VideoLAN VLC

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
macintoshd

Re: VideoLAN VLC

Postby macintoshd » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 am

Yeah, I saw the old ticket. AC3 used to work; it was removed recently.

I didn't file a new/separate ticket. [I probably should have, but I'm lazy, and it is a known issue, confirmed by the lead dev.]
So apparently they found out about the timezone check, but if you build it yourself you can still have AC3 support, you just need an iOS dev account. Thankfully this situation will end in 2017 when their patent expires. You can draw your own conclusions.

Clayton

Postby Clayton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 pm

iOS version of VLC 2.4.1 is available today. Good news is channels actually appear natively now, no mor copy/paste. Sadly, the audio does not. A popup displays regarding AC3. I think this is on the VLC side. Previously direct linking to a channel worked with audio.

shmick

Postby shmick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Yep. Pretty disappointed with the VLC update. Luckily I'm jailbroken, so I un-installed the latest version and went back to v2.3

This is what you see on the iOS app when attempting to watch video via the HDHR. Any chance of having a different audio codec to choose from on the HDTC units?

macintoshd

Postby macintoshd » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Yep. Pretty disappointed with the VLC update. Luckily I'm jailbroken, so I un-installed the latest version and went back to v2.3

This is what you see on the iOS app when attempting to watch video via the HDHR. Any chance of having a different audio codec to choose from on the HDTC units?

They could not do anything, Dolby will sue and issue a request for Apple to take it down. Wait until 2017, or compile the app on your own, (though source code will no longer be available publicly because people were doing paid rip offs on the app store taking advantage that VLC was gone from the app store because of several reasons, Dolby being one of them I suppose)

Only choice is for HDHomeRun to get Dolby to allow them to add transcoding.

jmf

Postby jmf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:38 am

Good news! Today's VLC for iOS beta supports audio playback directly from the HDHomeRun. Today's release is 2.6.0b3. I have no idea when that will be generally available on the App Store, but it's certainly encouraging.

jmf

Postby jmf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Bah! The latest beta removes AC3 audio. Let sigh.

czenisek

VLC on Chromebook, Chromebox

Postby czenisek » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:15 am

I found a way to get HDHomeRun to stream to Chromebooks using VLC. I credited this forum thread for helping me figure it out. More here: http://zenexp.blogspot.com/2015/12/watc ... omeos.html

tvparty2nite

Postby tvparty2nite » Thu May 12, 2016 11:11 am

Note that VLC for Mobile for iOS version 2.7.7 (May 11, 2016) now supports AC3 once again.

I can finally watch - and hear - my HDHR4-2US on my iPad and iPhone for free!

There's just one problem I'm running into. If I navigate using Local Network, I can see "HDHomeRun DMS 1042ED2C" and select it, and I can see the folders for Favorites and Channels. But if I try to select any channel, it acts like it's about to play, but never does. The first time it threw up an error and referred to the log, but a Web search indicated that you cannot view the log on the iOS version of VLC. So I have no idea what the problem is.

Next thing I tried, I turned to my Mac version of VLC and I copied the channel URLs from there and entered them into VLC for Mobile on iOS. That works. So if you're trying to do this, and you're running into the same problem when attempting to access the HDHR4-2US through VLC on iOS, here are the steps that work for me:
  1. Tap the cone icon.
  2. Tap Network Stream (not Local Network).
  3. Under Open Network Stream, enter a URL in this form, with the number at the end being the channel you want to watch:
    http://[IP address of your HDHomeRun]:5004/auto/v4.1
  4. Tap Open Network Stream.
If you press and hold your finger on a saved network stream, you will get Copy and Rename options. Copy is useful for entering more channels without having to retype the entire URL.

If anyone knows how to solve the direct access problem, please post because I sure don't want to have to enter all 47 channels that my unit receives. I suspect this might be a bug in VLC but I don't know enough to be sure.

Zike

Postby Zike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am

Hi,

Is it possible to target a specific tuner when using:

http://<device ip>:5004/auto/v<channel number>?transcode=native

Or is it possible to ask the request to be denied if all tuners are busy ?

My goal is to avoid stopping live recordings when someone starts VLC.

Right now it seems that the request always succeeds even if all tuners are busy, so it does stop live recordings.

Regards.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm

You can specify a tuner in place of "auto". http://ipaddress:5004/tuner1/vx.x?transcode=native

The request will be rejected if the tuner requested is locked, or if auto is used, if all tuners are locked. A tuner is automatically locked if tuning is done via HTTP (including the HDHomeRun DVR and DLNA), DRI (WMC/OpenDCT with HDHomeRun PRIME), the BDA driver (WMC, NextPVR, SageTV, etc. with devices other than HDHomeRun PRIME), and the WMP plugin. Applications that use libhdhomerun or the hdhomerun_config command line to control the HDHomeRun must explicitly lock the tuner in order to prevent other programs from taking it.

Return to “Development Support”