DRM Windows 10 app C# embed

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
stealthrt

DRM Windows 10 app C# embed

Postby stealthrt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:07 am

Hey all I have a request. Is it possible to apply an API to HDHomeRun App for Windows 10 https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH58VWK. I know that only WMC is the only program that is allowed to play DRM channels but I have not been able to get the video working within my app as I would like it to.

I am wanting to grab the video area and embed it into my own C# dashboard for my personal use on my TV's.

If the API is a no-go then a parameter for starting the app with only video and numbers support in order to turn to channels. So no guide or anything along those lines.

It would be great for this feature so that I can finish up my C# program in order to play DRM stream channels.

signcarver
Expert

Re: DRM Windows 10 app C# embed

Postby signcarver » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am

Your first solution (embedding) most likely would not be possible and still provide the required end to end encryption. For it, I suggest beginning by approaching DTLA with your $10K evaluation fee (and be prepared for the costs to skyrocket from there, including various liability insurance).

It may be possible at some future date that a playTo function may be supported to allow your second option but would most likely require an extensive/expensive new project to allow a good implementation that allows discovering of clients, a way to lock a client (how would you like it if you were in the middle of watching something and someone else in the house instigated a playTo your screen), resizing of screen and position, control of captions, etc.)

Also I am not sure why you mentioned WMC as such wouldn't factor in to this.

stealthrt

Postby stealthrt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

Not really sure what you are talking about, signcarver.

What I was getting at is that each of my 3 TV's at home run on a PC and have my C# dashboard I designed. If I want to watch Live TV then I have to use WMC which doesn't play nicely with its own API to do what I am looking to accomplish.

So the issue you stated with having someone playTo, resize, etc would not even be an issue since each tv has its own PC and i'm using the Prime that has 3 streams.

I appreciate your reply but I think you are looking at what I asked in the incorrect way.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 am

My point is to enable such a feature, the way the apps work, would open such up for anyone to issue such a request... The reason I see for offering such is to put the UI on a tablet/phone remote and not have a thing on the screen in terms of UI. Making it this way serves all for any "skin" they come up with whether on the same pc or not. If the UI isn't remote, I don't see the point as one can already control what that single PC is doing and for the app to control what video is playing, you would need that playTo to tell the (hdhomerun) app window what to play.

Currently such features are not available so if one were to start a "new" project to make such available they would have to think of many things that other apps would need to control but yes the key core function would be to listen (handle) an external request to play something specific. If that is not the function you are looking for explain exactly what you are truing to do.

Any PC that can run WMC that supports DRM can't run the HDHomeRun APP that can support DRM so that is why I am questioning why you are bringing WMC into this.

stealthrt

Postby stealthrt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm

They've (https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=97 and https://windows10mediacenter.com) made WMC compatible with Windows 10 so that's what I've been working with trying to get working with my C# program.

So my UI. I have Movies, TV Shows, TV Guide and Live TV. The latter being what I am currently needing to integrate with in my c# app. When I use my remote to select Live TV I would like it to load up the video only (that the hdhomerun app has without the side guide and overlay controls over the video) full screen and allow me to use the remote to, say, change to channel 128. My program would see I typed 128 and therefore send it to the hdhomerun video window and have it change to that channel. Nothing too crazy or anything - just making the most of my own custom C# program and IoT things around the house.

I don't see an issue with adding a parameter to start the HDomerun app to allow it to run headless video only with the option to send channel requests to it in order to change the channel from some other source other than your mouse and keyboard currently.

stealthrt

Postby stealthrt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:12 pm

So i take it thats where we are leaving this discussion at?

wellthatsnotgood

Postby wellthatsnotgood » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

So i take it thats where we are leaving this discussion at?
I'm guessing SD does not want to provide any support for using their app in this way. As long as you need DRM support, probably the only thing you can do would be to have your app launch WMC or the HDHomeRun app and let that app take over control of the display and remote. Then when you're done watching exit that program and have your app take back control. (This is what I used to do with XMBC/Kodi. I had a little plugin that showed a WMC icon in XBMC and when clicked launched WMC into full screen).

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Ultimately there may be some sort of option for others to create custom UIs to use with the app, but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

stealthrt

Postby stealthrt » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm

That’s quite a shame. I was expecting better from this company.

The hard way it is then.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am

[removed by moderator]

TPeterson

Postby TPeterson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Ultimately there may be some sort of option for others to create custom UIs to use with the app, but it's not likely to happen any time soon.
Jason, forgetting the custom UI bit, is there a way to launch the Win10 HDHR app with a Guide Number parameter? The Cliff Watson EPG program used to do that with your pre-Win10 viewer, but there is no apparent command-line entry process to our developers.

stealthrt

Postby stealthrt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

TPeterson

Postby TPeterson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 pm

^ Bump. I'm concerned that my question got buried by whatever OP replied that the moderator didn't like. Is there an API to launch the Win10 app with a channel-setting parameter from a command line?

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Try launching the program normally via command line (do a google search for launching uwp app from command line) and then use a .vbs file to send the keys to change channels. ie: 5 0 5 <enter>

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Is there an API to launch the Win10 app with a channel-setting parameter from a command line?
At this time the only documented (and likely to be maintained) APIs are documented on github and as I recall are mostly for the dvr/scheduling. There are certainly some undocumented APIs for various pieces of the system(s), although nothing I am aware of for your specific request, but until they are formally announced I would never write code depending on them that is intended to be production for others. Interfacing as a keyboard (as techpro2004 suggests) is as likely as not the most stable solution right today. One can always hope that the rumored new application UI might provide more APIs, but no one who knows for sure is talking.

Return to “Development Support”