HDHomeRun RECORD - improve live stream response?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

HDHomeRun RECORD - improve live stream response?

Post by djp952 »

I have been doing some performance testing/optimization, and I wanted to inquire if SD is aware of and/or has any plans to improve the response time of the RECORD engine when starting/streaming a live channel from the tuner(s)? Using a WD EX4100 device as the RECORD host, I'm detecting around 500ms as the time required to send a request to stream a "live" channel and begin receiving the payload. Starting previously recorded content does not appear to suffer from the same delay.

I would love to see RECORD respond to live streaming requests more quickly than it does today, with the understanding that a tuner device needs to be selected and opened, and that live streams need to be written to disk as well. 1/2 of a second seems to be excessive, though, to make this all happen as tuners can gear up notably more quickly than that. Perhaps a very fast "tee" operation that favors the requester over the on-disk cache?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun RECORD - improve live stream response?

Post by nickk »

Hi,

It typically takes between 500ms and 1000ms for a tuner to lock to the requested ATSC channel and receive critical information.

With live TV the thing to compare is the response time going directly to the tuner vs via the DVR.

Nick

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: HDHomeRun RECORD - improve live stream response?

Post by djp952 »

Thanks for the info; everything seems to align with the provided expectations here.