Downloads & Instructions
jasonl
Silicondust

Mac HDHomeRun DVR Advanced Configuration

Post by jasonl »

Prime

Re: Mac HDHomeRun DVR Advanced Configuration

Post by Prime »

Hey, I am not a coder… or terminal user.
Can you redo this instruction on how to change the recording location to be more explicit in *exactly* what to do? I literally do not know how to do whatever it is you are saying. The instructions are unclear. Where do I insert the drive address in the line? Where do I *find* the drive address? On OS X, user literally never have to do or know any of this! (It is kind of shocking a "choose a location for recordings" option is just not in menu prefs on the OS X app!)
I just want to make all the recordings go to my external hard drive into a folder there. My main drive is completely full!
Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

The path for an external drive will be /Volumes/nameofdrive/. So, if you wanted to record to an HDHomeRun folder and the drive is named MyDrive, you would change the line to:

Code: Select all

RecordPath=/Volumes/MyDrive/HDHomeRun/

jwh

Post by jwh »

I'm using the HDHomeRun on a Mac. In addition to a conflict with Cox's McAfee security firewall, despite adding the app as an exclusion in the McAfee settings. Also, following the above, I edited the conf file to direct recordings to an external hard drive named "DVR" with a designated folder of "HDHomeRun" as follows:

"RecordPath=/Volumes/DVR/HDHomeRun/"

However, in the log file, I see:

"20180212-23:34:04 Recorded: directory /Users/HDHomeRun/ with 0 subdirs and 0 recordings"

Doesn't appear to be using the specified external hard drive!

Thanks,

Jack

GAHomeRunner

Post by GAHomeRunner »

This post helped me yesterday. I run my HDHR-DVR on a Mac as well. (Thanks jasonl !)
I initially tried using the Unix commands and it did not work.
Next I decided to go with editing the configuration (".conf") file. But first I had to get info on the file only to find my local account was not listed to edit (read/write) changes to the file. I unlocked the properties using the lock icon below. I then added my account to the file with read/write privileges. I copied the file HDHomerun.conf file. Opened the file at the copied location. I changed the location from my boot drive to an external 8 Terrabyte USB3 drive.
TO: "RecordPath/Volumes/8TBMedia1/HDHomeRun"

I saved this file. Then copied it back to the original location on within the installed location on the boot drive. (Inside the Users/HDHomeRun directory.) When asked, I replaced the original file.

Lastly, and most importantly, I immediately REBOOTED the computer so the configuration change would go into effect.

I tested the change. I opened the HDHomerun folder on my external 8 TB drive. Then expanded the LIVE TV folder so I could see its contents (currently empty). I finally opened the HDHomeRun app on the Mac. (It could be opened on any device.) A channel began playing. Within seconds, I saw a file appear in the Live TV folder. I exited the app, turning off access to the tuner, and within seconds the file in the Live TV folder was automatically deleted. I tested further by opening a show and saw the oldest episode I didn't plan to keep. I played the recording within HD Homerun via an iOS app. The recording played fine. I then deleted the recording. It was purged from the Mac directory within seconds of this.

I hope this detail helps!

My next issues are audio getting out of sync in Live and recorded shows. My Mac Tower has a lot of RAM and is wired to a gigabit switch. TV devices are also hardwired to the network. My Mac by default is not USB3. I'm going to pop in a USB3 card in hopes faster access to the drive will remedy the audio issue.

After that, I use both HDHomeRun and the Channels apps. Sometimes the Channels app sees OTA stations that the native HDHomerun app does not see. (I like the Channels app guide but not their pricier DVR service.) I can't figure out as both are using the same tuner and broadcast feeds why one would drop signals while the other does not.

I have ripped my DVD's to my hard drive for years and shared them via iTunes to AppleTVs in the network. But I'm also now using FireTV and Roku to be educated about the user experience. I'm using Plex as an alternative to share all content (recorded broadcast shows and movies, ripped movies, and my music and photo collections.) I love cutting the cord and HDHomerun is my champion. I'm evangelizing in all other forums about it!

DebB

Post by DebB »

Hi. When I try to change the recording path I am asked for a password. Which password is being sought here? The Mac password, the NAS password where the external volume is, or the HD Homerun account password?

GAHomeRunner

Post by GAHomeRunner »

Hi DebB. Following are steps to clarify what is needed to 1) edit security on the .conf file and 2) make the needed changes to the .conf file. Lastly, assuming you have recordings on your Mac drive, we’ll copy those recordings to your new recording folder location.

The "conf" file is merely a configuration file that tells the App about your preferred setup. It’s very nice that this is customizable as other personal DVR settings aren’t able to be changed to this extent.
During installation the configuration file is protected by security permissions. Here are step by step specifics that I did not list originally.

Before making changes to the conf file, I selected the hdhomerun.conf file within the Users/HDHomeRun directory and hit get info (command + I).
I made changes to the Sharing & Permissions area at the bottom of the window.
I had to click the lock icon and input my Mac ID & password.
I then added my user account by clicking the + sign at the bottom of the window.
(Select your account in the pop up window.)
Once your account shows in the Sharing & Permissions list, change the default permissions from "Read Only" to "Read/Write" by clicking "Read Only".
Save your changes by closing the Get Info window.

After making changes to the original file, hold the option key down and drag the file to the desktop. (A green plus sign will appear when dragging the file letting you know it is making a copy.) This copy of the file will become your working file that you will edit to make the recording file path changes.
Open the file located on the desktop with Text Edit. (Normally Text Edit will open the conf file when double-clicked.)

The file will look similar to an opened Word Document.
Highlight and edit the text for the “path” where you want to relocate recordings.
Save the edited file (command + s or File menu/Save.)

Now, replace the original file with the edited one.
Hold the option key and drag the edited file to the original file location.
When asked, replace the original HDHomeRun.conf file.

I assume you have recordings on your Mac.
We are going to copy those recordings to your new recording location.
You can drag the HDHomeRun folder form the internal Mac drive to your external or NAS drive.
That way earlier recordings will be accessible for viewing in the HDHomeRun app. And new recordings will be added to your library of recordings.

In my new location, I deleted earlier .log files, hdhomrun.conf, hdhomerun_record, and uninstall. Those run from the main Mac drive.

Once all the above is done, it's important to Restart the Mac so the changes take place.
To confirm the changes made, you can open the new folder path location for the HDHomeRun directory.
Open the LIVE folder within it. Watch that folder as you tune to a station within the HDHomeRun viewing app.
You should see a file appear.
And you can close the HDHR app and the live file will disappear afterwards.

The final maneuver is to regain space on your internal Mac drive. Look in the original HDHR directory. Purge folders with the names of Movies as well as those for your recorded TV Shows.

Click the name of the first folder to be deleted.
Hold the shift key to select the last folder to delete.
Put the items in the Trash by holding the Command key while pressing the delete key.
You can open the trash by clicking it’s icon to verify there is nothing there you need.
Be sure to EMPTY the trash to regain disk space.

I hope these details help you enjoy your HDHomeRun even more!

smicale

Post by smicale »

So I managed to go through this article and change my location of where my recordings are saved to. I have a Buffalo TerraStation NAS device that sits on my network and I just mount shares on it from my Mac. The problem here is I don't always have my MacBook at home with me and if I take it off the network then when my other devices go to launch the HDHomeRun app it wigs out because it must be checking my MacBook for the hdhomerun.conf file so the other devices know where to save recordings and if I remember correctly when the other devices launch and my laptop is not found on the network I think they get that error saying something like a protocol error and no channels will play. Since I don't have a dedicated device always sitting on my network is there anyway to program into the firmware a static address and share of where the recordings should go. I am open to suggestions since I do not have one of the recommended NAS servers.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If your intention is to record to the terastation, you should be running the engine on it... you will have to go through hoops to enable ssh for setup though. (There also may be a couple of models without enough RAM but I know when the dvr was first released, it worked on every cheap one I could find).

smicale

Post by smicale »

My Terra Station is very old. Probably7-8 yrs. It does not allow me to load software on it that I know of. Is there another workaround for this?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

what exact model... usually one needs to use acp commander or something like that to enable ssh, then you have "full control".

smicale

Post by smicale »

This is what it shows in the web interface. I don't see SSH anywhere in here to configure it.

Buffalo Link Station
Model Name
LS-QL F/W 1.11

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

As I said, one would use acp commander to try and enable it (make sure you know what you are getting in to as it is possible to brick the nas). I believe this is one of the few I actually got working that only had 128MB ram but officially should have a minimum of 256MB ram.

Also though recording to a share may seem to work, eventually you will most likely have problems so it is unsupported.

smicale

Post by smicale »

If it by chance Bricks it, is my data lost or can I pull the drives out and still get access to it? Also If I can get this utility to work and Enable SSH what else will need to be done to get this working?

David Urban

Post by David Urban »

I had a lot to difficulties with the DVR. It was online but would get communication error. Thought it was between the Homerun and the program. It turned out that it was the DVR was set up correctly to go to my external drive but I had not set the folder to have read write access for all the users. it was failing to write to the folder. Once I changed the permissions on the external drive folder all worked.