HDCP and Linux

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
rpcameron

HDCP and Linux

Postby rpcameron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:21 am

Intel is going to merge HDCP support into their DRM driver in the Linux kernel into Linux-Next/4.17. This will will finally allow userspace applications to have access to a protected pathway on devices with support Intel integrated graphics chipsets.

Any chance we will ever see CableCARD DRM support on a stand-alone Linux client, or will Linux always be relegated to functioning as a mere plugin using Kodi as a platform?

gtb
Expert

Re: HDCP and Linux

Postby gtb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Intel is going to merge HDCP support into their DRM driver in the Linux kernel into Linux-Next/4.17. This will will finally allow userspace applications to have access to a protected pathway on devices with support Intel integrated graphics chipsets.

Any chance we will ever see CableCARD DRM support on a stand-alone Linux client, or will Linux always be relegated to functioning as a mere plugin using Kodi as a platform?
Two different questions. First, HDCP support does not mean the platform itself is secure (as required by the rest of the requirements). It does, however, allow other platforms (I believe Chrome/Android were heard to be mentioned) to build upon the capability if they are sufficiently locked down (aka TiVo-ilazation). Second, as for a native Linux client (without protected path support), I have zero clue (although someone at SD did say at one point in the long ago past that some staff were Linux users so were interested in something more native longer term (there were no promises)), but I suspect that their focus will continue to be on delivering on platforms with significant customer base (and no matter what anyone says, this will yet again not be the year of the Linux desktop). Maybe when everything else works well someone will port the client to Linux and turn it into a flatpak.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm

My understanding of this patch set is that it enables HDCP on the integrated/internal Intel GPU and supports the verification of an encrypted pathway between the GPU and HDCP devices connected to the iGPU HDMI connector. Additionally, it does this in the kernel, allowing userspace apps to access this protected pathway. As far as the Android/ChromeOS comparisons: this support is already in those systems. This new support is for the mainline Linux kernel, which presently does not have the HDCP support present in ChromeOS.

Although, if we have to wait for SD to fully deliver their ecosystem that works well for everyone else on existing platforms, I suppose that means a proper Linux client will never materialize. Perhaps it was a bit of a wild dream to hope that someone would ever deliver DRM support for something other than Windows. (They almost had it with their Android client until they removed it ...)

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 pm

My understanding of this patch set is that it enables HDCP on the integrated/internal Intel GPU and supports the verification of an encrypted pathway between the GPU and HDCP devices connected to the iGPU HDMI connector.
Yes. but that gets you little because you can't get the data to render to the GPU via an unprotected path (which is what Linux is) and obtain certification for the entire path (it is not just the tail that matters, it is the entire path). If the GPU could decrypt (from DTCP-IP?) and then decode the content all within a protected enclave you might have something (that is how ARM does it, within the protected enclave), but that does not exist today in an open source project such as general purpose Linux (obviously a locked down Linux can do such).

Return to “Development Support”