Question regarding using ClientID and SessionID on Recorded TV PlayURLs

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
djp952

Question regarding using ClientID and SessionID on Recorded TV PlayURLs

Postby djp952 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Hello, I have a question regarding the use of the ClientID and SessionID parameters in conjunction with accessing recordings on the HDHomeRun RECORD engine.

As documented in the API, I supply ClientID and SessionID parameters when accessing Live TV channels via the BaseURL. However, when accessing recorded streams via their PlayURL I do not currently supply these. What I have noticed is that when a recording is in-progress the PlayURL returns a live stream, as in the Content-Range: header <range-end> is set to the INT64_MAX and the <size> is unknown ("*").

Code: Select all

Content-Range: bytes 0-9223372036854775806/*

In order to allow the HDHomeRun RECORD engine to properly handle the stream while the recording is in progress across multiple clients, should I be providing ClientID and SessionID parameters to the PlayURL? If yes, is it harmful to always send them even if the recording has completed and now has a fixed Content-Range?

Side question: I have thus far interpreted the SessionID "hex32" format to mean a series of 32 hexadecimal characters, or a 128-bit value. Is this interpretation correct, or was "hex32" intended to indicate a hexidecimal 32-bit value (8 characters)? Adding some samples to the documentation may be helpful for others to ensure the ClientID and SessionIDs are formed properly.

As always, thanks for your time!

Return to “Development Support”