How to start developing?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
MaxFrustration

How to start developing?

Postby MaxFrustration » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:10 am

I'm a software engineer by trade. Mostly I do C++ but have also used other languages. I use Windows 10 as my OS. Is there any documentation that describes how to start developing? Interface to the device or the HDHomeRun App code?

MaxFrustration

Re: How to start developing?

Postby MaxFrustration » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 am

Thank you!

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am

Also, there's the libhdhomerun repo on GitHub if you decide to go that route.

jay343

Postby jay343 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:06 pm

There is a TODO in the HTTP Devlopment Guide: TODO: Document HTTP streaming video with DTCP-IP content protection. Is there any guidance for consuming a protected stream?

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Is there any guidance for consuming a protected stream?
One can get the public summary at the DTLA site. To get the actual details, your company will have to sign various agreements and become at least an evaluator, which is (as I recall) 5 figures, which primarily will help your team decide based on your business model how many zeros you will have to add to that initial investment order of magnitude number to meet the requirements to develop a viable product for your market.

jay343

Postby jay343 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 am

What about for strictly personal use? I'm not interested in product development.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am

you would still need to do the same... also keep in mind the millions of potential liability if you don't preserve all the requirements

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 am

What about for strictly personal use?
If you want to learn the principals, start with the public docs. However, to set expectations (and to reiterate what signcarver said), without going through the entire process, and the certification, you will never be able to get actual access to any real protected content (the content path is cryptographically protected, and you will not be able to obtain valid keys from the organization). There were various public sample codes (which I presume used the knowledge from the more detailed docs, but AFAIK did not come with any required licenses to any potentially included IP) that were floating around a number of years ago (and I presume you can still find them), but all used demonstration servers/keys that would not be sufficient in any real environment without far more effort. There were also (have not checked recently) a couple of companies that had announced libraries available for purchase/license.

Return to “Development Support”