VideoLAN VLC

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
Clayton

Re: VideoLAN VLC

Post by Clayton » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 pm

I've noticed the desktop OS X version of VLC discovers the HDTC just fine via UPNP, displays a channel list, and plays them. The iOS version 2.2.2 detects the HDTC but never lists any channels. This leads me to think there is a bug in the iOS version. Has anybody been able to get this working? I upgraded to beta3 tonight and am seeing the same result.

Rex5

Post by Rex5 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:19 pm

cmh716,

I'm trying to execute the line of code you posted earlier via the terminal (OS X) and I'm getting tons of errors. Can you point me in the right direction to help me get started.

ffmpeg is located in my downloads folder
the mpg/ac3 file is located on my desktop (moved it from the .eyetv package)

1. seems like I have to prefix your command with this to get it to recognize ffmpeg…
open /Users/BlueAir/Downloads/ffmpeg
2. it errors out on "-map" portion, stating it "-m" is not a recognizable command, then it lists available commands

Please help, my goal is to be able to open the PLUS' transcoded file in SimpleMovieX where I can further edit out missed commercials and add chapter markers.

karog

Post by karog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 am

Rex5 wrote:cmh716,

I'm trying to execute the line of code you posted earlier via the terminal (OS X) and I'm getting tons of errors. Can you point me in the right direction to help me get started.

ffmpeg is located in my downloads folder
the mpg/ac3 file is located on my desktop (moved it from the .eyetv package)

1. seems like I have to prefix your command with this to get it to recognize ffmpeg…
open /Users/BlueAir/Downloads/ffmpeg
2. it errors out on "-map" portion, stating it "-m" is not a recognizable command, then it lists available commands
Simple answer is to use:

Code: Select all

/Users/BlueAir/Downloads/ffmpeg
ie drop the open. Unless ffmpeg is in a directory in your PATH environment variable, it will not be found so you need to use the full path to ffmpeg. But you do not need the open command.

Alternatively, you could move ffmpeg to an executable directory in PATH. To see what those directories are, do:

Code: Select all

echo $PATH
Most likely the reason you get the error for -m is that it is being interpreted for the open command rather than for ffmpeg.

Finally, when you ask questions like this, you should provide the full command you are using that is producing the error as well as a copy of the error rather than a description of it. To merely state that you modified some command someone posted elsewhere in the thread makes it much harder to help you. Some people who might help you will simply ignore you if you don't state the problem as clearly as you obviously could.

Rex5

Post by Rex5 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks so much karog,

Removing the "open" did the trick. You are right, I should have posted the full command.

The only piece I'm missing now is related to the audio, I don't have ffmpeg with the libfaac codec and was hoping I could substitute the libfacc codec for libvo_aacenc. Here is my command with libfaac…

/Users/BlueAir/Downloads/ffmpeg -i /Users/BlueAir/Desktop/testFS.mpg -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:1 -c:v copy -c:a:0 libfaac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -scodec copy -c:a:1 copy outputtest.m4v

Can you help me out with the libvo_aacenc substitution?

shmick

Post by shmick » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 pm

With the VLC iOS app, I can see the HDHomeRun HDTC-2US listed under UPNP devices, but it doesn't show me the full or favorite channel lineups.

If manually enter the URL for a network stream it does work.

ie: http://HDHomeRun:5004:/auto/v9.1?dlna&transcode=mobile

My 2 other UPNP/DLNA devices on the network fully work with the VLC iOS app, just not the HDHomeRun HDTC-2US.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 am

Do you have the latest firmware installed, and have you run a channel scan since updating?

shmick

Post by shmick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 am

jasonl wrote:Do you have the latest firmware installed, and have you run a channel scan since updating?
Latest firmware installed. Power cycled the unit and have done multiple channel scans.

This is what I see on the VLC iOS app:

This is what I see on the VLC desktop app:

Transcode settings:

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Suggest you open a bug report with VLC. https://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs

shmick

Post by shmick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 pm

jasonl wrote:Suggest you open a bug report with VLC. https://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs
I'll file a bug report.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the iOS VLC app?

jmf

Post by jmf » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 pm

shmick wrote:
jasonl wrote:Suggest you open a bug report with VLC. https://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs
I'll file a bug report.

Yep. Same behavior here.

jazzman346

Post by jazzman346 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:57 am

shmick wrote:
I'll file a bug report.

Yes, access to HDHR using UPNP never worked for me on iOS. Only way to access the stream is to manually enter each stream URL (including transcode profile) in the "Open Network Stream" tab.

macintoshd

Post by macintoshd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:45 pm

The issue is being tracked here:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/11667

jmf

Post by jmf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I installed the vlc for iOS 2.4 beta today and can confirm that UPNP browsing for the HDHomeRun does work. I can even select which of the enabled transcode settings I want to view when I select a channel.

BUT!

AC3 audio isn't supported. Not sure if this is a technical limitation or a legal one, but it's a real drag. I've filed a bug with the vlc folks.

[And my fingers are still crossed that the HomeRun will add support for AAC or MP3 audio.]

macintoshd

Post by macintoshd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:44 pm

jmf: See this https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/8984

Can you confirm that fixes it?

Can you provide a link to the ticket you have filed?

jmf

Post by jmf » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Yeah, I saw the old ticket. AC3 used to work; it was removed recently.

I didn't file a new/separate ticket. [I probably should have, but I'm lazy, and it is a known issue, confirmed by the lead dev.]