ppasteur

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur »

Good info. Thanks for the explanation!!

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

ppasteur wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:46 pm OK, I think that clarifies things considerably. It seems that the controls that I am missing are missing by design. Though I did like the ability to start and stop the engine from the DVR Manager.
I also liked the ability to view recordings there. Mostly as a one stop for verification.
After installing 1.0.2 the DVR status is reported properly.

"HDHomeRun RECORD running | 20200815-21:27:32 Recording: recording stated..."

One thing you might clarify for me. You say something to the effect that we don't need the recordings tab anymore because "SD has UI for record engine" (or something to that effect)
What UI is it that you refer to? Is it the client side UI for viewing recordings, perhaps?
If your NAS is IP address say 192.168.0.10
then you can simply go to 192.168.0.10:59090
And you have a UI provided directly by SD which allows you to browser your recordings.

I dropped the recordings tab because (a) this existed, but mostly because as @signcarver says (b) SD changed the API so instead of a flat list of recordings with latest first you now get a series list, and then have to walk the series by series.. so the value (IMHO) of the recordings tab as a quick check to see what's just been recorded and full list was lost unless I added some significant code to it - and I elected not to do that..

The start/stop/restart are gone because I changed the way things work now. There is a hdhomerundvr user created on the NAS and I now no longer need to have the wrappers. This means the http user can't now start/stop the engine so I removed it.
Beside that, it seems that everything is working OK with 1.0.2. Other than the tings I miss about the previous UI.
If I wanted those tools back, could I install a previous version of the SPK? Or would that just lead to more problems?
No, don't go backward..
Big advantage this one has now is you can stop via cmd line or app center and on the next start you get the latest engine.
This means you don't have to wait for me to do new SPK..
Also at some point is likely the engine will get out of date to the rest of the system - so better to stick with the 1.0.x releases.
signcarver wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:01 pm It probably should have stated "API" or such rather than UI.
Nope - I meant UI.. but the rest was also valid background :)

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

OK. Got it, and thanks for the clarification.

I have seen the info that you talk about, but got there through myhdhomerun and a series of clicks through the record engine UI.
I am not a fan of the interface, but it is there. Probably just as easy to use the client to browse recordings.
But I do understand why you dropped the feature. No sense doing a bunch of work for little gain in usability.

It is all good with my install now. I do appreciate the dialog.

BTW, We tried to figure out why I could not get the recording folder shared and visible in the original installation. I never got it working. Probably because I thought I did not really need it. Same thing, more work than I wanted to put in for little benefit. In short, I gave up.
With the current installation I got the share setup and accessible from the network.
I am Grateful for small wins !!

THX

Phil

Jimmersd
Device ID: 131F6468, 13129237

Post by Jimmersd »

Mine is saying "Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version" after upgrading to V1.0.2 Synology DS418 Play.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Jimmersd wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:24 pm Mine is saying "Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version" after upgrading to V1.0.2 Synology DS418 Play.
upgrading from what?
Likely having an issue with the previous engine versions sitting around
ssh to the NAS and execute the following 3 commands

Code: Select all

synopkgctl stop HDHomeRunDVR
rm -f /tmp/hdh*
synopkgctl start HDHomeRunDVR

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd »

demonrik wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:30 am
Jimmersd wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:24 pm Mine is saying "Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version" after upgrading to V1.0.2 Synology DS418 Play.
upgrading from what?

rm -f /tmp/hdh*
Upgraded from 0.8.3

I cleared as you instructed and no change

Version 20200521

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Jimmersd wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:47 am
upgrading from what?

rm -f /tmp/hdh*
Upgraded from 0.8.3

Version 20200521
Is the engine running at all? (working in client, or go to http://<nas ip>:59090)
Have you added read/write access for the hdhomerundvr user to the HDHomeRunDVR share?

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd »

demonrik wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am
upgrading from what?

rm -f /tmp/hdh*
Upgraded from 0.8.3

Version 20200521
Is the engine running at all? (working in client, or go to http://<nas ip>:59090)
Have you added read/write access for the hdhomerundvr user to the HDHomeRunDVR share?
The engine is running and there are no other issues. I can see the recorded files, the engine records and live TV works fine. This install has been on the same server with the exception of upgrading engines for several years. I just noticed after upgrading your DVR Manager The title bar show

HDHomeRun DVR Manager
Version:1.0.2

Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version

I installed by downloading your SPK file from google drive and used Synology App center to manually update from the existing 0.8.3 version.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Jimmersd wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 pm
demonrik wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am

Upgraded from 0.8.3

Version 20200521
The engine is running and there are no other issues. I can see the recorded files, the engine records and live TV works fine. This install has been on the same server with the exception of upgrading engines for several years. I just noticed after upgrading your DVR Manager The title bar show

HDHomeRun DVR Manager
Version:1.0.2

Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version

I installed by downloading your SPK file from google drive and used Synology App center to manually update from the existing 0.8.3 version.
sounds like the http user/group is not able to access the engine that we download at start
check the HDHomeRunDVR shared folder and ensure that http group has access
Control Panel -> Shared Folder -> Select HDHomeRunDVR -> Edit -> Permissions -> select 'Local Groups' instead of 'Local Users'

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

Hi Rik,

Just wanted to let you know that I upgraded to latest firmware and record engine without problems, once I stopped and started the record engine. It was definitely easier and quicker than packages prior to 1.1

Thanks

jayleekay

Post by jayleekay »

I've also been having some recording missing issues. I actually upgraded my hdhomerun connect duo yesterday to 20200907 and although I didn't need to (I don't think), I reinstalled 1.0.2 .spk.

This isn't the first time upgrading....something has made my recordings disappear. I just normally delete the recordings manually and start over.

It would be nice to get my recordings showing again. Here's my situation

Pre upgrade I had 2 shows I've been recording. I have 82 recordings of 1. I have 16 recordings of the other. They were all showing.

After upgrade, I only have 2 showing for the first show and 3 for the 2nd show. I'll only talk about 1 show as to not give too much information.

The 2 showing for the first show are dated 8-15-20 and 9-6-20. Looking at the files on the NAS, I actually have 3 shows all recorded on 8-15-20. Why it's only showing 1 from that day is bizarre. I have 4 recordings on the NAS from 09-06. Again it's only showing 1.

I attempted the take ownership suggestion from earlier in the thread and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm looking over winscp and it appears that all recordings from the first show are owned by hdhomerundvr and the group is users.

The new recording from today is actually owned by "super" which is my admin account. the group is still "users". It does appear in the recordings so new recordings seem to be fine.

any suggestions?

*edit. After adding r/w permissions for http, users, and hdhomerundvr on my recording directory and rebooting my NAS, I no longer see the new recordings that "super" owns.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

jayleekay wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:38 pm I've also been having some recording missing issues. I actually upgraded my hdhomerun connect duo yesterday to 20200907 and although I didn't need to (I don't think), I reinstalled 1.0.2 .spk.

This isn't the first time upgrading....something has made my recordings disappear. I just normally delete the recordings manually and start over.

It would be nice to get my recordings showing again. Here's my situation

Pre upgrade I had 2 shows I've been recording. I have 82 recordings of 1. I have 16 recordings of the other. They were all showing.

After upgrade, I only have 2 showing for the first show and 3 for the 2nd show. I'll only talk about 1 show as to not give too much information.

The 2 showing for the first show are dated 8-15-20 and 9-6-20. Looking at the files on the NAS, I actually have 3 shows all recorded on 8-15-20. Why it's only showing 1 from that day is bizarre. I have 4 recordings on the NAS from 09-06. Again it's only showing 1.

I attempted the take ownership suggestion from earlier in the thread and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm looking over winscp and it appears that all recordings from the first show are owned by hdhomerundvr and the group is users.

The new recording from today is actually owned by "super" which is my admin account. the group is still "users". It does appear in the recordings so new recordings seem to be fine.

any suggestions?

*edit. After adding r/w permissions for http, users, and hdhomerundvr on my recording directory and rebooting my NAS, I no longer see the new recordings that "super" owns.
first off - upgrade from what?
which model and DSM version?
if the recordings are being owned by 'super' something odd is going on.

with winscp log onto your NAS and please run

sudo ls -l /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR
replace /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR with whatever is your real recordings folder

jayleekay

Post by jayleekay »

It's a synology 216j running 6.2.3
I always upgrade my hdhomerun firmware when it comes out. So I upgraded from whatever it was to 20200907.

Just as a test last night, I changed the owner for the new recordings and restarted the record engine. It did not bring my new recordings back

I'll run this when I get home later.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

jayleekay wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:23 am It's a synology 216j running 6.2.3
I always upgrade my hdhomerun firmware when it comes out. So I upgraded from whatever it was to 20200907.

Just as a test last night, I changed the owner for the new recordings and restarted the record engine. It did not bring my new recordings back

I'll run this when I get home later.
Is very odd.
First thing we need to do is establish if the recordings are actually there.. if not then something else is removing them.
FWIW - the SPK does not.

Oh, and BTW - there shouldn't be any reason to re-install 1.0.2
You just need to stop and start it.. it will pick up latest record engine

jayleekay

Post by jayleekay »

the recordings are definitely there on the NAS. Last night when I checked I had a folder with 82 .mpg in it. "It Takes a Killer" is the TV Show. They have a ton of episodes.

I've set r/w recursive for all local user and all local groups through DSM. I'll check the ownership through SSH later, but I'm pretty sure it's hdhomerundvr:users except for new recordings