QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
alphatech

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by alphatech »

Thanks for creating this package for up. I would like to start by saying that I do not have too much experience with Linux so please be patient with me with this. I downloaded the QPKG from your google drive and it installed successfully. When I click on the HDHomerun icon, I get this message, Error
Page not found or the web server is currently unavailable. Please contact the website administrator for help.
I'm using a different port than the standard, port 8585. Is this maybe the issue?

Thanks for your help.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

alphatech wrote:Thanks for creating this package for up. I would like to start by saying that I do not have too much experience with Linux so please be patient with me with this. I downloaded the QPKG from your google drive and it installed successfully. When I click on the HDHomerun icon, I get this message, Error
Page not found or the web server is currently unavailable. Please contact the website administrator for help.
I'm using a different port than the standard, port 8585. Is this maybe the issue?

Thanks for your help.
Make sure you have the web server enabled in the Control Panel -> Applications
it shouldn't matter once this is setup appropriately.
note - I run my web server on a port >32k so as not to interfere with something else I run at on port 80 or 8080

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Minor update - 0.5.4
Added to the list of HDHR devices the firmware it's on.. so you can quickly see if you need to update.

Package HDHomeRunDVR_0.5.4.qpkg includes dvr engine 20160328atest2 available as ever on my googledrive
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

mad_dog97

Post by mad_dog97 »

demonrik - Thanks for putting this together and making it available!

One question that's somewhat related. If you'd rather me make it another topic just let me know, but I thought the audiences may be similar.
- Anyone using a Harmony universal remote with their QNAP? I'm running a QNAP 251+ which has the HDStation running Kodi (directly connected to TV via HDMI). The included remote that comes is a basic remote (up, down, left, right, back, etc) and doesn't include the number buttons (1,2,3,etc). I've got the QNAP set up with my Harmony Elite remote, but trying to see if there's a way to get the number buttons to show up and work to change HDHomerun channels.

Anyone have any thoughts?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

mad_dog97 wrote:demonrik - Thanks for putting this together and making it available!
you're welcom.
One question that's somewhat related. If you'd rather me make it another topic just let me know, but I thought the audiences may be similar.
- Anyone using a Harmony universal remote with their QNAP? I'm running a QNAP 251+ which has the HDStation running Kodi (directly connected to TV via HDMI). The included remote that comes is a basic remote (up, down, left, right, back, etc) and doesn't include the number buttons (1,2,3,etc). I've got the QNAP set up with my Harmony Elite remote, but trying to see if there's a way to get the number buttons to show up and work to change HDHomerun channels.

I honestly don't use the HD station stuff on my qnap other than to install the QuickSync Video enabled ffmpeg for transcoding.
You might be better served by asking over on the QNAP forums.

thevoiceover

Post by thevoiceover »

mad_dog97 wrote: One question that's somewhat related. If you'd rather me make it another topic just let me know, but I thought the audiences may be similar.

Have you ever tried using a flirc and adding the flirc profile for media center from MyHarmony? I forgot what it is called, but only two are available for flirc. I LOVE my flirc and have it setup to do numerous things with Harmony and my QNAP. Better keep this on subject though, PM me or direct me somewhere else for other questions if you need.

poit57

Post by poit57 »

I've installed the 0.5.4 package in the QNAP App Center and manually stopped the service installed through HDHomeRun Setup, but I'm having issues. When I open my Windows 10 app, I can see my scheduled tasks, but the files copied to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR/ folder are not showing up in the Recorded tab. New scheduled recordings are not writing to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR folder, nor are any new log files created.

When I open up the HDHomeRunDVR package from the QNAP App Center, there appear to be some problems. At the top of the window, it shows Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version.

Under DVR Controls/Configuration, it says:

Code: Select all

ERROR: Can't Parse Config File: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf Does Not Exist
The Discovered Logfiles area is blank. The big area in the middle of the window is blank. The Discovered HDHRs area seems to be the only thing that is working correctly as it has identified my HDHR Prime's ID, the number of tuners, the firmware version, and the number of channels. The bottom of the window shows "Unable to discover DVR status.

Outside of this project, is there an easy way to restart the DVR engine after a power outage on my QNAP? So far, the only way I've been able to restart the engine is to go through the NAS install from HDHomeRun Setup every time I have lost power.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

poit57 wrote:I've installed the 0.5.4 package in the QNAP App Center and manually stopped the service installed through HDHomeRun Setup, but I'm having issues.
How did you manually stop the service? Through the app center or at ssh command line?
When I open my Windows 10 app, I can see my scheduled tasks, but the files copied to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR/ folder are not showing up in the Recorded tab. New scheduled recordings are not writing to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR folder, nor are any new log files created.
That implies that something went wrong with the installation :(
When I open up the HDHomeRunDVR package from the QNAP App Center, there appear to be some problems. At the top of the window, it shows Record Engine Version: Unable to discover DVR version.
That's even more concerning.
The QPKG installs everything into /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
The version is discovered by simply quering the record engine binary.. So this suggests that you're missing that file!
But you have the UI.. so the install did something...
Under DVR Controls/Configuration, it says:

ERROR: Can't Parse Config File: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf Does Not Exist
Yeah - this is bad... you absolutely need this file to work. the fact that it's not there is implying something went wrong when installing the QPKG.
I have a suspicion.. but need your help.

Can we check a few things..
Which QNAP are you using, and version of QTS?
Lets make sure we're installing in the right place. It should be automated but you never know.
Please run the following from an ssh terminal on the QNAP and let me know the response

/sbin/getcfg HDHomeRunDVR Install_Path -f /etc/config/qpkg.conf
That should provide a folder
e.g.

/share/MD0_ROOT/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
or

/share/HDA_ROOT/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
or

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
It will depend on the QNAP and QTS..
I thought that latest QTS moved all to CACHEDEV1 - but I suspect that was a bad assumption now.
Once I know the folder I can make a quick fix, or you can.
Outside of this project, is there an easy way to restart the DVR engine after a power outage on my QNAP? So far, the only way I've been able to restart the engine is to go through the NAS install from HDHomeRun Setup every time I have lost power.
easiest is to ssh to your QNAP and cd to the directory that the record engine is in.. If it's the default SD install that should be /share/HDHomeRun
Then simply execute

hdhomerun_record --conf <configfile> start
You may need to change the name of the hdhomerun_record and provide the name of your configfile (should be in the same directory)

cetheridge30

Post by cetheridge30 »

poit57 wrote:I've installed the 0.5.4 package in the QNAP App Center and manually stopped the service installed through HDHomeRun Setup, but I'm having issues.
Why would you stop the service after you installed it?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

cetheridge30 wrote:
Why would you stop the service after you installed it?
there is an ownership issue from installing (and start from reboot) and being able to control the engine from the UI.
recommendation is to stop the service via command line and start with the UI.

Unfortunately I just don't have an easy way for me to run the record engine as a particular owner because of a combination of what SD do with the binary and QNAP permissions.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

poit57 wrote:I've installed the 0.5.4 package in the QNAP App Center and manually stopped the service installed through HDHomeRun Setup, but I'm having issues. When I open my Windows 10 app, I can see my scheduled tasks, but the files copied to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR/ folder are not showing up in the Recorded tab. New scheduled recordings are not writing to the /Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR folder, nor are any new log files created.
I have a test build for you to try.
My suspicion is that your system isn't placing the installed files in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA but to some other drive.

BUT the UI was expecting it in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
So I've changed the installation to update the path to whatever your qnap is using..

This is working for me when I install - but I don't have a QNAP with a different structure, so it could be a false positive..
Can you please try it out?
is version 0.5.5

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Finally got to test 0.5.5 this morning and found a critical bug :(
so have removed from the google drive.

New 0.5.5a uploaded which fixes this bug, and also includes the fix for the 1 or 2 drive QNAPs that use a different place to store the installed packages.

Also
I'm going to clean up my google drive at the end of this month.
All versions upto 0.5.4 will be removed
So if you want old versions for some reason - then grab now.

poit57

Post by poit57 »

demonrik wrote:How did you manually stop the service? Through the app center or at ssh command line?
I stopped the service from SSH command line.
Model TS-212P running QTS 4.2
Lets make sure we're installing in the right place. It should be automated but you never know.

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
I uninstalled the 0.5.4a package and installed the 0.5.5a package, and it seems to have resolved the issues I was previously having. After changing my RecordPath to /share/HDHomeRun where I already had a lot of recordings stored, it found my log files, and the Windows 10 app finds the recordings in my recording list. New recordings are also storing successfully in that folder as expected.

Is this normal, or is it an issue with the speed/processing power of my NAS model? After restarting the NAS and the web interface becomes accessible again, it seems to take about 5 minutes before the record engine becomes detectable from the Windows 10 HDHR View app. The first few attempts at opening the View app results in only live TV being available.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

poit57 wrote:
demonrik wrote:How did you manually stop the service? Through the app center or at ssh command line?
I stopped the service from SSH command line.
Model TS-212P running QTS 4.2

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
I uninstalled the 0.5.4a package and installed the 0.5.5a package, and it seems to have resolved the issues I was previously having. After changing my RecordPath to /share/HDHomeRun where I already had a lot of recordings stored, it found my log files, and the Windows 10 app finds the recordings in my recording list. New recordings are also storing successfully in that folder as expected.

Is this normal, or is it an issue with the speed/processing power of my NAS model? After restarting the NAS and the web interface becomes accessible again, it seems to take about 5 minutes before the record engine becomes detectable from the Windows 10 HDHR View app. The first few attempts at opening the View app results in only live TV being available.
It depends on how many other things the NAS must start on boot.
Mine also takes a few mins before everything is functional.

Anyway, glad it worked :)