QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm What do you do if you don't have a CONF file and can't create one?
The installer creates one if none is detected
If it's not creating one then you have a permissions problem occurring and would need more info to help solve

Artemis Entreri

Post by Artemis Entreri »

demonrik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm What do you do if you don't have a CONF file and can't create one?
If it's not creating one then you have a permissions problem occurring and would need more info to help solve
I've gone through this post and I believe I have the permissions set correctly. For example, if I stop the app, delete the record engine file, and restart the app the record engine is replaced. It doesn't do that with the config file.

The web interface for the HDHomeRun DVR manager also doesn't work on the NAS. I get an error "192.168.1.169 refused to connect, but I can access it from a web page in Chrome from http://192.168.1.169/HDHomeRunDVR/#. There, it shows the config file location in a file directory that doesn't even exist. I tried recreating it manually, but when I edit the file and try to save it through the manager in Chrome nothing happens.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm
I've gone through this post and I believe I have the permissions set correctly. For example, if I stop the app, delete the record engine file, and restart the app the record engine is replaced. It doesn't do that with the config file.

The web interface for the HDHomeRun DVR manager also doesn't work on the NAS. I get an error "192.168.1.169 refused to connect, but I can access it from a web page in Chrome from http://192.168.1.169/HDHomeRunDVR/#. There, it shows the config file location in a file directory that doesn't even exist. I tried recreating it manually, but when I edit the file and try to save it through the manager in Chrome nothing happens.
I think there is some confusion. The QPKG install is different from the SD installer, you won't have a CONF file in the RecordPath.
I bet the location it shows is one of either

Code: Select all

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
or

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
or something similar.

This is correct location for the config file. to run it has to be somewhere that is system accessible to start with.
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA or /share/MD0_DATA is the mount for your drive array.
.qpkg is where the app center places apps

Is there any reason you think something is wrong other than you can't put the file to somewhere else?

the refuse to connect from the QNAP desktop is a known issue and the workaround is exactly what you did in your browser
If on old QNAP desktop - checkout viewtopic.php?p=186338#p186338
on latest versions of QTS it's easier, I can't remember which setting - one of these 2 works
  1. open Control Panel -> System -> General Settings -> System Administration
    and make sure 'Do not allow QTS embedding in iFrames' is NOT checked.
  2. Also check Control Panel -> Applications -> Web Server -> Web Server
    and make sure 'Do not allow Web Server embedding in iFrames' is NOT checked
I think #2 is the right one.

Artemis Entreri

demonrik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm

I think there is some confusion. The QPKG install is different from the SD installer, you won't have a CONF file in the RecordPath.
I bet the location it shows is one of either

or

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
or something similar.

This is correct location for the config file. to run it has to be somewhere that is system accessible to start with.
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA or /share/MD0_DATA is the mount for your drive array.
.qpkg is where the app center places apps

Is there any reason you think something is wrong other than you can't put the file to somewhere else?

the refuse to connect from the QNAP desktop is a known issue and the workaround is exactly what you did in your browser
If on old QNAP desktop - checkout viewtopic.php?p=186338#p186338
on latest versions of QTS it's easier, I can't remember which setting - one of these 2 works
  1. open Control Panel -> System -> General Settings -> System Administration
    and make sure 'Do not allow QTS embedding in iFrames' is NOT checked.
  2. Also check Control Panel -> Applications -> Web Server -> Web Server
    and make sure 'Do not allow Web Server embedding in iFrames' is NOT checked
I think #2 is the right one.
I don't have a config file in the record directory. I don't have a config file period. The HDHomeRunDVR folder doesn't exist, even though the web UI indicates it does. the UI says this:

I deleted that folder after the install. I recall earlier in this post you said that was ok. I might have misread that though. In any event, when the directory did exist there was no config file in it.

Making change #2 allowed the web UI to work from inside the QNAP environment. Thanks.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:42 pm I don't have a config file in the record directory. I don't have a config file period. The HDHomeRunDVR folder doesn't exist, even though the web UI indicates it does. the UI says this:

I deleted that folder after the install. I recall earlier in this post you said that was ok. I might have misread that though. In any event, when the directory did exist there was no config file in it.
trust me - you didn't delete it otherwise nothing would work ;)
what you deleted was one of (all are actually the same thing)
/HDHomeRunDVR
/share/HDHomeRunDVR
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR

this is where the recordings and the engine binary are downloaded to.

When you install the package the QTS system creates a folder in it's package folder at /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg
you shouldn't delete anything in .qpkg - only through the App Center.
you can't access this folder from File Station only through an SSH session.
Making change #2 allowed the web UI to work from inside the QNAP environment. Thanks.
Cool - glad that worked for you. I should update the workaround page with it.

Artemis Entreri

demonrik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:55 pm
Artemis Entreri wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:42 pm I don't have a config file in the record directory. I don't have a config file period. The HDHomeRunDVR folder doesn't exist, even though the web UI indicates it does. the UI says this:

trust me - you didn't delete it otherwise nothing would work ;)
what you deleted was one of (all are actually the same thing)
/HDHomeRunDVR
/share/HDHomeRunDVR
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR

this is where the recordings and the engine binary are downloaded to.

When you install the package the QTS system creates a folder in it's package folder at /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg
you shouldn't delete anything in .qpkg - only through the App Center.
you can't access this folder from File Station only through an SSH session.
Cool - glad that worked for you. I should update the workaround page with it.
This is the folder I deleted: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR

I guess this folder isn't viewable from explorer either?:/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg

If that's the case then I guess there's nothing else I need to do? I assumed the folder and file were visible. I had an old folder called "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRun" that did have that file in it. I'd show you a screenshot but I don't know how to embed one.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Artemis Entreri wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 am

I guess this folder isn't viewable from explorer either?:/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg

If that's the case then I guess there's nothing else I need to do? I assumed the folder and file were visible. I had an old folder called "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRun" that did have that file in it. I'd show you a screenshot but I don't know how to embed one.
Yes.. you won't see the .qpkg folder. On Linux file systems (which the qnap is based on) the leading . signifies a hidden folder.
No need to post screenshot. I believe you!
When u run the engine without a --conf parameter it creates one for u in the folder it's in. My qpkg always specifies a conf file, SDs installer does not, or u might have accidently tried to run the engine.

Anyway.. seems like all is running ok for u. Enjoy.

Artemis Entreri

demonrik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:25 am
Artemis Entreri wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 am

Yes.. you won't see the .qpkg folder. On Linux file systems (which the qnap is based on) the leading . signifies a hidden folder.
No need to post screenshot. I believe you!
When u run the engine without a --conf parameter it creates one for u in the folder it's in. My qpkg always specifies a conf file, SDs installer does not, or u might have accidently tried to run the engine.

Anyway.. seems like all is running ok for u. Enjoy.
Yes, seems to be running ok now. Thanks for the help.

vandey

Post by vandey »

Quick question on the install... My QNAP NAS is pretty old: TS-469L running QTS 4.3.4

Do both versions of the application work for my version of QTS? I currently have v 0.10.7 was just curious if I could upgrade to v 1.0.4? Also I've tried to uninstall v 0.10.7 and it wont uninstall, also can't seem to stop the application in the QNAP control panel. When I try to install v 1.0.4 it just seems like it hangs, I leave the windows open for hours and nothing happens. Maybe I'm doing something wrong I dont know?

Also might seem like a dumb question when SD releases new versions of the record engine can I upgrade the firmware or do I have to wait for a new version of the qpkg to do that? If so how do I go about upgrading the firmware version?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

vandey wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:27 pm Quick question on the install... My QNAP NAS is pretty old: TS-469L running QTS 4.3.4

Do both versions of the application work for my version of QTS? I currently have v 0.10.7 was just curious if I could upgrade to v 1.0.4? Also I've tried to uninstall v 0.10.7 and it wont uninstall, also can't seem to stop the application in the QNAP control panel. When I try to install v 1.0.4 it just seems like it hangs, I leave the windows open for hours and nothing happens. Maybe I'm doing something wrong I dont know?

Also might seem like a dumb question when SD releases new versions of the record engine can I upgrade the firmware or do I have to wait for a new version of the qpkg to do that? If so how do I go about upgrading the firmware version?
lots of Qs.
yes - 1.x will work on your QNAP and QTS
You should be able to just upgrade - however, if you're having uninstall issues with 0.10.7 then you will have problems with upgrade.. so we should fix that first - back to that in a sec.
And your last Q.. anything prior to 1.x requires a new qpkg to get the latest record engine. firmware for tuners, scribe, servio is managed separately. For qpkg 1.0.0 and upwards you simply stop the app and start again and it gets the latest, however on some systems (for example docker container) it seems both the stable and beta versions download and marked with same data/time so it doesn't update to the beta (like yesterdays release).

So lets fix the uninstall.
When you say it doesn't uninstall, what do you mean?
after you try is it still indicating is installed in app center?
Do you still see in my.hdhomerun.com?

vandey

Post by vandey »

demonrik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:21 pm
vandey wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:27 pm Quick question on the install... My QNAP NAS is pretty old: TS-469L running QTS 4.3.4

lots of Qs.
yes - 1.x will work on your QNAP and QTS
You should be able to just upgrade - however, if you're having uninstall issues with 0.10.7 then you will have problems with upgrade.. so we should fix that first - back to that in a sec.
And your last Q.. anything prior to 1.x requires a new qpkg to get the latest record engine. firmware for tuners, scribe, servio is managed separately. For qpkg 1.0.0 and upwards you simply stop the app and start again and it gets the latest, however on some systems (for example docker container) it seems both the stable and beta versions download and marked with same data/time so it doesn't update to the beta (like yesterdays release).

So lets fix the uninstall.
When you say it doesn't uninstall, what do you mean?
after you try is it still indicating is installed in app center?
Do you still see in my.hdhomerun.com?
Whenever I try to Uninstall from app center it looks like it worked but it still shows in app center. Also I've tried to stop the app but that doesn't seem to work either. I accidentally installed the latest firmware from a PC on the HDHR Prime, so it no long shows the DVR on my.hdhomerun.com.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

vandey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:42 am Whenever I try to Uninstall from app center it looks like it worked but it still shows in app center. Also I've tried to stop the app but that doesn't seem to work either. I accidentally installed the latest firmware from a PC on the HDHR Prime, so it no long shows the DVR on my.hdhomerun.com.
I'm assuming that you are logged in as an administrator when uninstalling/stopping.
if it's on the app center then uninstall didn't complete properly and thus you could have a broken qnap config
But if you can't see on my.hdhomrun.com then the engine is not likely running, so it's partially removed

the best way to check what is going is with an ssh session to the NAS

we can quickly verify of the record engine is running

ps -ef | grep hdhomerun 
you should get an empty response.
If you didn't then the engine is still installed and running.
Try stopping with

qpkg_service stop HDHomeRunDVR
Next lets check for the installation

ls -l /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/
if you see HDHomeRunDVR then it's still installed

We can try removing the QPKG manually with

qpkg_cli -R HDHomeRunDVR
confirm by checking for the installation folder and engine running as earlier

Before installing the new package - make sure you don't have a /share/HDHomeRunDVR
If you do - rename it to something else temporarily - we can move back recordings later
Now install with app center

vandey

Post by vandey »

demonrik wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:44 pm I'm assuming that you are logged in as an administrator when uninstalling/stopping.
if it's on the app center then uninstall didn't complete properly and thus you could have a broken qnap config
But if you can't see on my.hdhomrun.com then the engine is not likely running, so it's partially removed

the best way to check what is going is with an ssh session to the NAS

we can quickly verify of the record engine is running

ps -ef | grep hdhomerun 
you should get an empty response.
If you didn't then the engine is still installed and running.
Try stopping with

qpkg_service stop HDHomeRunDVR
Next lets check for the installation

ls -l /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/
if you see HDHomeRunDVR then it's still installed

We can try removing the QPKG manually with

qpkg_cli -R HDHomeRunDVR
confirm by checking for the installation folder and engine running as earlier

Before installing the new package - make sure you don't have a /share/HDHomeRunDVR
If you do - rename it to something else temporarily - we can move back recordings later
Now install with app center
Yes I login as admin, I did the following but when I try to do the uninstallation I get this error message.

[~] # qpkg_cli -R HDHomeRunDVR
connect error, code = 3
can't create socket, code = -1
[CLI] recv error, code = -1
EDIT: I've tried to find out what causes this error but can't seem to find anything do I have a setting disabled that needs to be renabled? Or should I just reset my NAS? I dont have much installed on it so I could reset the thing without too much trouble.

vandey

Post by vandey »

I just ended up reinitializing my NAS... seems I was having more problems than I thought with it. Luckily I don't have tons of data on it, so it was easy to copy the data off and just start clean. I couldn't install any apps from the app store. After reinitializing my NAS I was able to get V 1.0.4 installed.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

vandey wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:35 am I just ended up reinitializing my NAS... seems I was having more problems than I thought with it. Luckily I don't have tons of data on it, so it was easy to copy the data off and just start clean. I couldn't install any apps from the app store. After reinitializing my NAS I was able to get V 1.0.4 installed.
Apologies, meant to get back to you on this, but real work distracting me
Clearly you had something badly gone wrong on the NAS - was going to advise reaching out to QNAP support.
re-init is a sledgehammer, but glad it worked out for you.