Forum Improvements?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
DRMsucks

Re: Forum Improvements?

Post by DRMsucks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 am

Sammy2 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 am
Not sure if this is the best place but there really is no sub forum for this. Admin move if necessary.

I haven't used this forum much in the past 7 years as my Primes just hummed along doing their thing but now, with setting up a couple of Quatros to do OTA recordings and testing out PremiumTV I've come to realize that this forum is lacking in basic functionality. I few things it really needs:

Ability to upload photos to a server. I don't use any photo servers and now find my self posting in other photos to host photos to post here.

Dynamic Quoting where you can click on a post in a thread and it takes you to the post that is quoted so you can read posts in the area of that one to get better background. Not everyone reads threads from top to bottom and this will allow better understanding of the content without having to start a new thread or ask a question possibly already answered in the thread itself

A better editor. This editor is from forums of the ancient days, slightly better than being on a list server.

Other things I've probably not thought of yet that exist in more modern forums.

I know there's a lot to do at SiliconDust but an update to the forum software (not a la Plex though) is in order and not that hard to do.

Thanks for hearing me out.
I'm about 99.9% sure the forum code behind this is something called "SMF" or "Simple Machines Forum". Take a look at their page and that should tell you what's feasible as far as changes here.
[link removed by moderator]

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 am

DRMsucks wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 am
I'm about 99.9% sure the forum code behind this is something called "SMF" or "Simple Machines Forum".
Except, of course, if one reads to the last lines of the forum pages, it says "Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited".

DRMsucks

Post by DRMsucks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 am

gtb wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 am
DRMsucks wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 am
I'm about 99.9% sure the forum code behind this is something called "SMF" or "Simple Machines Forum".
Except, of course, if one reads to the last lines of the forum pages, it says "Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited".
Well they sure as hell skinned it like SMF. I've used both. This looks nothing like PHPBB.