Feature request?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
Bubbster

Feature request?

Post by Bubbster »

Seems like the best forum to ask this, pardon the interruption if I'm wrong.

Since the newer models of tuners have no LEDs to show tuners in use, would it be possible for someone to write a utility to make a widget that shows this?

Or even have the SD devs make something like this happen in the existing config_gui:

TIA!

chris_in_texas

Re: Feature request?

Post by chris_in_texas »

That's kind of funny. I have the tuner in the dashboard of my Home Assistant so I can see quickly if any tuners are in use by Plex DVR or other users in the house.

https://imgur.com/a/fsVbK89

Just doing a simple screen scrape of the status screen. If you use the HDHomeRun Config GUI it simply shows the frequency on each tuner in use.

Chris

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Are you actually scraping the status screen (tuners) rather than status.json?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I'm apparently in need of a new project to avoid therapy, or so I've been recently told, and happen to be a Windows person; what are your expectations here? For Windows 7/10, something that sits in the tray and provides this status would seem appropriate, but Windows 11 has re-introduced "widgets".

If you can describe how you'd expect a Windows system tray icon to show you what you want to know, and what you'd expect a click/right-click on said icon would do, I may be game for something like this. Would you be OK with .NET 4.x as the minimum required framework, or would this need to be a C/C++ app that instead relies on a Visual C++ redistributable be available/installed?

Please keep in mind that any lack of specificity will always end up like this:

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

Something in the tray indicating which tuners are in use for Windows 7 would be brilliant. I do miss the "in use" lights on my new generation HDHR's.

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

As a suggestion, perhaps a small simple icon in the tray to indicate if ANY tuner is in use by its color and then hovering over/clicking the icon to show WHICH individual tuners are active. If you want to get really fancy maybe include which RF channels each tuner is using.

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts »

Thinking a bit more about it, the tray icon wouldn't need to change color for the ANY tuner in use part. Just disappear when no tuner in use and appear in the tray when any are active.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I'll PM you an e-mail address to hit me up on for this :)