Tips for interfacing with HDHomeRun's tv source

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
jgogstad

Tips for interfacing with HDHomeRun's tv source

Postby jgogstad » Mon May 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to provide tv signals to HDHomerun from an encrypted DVB-C tv source. My cable vendor encrypts all their signals, and they provide CAM-modules for anyone who doesn't want to use their set-top box. Unfortunately the HDHomerun Expand doesn't have a CI-slot for the CAM-module, so I have to figure something out to decrypt the signal before it arrives at HDHomerun. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking that the first step of the solution is to decrypt the signal. OpenELEC maintains a list of compatible tuners and the CT2-4650 looks like the most decent one with both CI-slot and DVB-C support.

Now that I have the decrypted MPEG-2/4 stream, I'm a bit stuck
  • I can take the signal in on a raspberry pi, but how do I transmit it to the HDHomerun? Is it possible to provide the video signal through the http interface? Alternatively, how would I go about to write the signal to a Coax-cable?
  • Is there any way to take the USB-input directly to HDHomerun and skip the raspberry pi all together? Can I force the tuner to use that input somehow?

signcarver
Expert

Re: Tips for interfacing with HDHomeRun's tv source

Postby signcarver » Mon May 15, 2017 2:44 pm

You seem to be misunderstanding what the device does... as it is a TUNER that puts the digital rf stream onto your network (not coax). So it pretty much also does what you suggested in getting it to your raspberry pi. Unfortunately it can't do anything for the decryption so isn't the tuner you are looking for.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Mon May 15, 2017 3:05 pm

What country are you in? You may want to look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=113&t=65016#p294908

jgogstad

Postby jgogstad » Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 pm

You seem to be misunderstanding what the device does... as it is a TUNER that puts the digital rf stream onto your network (not coax). So it pretty much also does what you suggested in getting it to your raspberry pi. Unfortunately it can't do anything for the decryption so isn't the tuner you are looking for.
That's true, problem is that - as you point out - this tuner doesn't like encrypted signals. So the point of the raspberry pi is to decrypt the rf-signal first and then send it to the HDHomerun. The coax enters the picture because it's one way of transmitting signals to the HDHomerun. I would very much like HDHomerun to make the rf signal available on my network, the real goal of this project is using Channels on my Apple TV as a DVR, and that application only interfaces with HDHomerun.

If the only way to decrypt the signal is with a separate tuner and a raspberry pi, then I guess the signal would need to be modulated again before it's sent to the HDHomerun. I'm not good at radio, but there exists some converters that let you convert from HDMI to Coax. Don't know if there would be some signal loss though.
What country are you in? You may want to look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=113&t=65016#p294908
I'm in Norway so the HDHomerun Extend (HDHR3-4DC) looks like something I can use, if only I can get the decryption to work.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 am

Should have guessed by your handle. Home of my ancestors, well most of them. Possibly Get AS or maybe Canal Digital?

jgogstad

Postby jgogstad » Tue May 16, 2017 8:29 am

Should have guessed by your handle. Home of my ancestors, well most of them. Possibly Get AS or maybe Canal Digital?
Yep, Canal Digital. Both vendors are cutting unencrypted signals from their networks later this year.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue May 16, 2017 11:00 am

All of this would most likely be far more expensive than you wish... basically once you decrypt the signal on the pi, that is in the format that the hdhomerun would send out, so what you are proposing doing, while possible, wouldn't be necessary, except to get it to Channels. However for Channels to work, you would need as many tuners as possible stations you wish to watch, as well as that nearly that many qam modulators to create virtual channels (usually around 1000-3000 euros each but can handle maybe 3-4 channels per mux with an i5 or i7 processing it) then in a sense create your own cable system... all this to get Channels to work with what the pi did alone with the other tuner but won't support channels. To not do this basically means Channels has only 1 channel, the single channel "output" of the pi going to a single qam modulator. Also about pricing, you would need to make your own qam channel... not just "extend" hdmi over coax.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 pm

I see that all broadcasts are in AVC so hopefully that is across the board with all supplied channels. Also found a wiki on someone who used MythTV https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Digi ... _--_Norway
and a device they found that can use a CC. Signcarver understands this stuff better than I but ultimately it may be a dead end. Given overall tech these days it would be nice if they created an android app that would allow access including on demand content.

But like here now their is probably no govt effort to create universal consumer choice tuners.

jgogstad

Postby jgogstad » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm

All of this would most likely be far more expensive than you wish... basically once you decrypt the signal on the pi, that is in the format that the hdhomerun would send out, so what you are proposing doing, while possible, wouldn't be necessary, except to get it to Channels. [snip]
You're right, I looked around a bit for qam modulators, and I see they are quite expensive. Guess I have to cross my finger for a CI/CI+ slot in the HDHomerun if I'm ever going to get rid of the set top box.
I see that all broadcasts are in AVC so hopefully that is across the board with all supplied channels. Also found a wiki on someone who used MythTV https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Digi ... _--_Norway
and a device they found that can use a CC. Signcarver understands this stuff better than I but ultimately it may be a dead end. Given overall tech these days it would be nice if they created an android app that would allow access including on demand content.

But like here now their is probably no govt effort to create universal consumer choice tuners.
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out. Using Myth-TV and/or Plex with some other tuner looks like a more viable path at the moment.

Return to “Development Support”