Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by signcarver »

The engine records what it gets, though most likely it is an mpeg2 codec being used, the file is really a TS with a .mpg extension regardless of the codec used in the ts. If you are using OTA (in US/canada), you could get an extend which will transcode prior to the engine getting it. The most important thing if you convert is it remains a TS with .mpg and the first 12000 bytes (approx as it is 64 ts packets) must remain the same for the metadata. Paid MCEBuddy is what many use to convert. Any more on the DVRUI should be in that thread but if you wish to put it to edit rules rather than create rules, you should really use RecordingRuleID to make the changes instead of SeriesID.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE
- Fixes the recordingURL issue in dvrui_recordings.php
- Adds new diagnostics page (gear icon in top right) - may need to clear browsing data
- Added debug variable to vars.php to now control debug better.

new SPK HDHomeRunDVR-0.5.0.spk available in the usual locationsGoogle Drive, DropBox, OneDrive

Code is available on github
https://github.com/Silicondust/dvr_install

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE
- Fixes a bug in the start script which wasn't calling the ARM wrapper correctly. This was preventing the autostart on ARM based synologies.

new SPK HDHomeRunDVR-0.5.1.spk available in the usual locationsGoogle Drive, DropBox, OneDrive

ballzd33p

Post by ballzd33p »

demonrik wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:10 pm NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE
- Fixes a bug in the start script which wasn't calling the ARM wrapper correctly. This was preventing the autostart on ARM based synologies.

new SPK HDHomeRunDVR-0.5.1.spk available in the usual locationsGoogle Drive, DropBox, OneDrive

Can you do an in place update -or- do you need to do a fresh/clean install with the new package?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I just rebooted my NAS, installed the new SPK without even following the instructions for stopping and moving my old version and everything works. It created a new HDHomeRunDVR folder, the share works and the config is still in the old directory. Is that normal?
I can say I see no UI not that I'd use it much.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Beerman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm I just rebooted my NAS, installed the new SPK without even following the instructions for stopping and moving my old version and everything works. It created a new HDHomeRunDVR folder, the share works and the config is still in the old directory. Is that normal?
I was able to manually get the UI to work. Just can't figure out how things are working without me moving the config file. I'll let this run a few days and see how lucky I am.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm
Beerman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm I just rebooted my NAS, installed the new SPK without even following the instructions for stopping and moving my old version and everything works. It created a new HDHomeRunDVR folder, the share works and the config is still in the old directory. Is that normal?
I was able to manually get the UI to work. Just can't figure out how things are working without me moving the config file. I'll let this run a few days and see how lucky I am.
where does the UI indicate the conf file is located?
Did you make any user mods to self start the old installation?
What do you mean by manually get the UI working?

sorry for all the Qs.. just trying to see where to apply help :)

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

demonrik wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 am
Beerman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm
where does the UI indicate the conf file is located?
Did you make any user mods to self start the old installation?
What do you mean by manually get the UI working?

sorry for all the Qs.. just trying to see where to apply help :)
where does the UI indicate the conf file is located? I can't seem to connect to my network at the moment but I'll get back to you on this
Did you make any user mods to self start the old installation? After I updated DSM, I did not start the old installation. I simply left everything in place and installed your latest version. Created the share and it successfully recorded all 3 scheduled shows last night. Not sure if that really answers your question. In the past, when you turn off or reboot the NAS, I'd have to go into the HDHomeRun setup, DVR tab and start the service. Your version auto starts the service for me if I reboot.
What do you mean by manually get the UI working? I just used the NAS ip address then /HDHomeRunDVR and the UI shows everything. Guess I Frankenstalled!

You aren't asking too many questions. Go back thru this thread and see how many I've asked!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:31 am Did you make any user mods to self start the old installation? After I updated DSM, I did not start the old installation. I simply left everything in place and installed your latest version. Created the share and it successfully recorded all 3 scheduled shows last night. Not sure if that really answers your question. In the past, when you turn off or reboot the NAS, I'd have to go into the HDHomeRun setup, DVR tab and start the service. Your version auto starts the service for me if I reboot.
I think this explains it for me..
When you installed the SPK it created the new Recordpath and uses it's CONF file thats included.
So it just runs..
And since all your 'tasks' are all in the cloud it just gets up and running without any changes.
That is the purpose of the SPK.. and when it's time to upgrade.. you just manually install the new SPK and it all automagically stops/installs/restarts without you having to worry.

You only really need to do anything more complex if you need to move recordings from the old system to the new, and/or want to change the record path with share support.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

ballzd33p wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:51 pm
demonrik wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:10 pm NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE

Can you do an in place update -or- do you need to do a fresh/clean install with the new package?
Just manual install the new SPK and it manages everything for you.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

demonrik wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am
Beerman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:31 am Did you make any user mods to self start the old installation? After I updated DSM, I did not start the old installation. I simply left everything in place and installed your latest version. Created the share and it successfully recorded all 3 scheduled shows last night. Not sure if that really answers your question. In the past, when you turn off or reboot the NAS, I'd have to go into the HDHomeRun setup, DVR tab and start the service. Your version auto starts the service for me if I reboot.
When you installed the SPK it created the new Recordpath and uses it's CONF file thats included.
So it just runs..
And since all your 'tasks' are all in the cloud it just gets up and running without any changes.
That is the purpose of the SPK.. and when it's time to upgrade.. you just manually install the new SPK and it all automagically stops/installs/restarts without you having to worry.

You only really need to do anything more complex if you need to move recordings from the old system to the new, and/or want to change the record path with share support.
That's exactly it.
So, to follow up, should I do anything to the old folder or just delete it? No need to ever use the DVR tab again is great.
And I've said it before but will say it again, thanks for sharing your work. I don't understand this stuff but know it takes time and your time is valuable so it's great that you did this and shared it.
I'll raise a toast to you and your good deeds!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am
demonrik wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am
So it just runs..

That's exactly it.
So, to follow up, should I do anything to the old folder or just delete it? No need to ever use the DVR tab again is great.
If you are done with everything in it - feel free to remove the old folder.. it's not longer being used anyway.
And I've said it before but will say it again, thanks for sharing your work. I don't understand this stuff but know it takes time and your time is valuable so it's great that you did this and shared it.
I'll raise a toast to you and your good deeds!
You're welcome.. I do enjoy doing it, so that helps.
At some point it's going to need very little updates from me.. at least that's my goal.. at which point I can focus on the 2 other projects which are being starved of my time :)
Am glad folks are finding them useful.. hopefully the asustor guys will like their one too.

jetlounge

Post by jetlounge »

Hi there!
DVR Record engine was humming along until the last DSM update. But now I get errors...so I updated to the latest package but I am still stuck.

I've noticed that the latest DSM changes the Package Center, so the link to the Management UIs are no longer shown..you only get to Start/Stop processes now, and I suppose have to rely on the Application thumbnails to launch. Since there isn't a thumbnail for this application package on the Home tab, I'm not sure how to access to troubleshoot.

So my first problem is that I don't know the url to the management ui to check on the settings. I have attempted http://nas ip/hdhomerundvr/ but that results in 404

Any thoughts?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

jetlounge wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 am I've noticed that the latest DSM changes the Package Center, so the link to the Management UIs are no longer shown..you only get to Start/Stop processes now, and I suppose have to rely on the Application thumbnails to launch. Since there isn't a thumbnail for this application package on the Home tab, I'm not sure how to access to troubleshoot.
I noticed too.
Is not clear how to enable it.
So my first problem is that I don't know the url to the management ui to check on the settings. I have attempted http://nas ip/hdhomerundvr/ but that results in 404

Any thoughts?
its case sensitive and should be 'HDHomeRunDVR'

jetlounge

Post by jetlounge »

Awesome! That was it! I will bookmark that now.

FWIW... the Start/Stop on the HDHR Engine App from DSM Package Center has never worked for me and I forgot that every time the Synology reboots I need to remember to go to your UI and then Start / Stop from that web page. That's the only way it resets.

All is good now. Thanks!