me to skip commercials and compare it to the time it will take me to setup ComSkip I'm not sure it's worth it.

Here's the link to the RAM I bought if anyone is interested. It was listed by someone who left a review on Amazon. Have had it almost a week now and it's working great. I don't need the RAM for the DVR functions. I'm only using 4% of my ram now, so at 2GB I'd be using maybe 20% at most?. My unit reserves 367MB of RAM at all times. I'm not sure if that's a percentage or a hard number. The extra RAM doesn't go to waste, it's used to cache data that has been accessed recently. My info shows 5.2GB of cache and 120-150MB free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HJB2KSR/

Samsung 4GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19

It's $26 now, but I'm guessing it will go back down before long.

Do you know what "Resource: nbk=0 dmk=455" means? I don't understand what it is referring to. The lines appear repeatedly in the log, which I'm sure is normal. I just wonder what it means and also what the entry "write: DiskMB=149 MB/s=171 worst=1" means? Is "worst=1" a problem? It's a brand new IronWolf Pro 4TB drive that I partitioned so the first 1.5TB are used for the DVR. I'm using the Ext-4 filesystem. I checked the drive for errors before using it and it came up clean. Thanks for the HDD noise list.

Thank you so much for your package! Installation couldn't have been easier! The web interface is also great!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DornoDios wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm I have a DS220+. I actually found out the drives aren't making the irritating sound, it's the fan in the unit. It's bene reported by others on Reddit. A couple people returned units only to get another one with the same noisy fan. I was going to try an exchange. Instead I decided just to move the NAS a little further away and now I can't hear the fan's click noise anymore.
Looking at a tear down video it could be just the fan mount.. doesn't seem to be any anti-vibrate in there what-so-ever.
Maybe a 92mm anti-vibration Fan gasket might help.
I can still hear the drive when it seeks. I might do something to minimize that later. Right now it's not an issue. It's audible, but not annoying like the fan noise was.
Yeah - that thunk is louder on the ironwolf/pro than my HGST or WD Reds.
Do you know what "Resource: nbk=0 dmk=455" means? I don't understand what it is referring to. The lines appear repeatedly in the log, which I'm sure is normal. I just wonder what it means and also what the entry "write: DiskMB=149 MB/s=171 worst=1" means? Is "worst=1" a problem? It's a brand new IronWolf Pro 4TB drive that I partitioned so the first 1.5TB are used for the DVR. I'm using the Ext-4 filesystem. I checked the drive for errors before using it and it came up clean. Thanks for the HDD noise list.
not sure specifically, but that resource... message will be logged about every 2mins. I assume it's the record engine just doing some checks.
The other write message is showing you the write performance and the worst is just saying the worst write it achieved, not that there is anything wrong.. typically you get error messages for errors.
Thank you so much for your package! Installation couldn't have been easier! The web interface is also great!
No worries - just remember you only need to stop and start to get the next DVR engine release.. is fetched every time on start.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DSM 7 and this installer

getting questions everywhere around DSM7 compatibility.
So I want to make this clear

Honestly - I don't know.
And I won't know until I upgrade my sole Synology to DSM
which will ONLY happen once DSM 7 is out of beta

Upgrading to 7 means no downgrade to 6. So if I was to install I can't maintain/support anyone on DSM 6, you know.. that officially stable release of DSM!

If anyone wants to try..
I'm not aware of anything that might block it from the info I can gleam from public docs.. but again, until I actually install I can't poke around and check.
Feel free to try and let me know what issues you find.. I just may not be able to help you for a while.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Thanks so much for your help demonrik. I'll probably leave the fan alone for now as everything is working fine w/ the NAS now placed far enough away to avoid hearing the fan noise.

It sounds more like the bearing of the fan than it does vibration from placement. My main reason for thinking that is when putting pressure on the fan it has no impact on the noise at all. You'd think if it was vibration that pressing on it would at least have some impact. It doesn't bother me anymore so that's good.

The SuperBowl will be a good test to make sure everything is working as it should. I don't watch that much broadcast TV, but this will be a good chance to see how things look.

toricred6

Post by toricred6 »

I upgraded to DSM 7 this morning and everything is working fine.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

toricred6 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:37 pm I upgraded to DSM 7 this morning and everything is working fine.
good to know - thanks

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

That's good to now.
It's still in beta though, right? I think I'll hold off because things are working too good and I don't need to start another 2020 right now. :)

PLBarton

Post by PLBarton »

I Installed the HDHomeRun SPK on my Synology NAS and migrated from the existing SD DVR installation. I manually stopped the original SD record engine and moved the config file to the new package directory. However, when I try to access the site I am running into this web error.

Any help would be appreciated.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

PLBarton wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 am I Installed the HDHomeRun SPK on my Synology NAS and migrated from the existing SD DVR installation. I manually stopped the original SD record engine and moved the config file to the new package directory. However, when I try to access the site I am running into this web error.

Any help would be appreciated.
make sure the permissions are set correctly on the config file.
that error typically happens when there is a permissions issue on the config file or record engine binary