SCRIBE and libhdhomerun discovery

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

SCRIBE and libhdhomerun discovery

Post by djp952 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 pm

When a SCRIBE device is discovered via libhdhomerun, what will the device type be set to? Will it be detected as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_TUNER or HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE?

I'm retooling my project to not care about what the type of device is and use things like the presence/absence of Lineup URLs and/or Storage URLs to decide what the capabilities are, but this particular flag would still be good to understand what to expect for a SCRIBE.

I also assume that SERVIO will always be HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE based on end user experiences already, but if that's incorrect I would appreciate being corrected :)

Thank you!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: SCRIBE and libhdhomerun discovery

Post by nickk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi,

SERVIO will identify itself as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE.

SCRIBE will show up twice, once as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_TUNER and once as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE.

Nick

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 pm
Hi,

SERVIO will identify itself as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE.

SCRIBE will show up twice, once as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_TUNER and once as HDHOMERUN_DEVICE_TYPE_STORAGE.

Nick
Thank you Nick, I very much appreciate the quick response.

Follow-up question based on changes I've already made guessing how to deal with this ... will the HDHOMERUN_TAG_BASE_URL for both of these responses be the same with a SCRIBE? I changed things around to use the presence of "LineupURL" and/or "StorageURL" in the JSON discovery data to determine if the device has tuner(s) and/or storage available, but I think based on this information a SCRIBE user would end up with duplicate entries for a single device this way. I can de-duplicate on the base URL, if that's how SCRIBE works.

I guess I'm asking if a SCRIBE shows up as two devices everywhere (my.hdhomerun.com/discover and libhdhomerun), or if it will be collapsed into a single device instance in the discovery JSON and just have both sets of attributes.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Would you like me to send you a packet capture of the discover response and a discover.json file from an actual SCRIBE?

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

That would be fantastic, and much appreciated Jason! I just want to get it right for folks :)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

YGM.