Device authorization grace period

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Device authorization grace period

Post by djp952 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm

I am trying to do some optimizations to limit the amount of discovery-related queries/broadcasts that need to be sent to keep track of the tuner Device Authorization string(s). Users aren't typically going to be adding/removing tuners on a regular basis (well, maybe except for me - lol), so the only legitimate reason I have for frequently gathering this data is to refresh the Device Authorization string(s).

I was wondering if there is a definitive grace period on these strings, as in an amount of time that the backend will accept an otherwise expired authorization string as valid. Knowing this would allow me to tone down the discovery requests to default to perhaps 75% of that threshold, and also prevent the user from increasing the interval beyond that.

Thank you as always for your time and support!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Device authorization grace period

Post by nickk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 pm

The DeviceAuth changes every sync (roughly every 8 hours or when a scan completes) and is good for 24h.

DeviceAuth is included in the discovery response so best just to run discover every couple of hours and pick it up from discover.

Nick

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Device authorization grace period

Post by djp952 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:53 pm

nickk wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 pm
The DeviceAuth changes every sync (roughly every 8 hours or when a scan completes) and is good for 24h.

DeviceAuth is included in the discovery response so best just to run discover every couple of hours and pick it up from discover.

Nick
Excellent - thank you sir!