HDHR OS

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
chart2006

HDHR OS

Postby chart2006 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 am

Maybe there's a collection of people here that could help me as I've come up short on a "perfect" solution. Our HOA expanded the gym and installed 3 TVs. Now I have a Prime and since the HOA subscribes to TV service with Comcast, as do I, the prime worked beautifully. The three TVs were able to stream from the Prime with little issue but unfortunately I had to use the DLNA interface portion of the TV to navigate to the desired channels which is not ideal for general users of the TV - all the TVs are Vizio which doesn't support RUI and doesn't have an HDHR app.

So here's my problem. I want to make the interface or the ability to launch the HDHR app as simplified as possible for users. So the question becomes what are my options to not just make launching an app simple but preventing users from accessing other apps and messing up the settings (Android TV/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.). Ideally it would be like turning on a cable box and you're first presented with the HDHR interface. The best option is if there was either an app through Vizio or Vizio supporting RUI but at the moment neither are an option.

It would be awesome if there were a type of HDHR operating system that can be installed on an ARM based device. Hint Hint SD! ;)

ebo

Re: HDHR OS

Postby ebo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:53 am

I think the programmers at SD have enough on their plate right now without trying to write a new OS. However, there might be a way with a slight modification of the existing Kodi addon. IIRC, Kodi can be set up to boot into any addon you wish. I don't know if there's a way to prevent exiting from an addon but if not it should be easy for SD to add a runtime parameter to disable the exit option. That would leave the Kodi device on all the time but many such devices are low power so that shouldn't be a problem.

chart2006

Postby chart2006 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

SD definitely has enough on their plate, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment. While I'm familiar with Kodi I have limited experience using it because it hasn't been necessary. Here's the problem with Kodi, the HDHR app is available on Android so a Kodi app wouldn't be useful since I can just as easily launch the HDHR app. Now if the Kodi app on a Kodi TV box launches automatically at boot-up then that would be useful. Do you know if the Kodi media center app does auto launch?

chart2006

Postby chart2006 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:47 pm

So the more I investigate my dilemma the more I think I may have somewhat of a solution. Using specific apps such as SureLock there's a mode that can be utilized on an Android TV called Kiosk mode. SureLock essentially locks down the device turning into a Kiosk. SureLock has a "Single Application Mode" which will auto launch and run in the foreground a single of my choosing. The app essentially locks down the device and only allows access to whatever apps I designate. I'm going to purchase a cheap Android TV set-top box and demo the app. Hopefully it's exactly what I need.

chart2006

Postby chart2006 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:09 am

Update:
I want to report that the use of SureLock worked as I had hoped. SureLock has a Single Application Mode that auto launches a single app upon boot up. I tested it using $30 Android TV box I bought from Amazon. The only real issue I've found is when using Wi-Fi. The SureLock app sometimes auto launches the HDHR app before the Wi-Fi connects which results in an error message from the HDHR app. Fortunately the HDHR app asks if I'd like to retry of which results in a good connection. My plan is to use Wi-Fi to begin with and eventually run Ethernet directly to each TV for a more stable and consistent connection. The bad thing about the box I have now is that it is excruciatingly slow at boot up but once it loads the HDHR app everything works great. I will say there was one time in which the HDHR app did not auto launch. Fortunately when this happened SureLock still loaded into its launcher view which only shows the one app, HDHR, of which you can click on to launch.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks for the find. If you can isolate the wifi band to 5 GHz.

Comcast is in the process of switching the extended basic HD channels from mpeg2 to h.264. If your area has done so already those channels will work typically very well on wifi and the local mpeg2 may fail horribly depending on the processor in the android box; SD has tweaked the firmware for using the 905 chips and Kit Kat but I would be looking for those that Kodi approves of [this is not to mean you find their software already loaded on it - most of those are modified to work with that box only]. I believe Minix and Tronsmart are trusted makers and recommend one with android 6.0 minimum. Then you have Android TV [not to be confused with android on an STB] which is in essence a replacement for Google TV as a level of certification. The lower priced units are the Mi box [with 6.0] and Nexus Player; both available at $69.

chart2006

Postby chart2006 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:56 am

The Android TV box I was using to test this was an Edal HM8 Android 6.0 TV box with an Amlogic S905X CPU. Unfortunately this specific Android TV box only supports 2.4Ghz however the box I plan to order uses the newer Amlogic S912 and does support dual band wifi (i.e. 5Ghz) and yes I can isolate/utilize just the 5Ghz band when setting the box up. Once I have the box setup I'll remove any additional software installed and then proceed to install SureLock. There is a way to exit SureLock with a pin number so the admin can change any settings within the Android TV box itself so I found no issues there. Hopefully the better Android TV box won't have the same issues with connecting to the wifi that the HM8 did.

I heard about Comcast migrating away from MPEG2. Last I checked though my area wasn't on the radar for the switch anytime soon and as of now it's still broadcasting in MPEG2. I'm actually excited for the transition since h.264 has more hardware acceleration support than MPEG2 and the smaller size will be beneficial for storage.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Something to look for is Android 6.0 as a minimum OS which includes mpeg2 codec. This will lighten the load on the processors.

Eventually Comcast will get to you as it is part of there push to deliver content "anywhere" in their ads. They are probably nearly done with all the major markets now and moving towards others that may still have analog streams. Those areas will need updates in equipment and it sort of good for you the later they get to it. Then it will probably be legacy equipment changes from Cisco to Motorola for more uniformity and the ability to offer the X-1 in all markets.

sidmehra

Postby sidmehra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 am

Maybe there's a collection of people here that could help me as I've come up short on a "perfect" solution. Our HOA expanded the gym and installed 3 TVs. Now I have a Prime and since the HOA subscribes to TV service with Comcast, as do I, the prime worked beautifully. The three TVs were able to stream from the Prime with little issue but unfortunately I had to use the DLNA interface portion of the TV to navigate to the desired channels which is not ideal for general users of the TV - all the TVs are Vizio which doesn't support RUI and doesn't have an HDHR app.

So here's my problem. I want to make the interface or the ability to launch the HDHR app as simplified as possible for users. So the question becomes what are my options to not just make launching an app simple but preventing users from accessing other apps and messing up the settings (Android TV/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.). Ideally it would be like turning on a cable box and you're first presented with the HDHR interface. The best option is if there was either an app through Vizio or Vizio supporting RUI but at the moment neither are an option.

It would be awesome if there were a type of HDHR operating system that can be installed on an ARM based device. Hint Hint SD! ;)
Does installing KODI on Vizio Smart TV help in any way?
https://goo.gl/pdBP9R

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am

Does installing KODI on Vizio Smart TV help in any way?
https://goo.gl/pdBP9R
That's actually not what is happening in the article. That was referring to installing Kodi on another device hooked up to the TV.

Return to “Development Support”