ATSC 3.0 sub channel streaming

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
emveepee

ATSC 3.0 sub channel streaming

Post by emveepee »

Is there any documentation on the rules allowing for streaming multiple streams from an ATSC channel? The Kickstarter page said "We plan to enable multi-channel support so you can watch up to 4 ATSC 3.0 sub-channels across the 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners, all in high definition" and this recent post implies that it is working now viewtopic.php?p=372366#p372366 (assuming I change the channels > 100)

Also how does tuner enumeration work on the HDHR5-4K? Are tuners 0,1 traditional tuners and 2,3 ATSC 3.0 tuners (potentially being accessed via auto to get sub channels)?

Finally is it feasible to have 2 traditional HD channels and 4 ATSC3.0 streams active at one time assuming 100 Mb isn't an issue?

Martin

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: ATSC 3.0 sub channel streaming

Post by signcarver »

That post was not implying such was working now and as far as I know it isn't but was to convey that what was being asked about by the op (KS quote) was different than the multirecord feature of Next that others were saying such being done by software and that ATSC 3 is a different beast to use it's multirecord feature as technically atsc3 isn't a ts like atsc 1. With a dev unit one could get streams of the full mux in ways to make it possible for a similar software based feature but that wasn't what was being talked about by the KS feature and thus such would be transparent from the user/software using such (future) feature.

They had also stated when such became available there still would be 4 streams total (based on the TunerCount of device).

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

Thanks I'd really prefer to get an official answer, since I find speculative answers very confusing. While ATSC 3.0 may be not be delivered as transport stream my question relates to how developers are expected to access multiple sub-channels (maybe http, rtp or BDA) since the HDHR5-4K is still a network device.

Martin

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It is more complicated with multiple PLPs. Some physical channels have multiple PLPs that can be tuned at the same time. Some physical channels have multiple PLPs that must be tuned at the same time to get the second one. Some physical channels have multiple PLPs that can't be tuned at the same time. And you can have any mix of these situations on the same physical channel when there are more than 2 PLPs.

No problem tuning any one virtual channel as we can add PLPs knowing they will work together.

If that combination of PLPs has another virtual channel we can make that work.

Nick

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

So for the example that you have provided with ch35p0p1 is there a URL on a standard device that maps the physical channel to the PLP string that needs to be appended that a application can access? Can any rule be applied to p0p1 to map this to what we know as virtual channels today?

Martin