Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Post Reply
scottywatty
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by scottywatty »

demonrik wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 pm
scottywatty wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:58 pm forgive the ignorance here, but I have this successfully installed on my synology drive but no clue what to do next. I am trying to configure Plex, which is also on my drive to record onto the DVR manager I just installed using your instructions. I must be missing something here.
Firstly,
You don't need to install the SD DVR if you plan to use Plex as your DVR manager - is a completely different installation.
If you need help using Plex as DVR - suggest you post in the 3rd party forum

Once you install the DVR - there isn't really much you should need to do other than open up the SD app and start selecting things to record.
You can use the UI on the NAS to configure some basic things around the DVR - but only really needed should you experience issues, or want to do some more advanced config things.
I'm still confused. What SD app? What I installed from the package is not giving any options. Just parameters. When I try to set up a DVR from the Plex app it cannot find anything from SD installed. I must be missing something here because I don't understand at all.

signcarver
Expert
Posts: 9752
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 am
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36
x 22

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by signcarver »

This is for SD's HDHomeRun DVR (requires subscription to record but can be used as a live tv buffer for apps that can use SD's DVR) which is generally only used by SD's HDHomeRun app, NOTHING to do with PLEX.

Some people may point their plex server to serve the files recorded by SD's HDHomeRun DVR but that isn't always ideal with occasional problems happening on both sides.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm
x 50

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by NedS »

scottywatty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 am I'm still confused. What SD app? What I installed from the package is not giving any options. Just parameters. When I try to set up a DVR from the Plex app it cannot find anything from SD installed. I must be missing something here because I don't understand at all.
If you are using Plex for DVR then you don't need any software from Silicondust, except firmware updates for the HDHomeRun itself. Instead of using this DVR software, you would just use Plex. The Plex server already includes all the code needed to talk to the HDHomeRun and make recordings.

Install the Plex server software for your Synology and then follow their guide for getting DVR to work: https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877347-live-tv-dvr/

scottywatty
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by scottywatty »

NedS wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:49 pm
scottywatty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 am I'm still confused. What SD app? What I installed from the package is not giving any options. Just parameters. When I try to set up a DVR from the Plex app it cannot find anything from SD installed. I must be missing something here because I don't understand at all.
If you are using Plex for DVR then you don't need any software from Silicondust, except firmware updates for the HDHomeRun itself. Instead of using this DVR software, you would just use Plex. The Plex server already includes all the code needed to talk to the HDHomeRun and make recordings.

Install the Plex server software for your Synology and then follow their guide for getting DVR to work: https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877347-live-tv-dvr/
My apologies, maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I am not using Plex as DVR as where I live their antenna based system will not work. I am still interested in turning my Synology drive into a DVR and was hoping I could use this to do it. I have not decided what service (IPTV, Plex, something else) I am going to use but all the IPTV options I have seen do not have a DVR option.

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

scottywatty wrote: My apologies, maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I am not using Plex as DVR as where I live their antenna based system will not work. I am still interested in turning my Synology drive into a DVR and was hoping I could use this to do it. I have not decided what service (IPTV, Plex, something else) I am going to use but all the IPTV options I have seen do not have a DVR option.
Are you saying u want to DVR an IPTV service?
If so, then you're looking in the wrong place.
Silicondust's solution is centered around over the air broadcast (antenna) or cable through tuners. The DVR is geared around recording from those tuners, and those tuners only.

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

joerg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:55 pm
DSM 7 has now published a Release Candidate. You may consider to start now porting the package to the new version.
Saw that.. in the middle of a grounds up 2u Unraid NAS/Server build (been planning for the last year) which is taking up my free time as I try to get the right balance of cooling and noise.

If all goes well this weekend I hope to switch my synology over to the RC as it will be religated to test duties only going forward.

Going forward though I'm going to be mostly focusing on growing the docker solution (bringing back and reintegrating the DVRUI again) and the specific NAS packages will be lower priority as I retire my old synology (2016)/qnap(2013) NASes. TBH the changes I did in 1.x packages were pretty much there and it's just this dsm7 change requiring attention.

scottywatty
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by scottywatty »

demonrik wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am
scottywatty wrote: My apologies, maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I am not using Plex as DVR as where I live their antenna based system will not work. I am still interested in turning my Synology drive into a DVR and was hoping I could use this to do it. I have not decided what service (IPTV, Plex, something else) I am going to use but all the IPTV options I have seen do not have a DVR option.
Are you saying u want to DVR an IPTV service?
If so, then you're looking in the wrong place.
Silicondust's solution is centered around over the air broadcast (antenna) or cable through tuners. The DVR is geared around recording from those tuners, and those tuners only.
I have seen several links online about HD HomeRun being set up to work with IPTV, I just don't know where to go next after this Synology install as it isn't telling me next steps, just listing a table of parameters.

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

scottywatty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:33 am
demonrik wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am
scottywatty wrote: My apologies, maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I am not using Plex as DVR as where I live their antenna based system will not work. I am still interested in turning my Synology drive into a DVR and was hoping I could use this to do it. I have not decided what service (IPTV, Plex, something else) I am going to use but all the IPTV options I have seen do not have a DVR option.
Are you saying u want to DVR an IPTV service?
If so, then you're looking in the wrong place.
Silicondust's solution is centered around over the air broadcast (antenna) or cable through tuners. The DVR is geared around recording from those tuners, and those tuners only.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

signcarver
Expert
Posts: 9752
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 am
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36
x 22

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by signcarver »

What hdhomerun do you have? What is the source of its programming (ota/cable)? What exactly are you trying to accomplish/record? When you launch the HDHomeRun app do you get guide data in the slice? Have you purchased the dvr subscription (i suggest you check for guide data in app first)?

The purpose of this is to install SD's HDHomeRun DVR recording engine on a nas... the main reason for such is to "survive" a reboot as SD's nas installer would only automatically start on WD nas's. This also let's you do a little bit of setting options in the config file without manually editing a text file. To use it, you need a DVR subscription from SD and use the HDHomeRun App (or other software that supports SD's HDHomeRun DVR) to set up your recording rules. Every hour or so, the record engine checks in with SD to find out what it is supposed to record in the next 4 hours but none of that has to do with iptv.

What are you referring to as iptv as though the tuner can be used as an "iptv" device, particularly with some software, most wouldn't consider the hdhomerun tuner as iptv (they got rid of their subscription "premium tv" offering long ago).

Again, this is only for SD's DVR which can record things the tuner can tune. Yes people may add an HDHomeRun to supplement their additional iptv services, some software may even integrate such but this has nothing to do with such.

toricred6
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 am
x 2

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by toricred6 »

I need to change the password for the account this package uses. I know where to do it for the user, but where else does it need to be changed?

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

toricred6 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:24 pm I need to change the password for the account this package uses. I know where to do it for the user, but where else does it need to be changed?
the 'user' is used to downgrade permissions from root user at boot/run..
It's created at install without any password.
if you need to change, it should just be in the 'User & Group' panel in the Control Panel - it's not needed anywhere else.

Curious why you 'need' to change it?

MNOiSY
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by MNOiSY »

Lol, tease...Creating a DSM 7 folder with nothing in it :D

Can't wait! Thanks for your hard work.

toricred6
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 am
x 2

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by toricred6 »

demonrik wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm
toricred6 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:24 pm I need to change the password for the account this package uses. I know where to do it for the user, but where else does it need to be changed?
the 'user' is used to downgrade permissions from root user at boot/run..
It's created at install without any password.
if you need to change, it should just be in the 'User & Group' panel in the Control Panel - it's not needed anywhere else.

Curious why you 'need' to change it?
I'm tired of the error messages from Security Advisor on DSM 7 every couple of days.

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

toricred6 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:43 am
demonrik wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm
toricred6 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:24 pm I need to change the password for the account this package uses. I know where to do it for the user, but where else does it need to be changed?
the 'user' is used to downgrade permissions from root user at boot/run..
It's created at install without any password.
if you need to change, it should just be in the 'User & Group' panel in the Control Panel - it's not needed anywhere else.

Curious why you 'need' to change it?
I'm tired of the error messages from Security Advisor on DSM 7 every couple of days.
ahhh - I've only just moved over to DSM7 and not installed the SPK yet on it (soon.. nearly have the new NAS / dev server installed)
But on QNAP had something similar - I removed that check ;)

demonrik
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E
x 21

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

demonrik wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am ahhh - I've only just moved over to DSM7 and not installed the SPK yet on it (soon.. nearly have the new NAS / dev server installed)
But on QNAP had something similar - I removed that check ;)
DSM7 set to release next tuesday June 29th

Just a quick note that I am finally working on the SPK for DSM7..
I will have to create both 6 and 7 SPKs which is a pain as each breaks the other :(
So part of the work is trying to make sure I create both in one pass.

Also - while there is a 7.0 developers guide, there are things outside the developers guide I do.. and those are no longer the same, but not documented.
So is taking a little longer than expected.

Post Reply