Forum Improvements?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
Sammy2

Forum Improvements?

Postby Sammy2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 am

Not sure if this is the best place but there really is no sub forum for this. Admin move if necessary.

I haven't used this forum much in the past 7 years as my Primes just hummed along doing their thing but now, with setting up a couple of Quatros to do OTA recordings and testing out PremiumTV I've come to realize that this forum is lacking in basic functionality. I few things it really needs:

Ability to upload photos to a server. I don't use any photo servers and now find my self posting in other photos to host photos to post here.

Dynamic Quoting where you can click on a post in a thread and it takes you to the post that is quoted so you can read posts in the area of that one to get better background. Not everyone reads threads from top to bottom and this will allow better understanding of the content without having to start a new thread or ask a question possibly already answered in the thread itself

A better editor. This editor is from forums of the ancient days, slightly better than being on a list server.

Other things I've probably not thought of yet that exist in more modern forums.

I know there's a lot to do at SiliconDust but an update to the forum software (not a la Plex though) is in order and not that hard to do.

Thanks for hearing me out.

nateb
Silicondust

Re: Forum Improvements?

Postby nateb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:40 am

Totally agree with pretty much everything listed. Any chance you'd be willing to reformart your post into a List? Perhaps we could start gathering various good ideas here for future fixing.

One note, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do picture uploading. Imgur does a really good job with that already. Better integration into imgur's service would be good though.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 am

Totally agree with pretty much everything listed. Any chance you'd be willing to reformart your post into a List? Perhaps we could start gathering various good ideas here for future fixing.

One note, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do picture uploading. Imgur does a really good job with that already. Better integration into imgur's service would be good though.
I would make a list but the forum software makes that a PITA too! LOL

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am

• Ability to upload photos to a server. I don't use any photo servers and now find my self posting in other forums just to host photos to post here.
  • Dynamic Quoting where you can click on a post in a thread and it takes you to the post that is quoted so you can read posts in the area of that one to get better background. Not everyone reads threads from top to bottom and this will allow better understanding of the content without having to start a new thread or ask a question possibly already answered in the thread itself
  • A better editor. This editor is from forums of the ancient days, slightly better than being on a list server.
  • Clicking a link opens in a new tab, leaving the current tab open to the page / post it is on.
  • For posing A url have the url= open in a dialog box. Currently this has to be edited manually. I can type it in almost as fast.
  • Other things I've probably not thought of yet that exist in more modern forums.

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Adding to list created by @Sammy2
  • Ability to upload photos to a server. I don't use any photo servers and now find my self posting in other forums just to host photos to post here.
  • Dynamic Quoting where you can click on a post in a thread and it takes you to the post that is quoted so you can read posts in the area of that one to get better background. Not everyone reads threads from top to bottom and this will allow better understanding of the content without having to start a new thread or ask a question possibly already answered in the thread itself
  • A better editor. This editor is from forums of the ancient days, slightly better than being on a list server.
  • Clicking a link opens in a new tab, leaving the current tab open to the page / post it is on.
  • For posing A url have the url= open in a dialog box. Currently this has to be edited manually. I can type it in almost as fast.
  • Other things I've probably not thought of yet that exist in more modern forums.
  • Add an ability for people to 'thank' and/or mark posts as 'useful'
  • @user tagging in posts
  • some method to persistent valuable information beyond the 3 month cull (appoint mods you can trust, or use the 'useful' above and if it scores above a threshold it gets saved, or something else)
  • Profile entry that is hidden and visible to just SD support to allow us to enter DeviceIDs so you don't have to keep asking us for them :)
  • Separate fora for premiumTV, DVR and View application?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Premium TV has now been separated into its own forum. I'm hesitant to separate the DVR and app into separate forums because they're so intertwined for most people.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Forums are forums. I can mostly live with the phpBB current capabilities and limitations. I don't visit for pretty, I visit for simple information, and 95% of the time text works well for that. For me, the only improvement I would like to see is improved spam blocking. There are numerous approaches, with mixed benefits and costs (nothing is perfect, because spammers will adapt). There are (paid? (Akismet, CleanTalk)) add-ons to integrate with various spam identification solutions. Alternatively, just require all posts go to moderation for new users (with one or more criteria to move to regular posting; yes, this likely requires more active participation by the SD staff), and/or forbid all posts with an embedded URL for new users (I think that is something like a 20 line function in submit_post()).

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am

Premium TV has now been separated into its own forum. I'm hesitant to separate the DVR and app into separate forums because they're so intertwined for most people.
Works nicely - thanks.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:17 pm

It would be better if a quotation showed who is being quoted rather than just a large quotation mark. That's particularly useful when Poster A starts a thread, Poster B says he has a similar problem and Poster C quotes Poster B in his response.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:16 pm

It would be better if a quotation showed who is being quoted rather than just a large quotation mark. That's particularly useful when Poster A starts a thread, Poster B says he has a similar problem and Poster C quotes Poster B in his response.
Agreed, this would be a big help, especially since the data is already there and the style we're using just doesn't display it. If you want to poke around in the phpBB styles database and suggest another option that would work better, we're opening to making a change. Prefer something with a clean, flat design like we have now, and it needs to work well on mobile and be compatible with phpBB 3.2.2.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Quote by jasonl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:16 pm
Agreed, this would be a big help, especially since the data is already there and the style we're using just doesn't display it. If you want to poke around in the phpBB styles database and suggest another option that would work better, we're opening to making a change. Prefer something with a clean, flat design like we have now, and it needs to work well on mobile and be compatible with phpBB 3.2.2.
I looked over the phpBB style options briefly but saw nothing about identifying quotes. But other forums that use phpBB, such as Schedules Direct, do identify them on the same line as the quote symbol. Others also give the date and time of the post. I suspect it's an option available with any style.

I did find How to Quote Messages of Other Posters - bbCode Basics which seems to be on point. While editing this post I saw that all the needed information is there so maybe it's just a syntax error: [kwote=jasonl post_id=327315 time=1536189414 user_id=7249] ("quote" intentionally misspelled to avoid complications). I tried variations including [kwote=jasonl] and [kwote="jasonl"] (spelled correctly) but nothing worked. Maybe I'll log into Schedules Direct, prepare a post quoting someone and see what it looks like in the editor.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm sure it will all magically show up if a different style was in use, since that data is present in the posts themselves, and just isn't being shown by the style. Right now we're using the we_universal style. I could probably go back through chat logs from years ago and find how we came to the decision to use this one, but I imagine it involved Nick and I looking through the styles and sending suggestions back and forth until we found one that we both liked. Yes, we could probably modify it to change the behavior, but that's time better spent on other projects. Simply switching to a new style is a lot less involved, but we'll leave it up to others to make some suggestions on what would work better.

ebo

Postby ebo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Quote citations definitely can work in we_universal. Look at this page in the French Car Forum, which is running phpBB 3.2.2 and we_universal 2.5.6-b1 or later (latest is 2.5.6-b3 dated 8/1/2018) by v12mike. A quotation shows the poster and the date/time of the post. There's also an up-arrow next to the poster that links to the quoted post.

I was led to that site by the we_universal for phpBB v3.2.3 topic on the phpBB website.

I don't know the proper syntax for all of that, but I did learn that the citation must be enclosed in quotes, which isn't happening here. For name only, the proper syntax is, for example,

OK, I'm done researching code I know nothing about.
Edit: And that's why I misspelled "quote" in my earlier posts. Let's try that again. The proper syntax (misspelled) is, for example, [kwote="jasonl"]. And now I'm done.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am

My request for forum improvement is actual posts go in the correct forum. Hardware in hardware. Software in software. This is not an SD issue, this is a user issue.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am

.... This is not an SD issue, this is a user issue.
And if you can figure out how to improve the users, please share. Or patent the business process and make trillions!

Given the users we have (not the users you might like to have), I suspect the only way to address the issue you are bringing up (which would also include off-topic tangents such as this) is additional admins/moderators with both the resources (time) to evaluate and to police the posts, and of course first a forum policy that supports that policing.

Return to “Development Support”